“Excellent value but no wifi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tianci Service Apartment

You added Tianci Service Apartment to your Saves list
Tianci Service Apartment
No.429 Guangdong Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Ranked #274 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent value but no wifi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Very central and excellent value. The apartment was cleaned everyday and new towels supplied. There was a kitchen but no cooking utensils. No wifi. Service was very good and the receptionists very helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have stayed in these apartments five times over the past two years and have been most pleased. Shanghai can be a very expensive city as far as accommodations and this place is a gem and great value for the money. I've stayed in units that have a comfy living room and separate bedroom. There's a small kitchen with fridge and microwave. If you plan to do any cooking, you will have to buy or essentially rent the cooking gear.

Another great thing about this place is how central it is to central Shanghai. The pedestrian mall at the Nanjing Dong Lu is minutes away by foot as is the pleasant People's Park, main shopping areas and strolling along the mighty Huangpu River is about 15 minutes away by foot as well.

There's also free internet though you may want to bring your own CAT5 cord.

Room Tip: For some reason, I'm partial to the B or C rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Park City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Was booked to stay here as temporary housing while in Shanghai! I stayed for a total of 7 hours and checked out the next day! Very bare bones, outdated furniture, one TV, super slow broadband, poor lighting, etc.! But the negative experience continued! I returned back to the hotel a few hours later when I noticed I left two large zip lock bags in one of the cabinets. They were gone! They also charged my credit card 13,000RMB and much to my frustration my colleague had to constantly call on the status of my credit. It took this property almost 2 1/2 months to credit my account, even though they assured me I would be credited within 30 days! Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Kashmir
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

A delightful stay is what I had here and it was especially so due to the courteous and helpful staff.
I was only booked for a night as I had a flight to catch the next day.
Since very late check-outs are not possible, I was given an upgrade on my booking without having to ask for it.
I was traveling alone but, If you are traveling with family this is the place to stay.
Spacious, well furnished and very secure, it's just a stone's throw away from the famed Bund which makes for a delightful walk in the evening.
I would definitely stay again whenever I travel there next.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We moved into a 2 bedroom suite after 2 nights in horrid rooms at a nearby hotel, and we loved it! With 2 children and a baby we appreciated the space. Rooms clean and bathroom ok. Small kitchen with microwave and fridge but no utensils. Laundry service expensive so we took ours to a business in the liltong opposite for 24 hour service. Small buffet breakfast ok and free broadband that we coverted to wifi with a mobile wifi device. Spent 6 nights here at around Y770 (more than Y659 advertised on cnet.com due to service charge). Marketing manager was very helpful to recommend great restaurants and shopping. Great location too.

• Stayed October 2011
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

My extended family lives in Shanghai but we (my mother and my brother) didn't want to crowd up their homes so we decided to stay at Tianci. It's my mom's hometown and she often travels here for business so I trusted her with the location of our lodging arrangements.

While it isn't cheap, it's not a ridiculous amount to pay for quality accommodation. (I think it was about 600RMB/night? We stayed in a 2-bedroom, 1 bathroom, with kitchen) It's clean, simple, modern, staff is very friendly, front desk had an OK knowledge of English, very prompt in our requests for toiletries, water cooler refill, etc, breakfast served downstairs, and despite it being in a slightly busy area, there were no noise disturbances. They were extremely accommodating when we decided mid-stay that we wanted to travel to Beijing for a few days. We weren't charged for our absence and they allowed us to keep some luggage stowed in the lobby.

Location is everything and Tianci has got it. It's a 10 minute walk from the busy Nanjing Road (somewhat of a touristy area with lots to do, see, and eat), the exact street it's on isn't fancy, just a regular street with local shops, may be an eyesore to some, but then again we're not in Pudong, keep that in mind. There are buses everywhere, but I can't recall if the metro was nearby. They have a cute little Italian-HK styled restaurant downstairs, food is decent, and tiny local food stands and convenience stores across the street and all around the block.

My only complaint was that the gym was closed for renovation (not a big deal, it happens) and the bathroom seems kind of stark and cold...a big contrast to how the rest of the apartment looks and feels. This I can live with.

While I may or may not stay here again (I like trying out new places), I highly recommend Tianci Service Apts to anyone who likes the round the clock accommodations provided by a hotel but with an intimate "at home" feel. Tianci is not a luxury hotel a la Shangri-La or Four Seasons, it is simple comfort in a convenient area.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Stayed in their 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment on the 16th floor. Very convenient location (near the road tunnel that cars use to get accross to Pudong), 10 mins from Nanjing East Road, 15 mins from People's Square, 15 mins to the Bund, 15 mins to the Yu Yuan Gardens.
First day, it was a little dusty but once we settled, everything looked ok. Only issues we had were that the heater was not working too well (too hot or too cold randomly, probably the heating system is old) & that the breakfast was too continental, too much eggs ... unless one opts for the local version which is pretty bland when it is compared to most dishes in Shanghai.
A little bit of walk to the nearest Metro (Henan Rd) but definately a colourful place to stay. Definately for holiday makers looking for the local taste of things. If you are expecting 5 star service, location and amneties, then, this would not be the place for you. For their rates, definately good value.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The heating in the bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tianci Service Apartment? Share your experiences!