“Good hotel for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Jade Sunshine Hotel

You added Golden Jade Sunshine Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Jade Sunshine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1888 Zhoujiazui Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai 200082, China (The North Bund)   |
Ranked #349 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Harrogate
“Good hotel for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Yes, its location is not ideal, but at the price it is a very good choice. Staff are extremely helpful, and the rooms well-appointed. For getting about, taxis are cheap and plentiful. Shanghai is not my favourite Chinese city but it does have a 'buzz'.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as part of a Travelsphere tour, highlights of China. Pleasent enough rooms, as only there for a couple of days as part of the tour. Thin towels, fairly hard beds, but it didnt really bother us. Clean room.

At the time smoking was allowed in the resturant, and it made you realise how horrible the smell of cigarette smoke when you where dining before the smoking ban used to be.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed at this hotel as part of our tour of China with Travelsphere. We arrived at 0130 and our bags arrived at 0200, to room 502 on the fifth floor.
The room was quite spacious with two double beds, which were comfortable. We couldn’t find our toothbrushes but were happy that the hotel provided them as well as Toothpaste and this is the norm in all Chinese hotels. There was also a comb for each person as well as a shower cap. Toiletries were also provided. There was a water cooler with a hot water function but ours didn’t work. As we were in the hotel so little during our three nights stay there I didn’t bother to rectify the matter.
Breakfast is from 0600 to 1000 and was reasonable with a selection of cereals, eggs in various forms as well as lots of Chinese goodies to taste if that is to your liking. As is the case in most of the world apart from the British Isles the bacon is Streaky so of not much use to anyone watching the fat intake? The coffee was drinkable and that was the same throughout our trip in China. That was a surprise as having travelled throughout Europe it is surprising how many establishments provide you with second, or even third rate, coffee.
We didn’t have any other meals there, apart from breakfast, as we eat in local restaurants as part of our tour. One point to note that in China food is cooked in large quantities of Salt, Fat and Sugar, even vegetables. Spices seem to be used sparingly and are often added after the food is cooked so I was surprised at the lack of taste in many of the dishes. I had this confirmed by several of our guides as we travelled. I was told before I went to China that the food would not be the same as we get in Chinese Restaurants in England but I didn’t expect that much of a difference.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I stayed at this hotel last year in march. Actually, I was rather satisfied with my choice but there are a few issues which contribute to a lower rating.
Advatages:
- Beautiful rooms. In my opinion, one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever been to. They are big, very clean, equipped with everything one could need and have a special atmoshere.
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- Nice common areas with Chinese influence in furniture and architecture.

Disadvatages:
- Location. There is nothing of interest in that area, even no posibilities to have a drink. The only way (exept taxis) to get to the Bund is taking a bus (up to half an hour!!) and it is complicated to find the bus station, especially on the way back from the Bund to the hotel.
- Breakfast is tasteless and served in ugly rooms, partly without windows.
- No spa area in the hotel (at least I couldn't find any)
- Appearance from outside is nothing special, just a simple block which cannot be compared to the stunning hotel architecture in Shanghai (but this is a minor issue)

To sum it up, I do not regret having stayed in the Golden Jade Sunshine but there are surely better choices.

Shanghai as a city is well worth a visit. It does not have the same historical and cultural feeling as Beijing but is a perfect example if you want to see how a nation's national economy can prosper. Quaters like Pudong, the Bund or Nanjing street as well as the French quater and also other places are just gorgeous, whereas the "old city" and everything else connected with Chinese traditions is disappointing. All in all, I loved Shanghai and hope to return one day but prefer Beijing.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Location, breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

Hotel part of the Travelsphere Discover China Tour.
Nothing much around the hotel and views from the hotel were of building sites. However planned activities on both nights meant that the location wasn't a problem. Supermarket across the road was brilliant for cheap beer and chocolate.
Smoky in the bar area but we were on the non-smoking floor so that was OK.
Rooms large and well appointed with all possible toiletries etc.
Shower was good, had an enormous bath.
I didn't like the hot/cold water dispenser in the room thought the water tasted strange. It seemed to take forever to boil and didn't seem that hot. I would buy alternative bottled water from the supermarket and drink that.
Breakfast was adequate.
A Satisfactory stay.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

If you're not after a hotel smack-bang in the middle of all the activity in Shanghai, then look no further!

The Golden Jade Sunshine Hotel was great in terms of cleaniness, comfort and friendliness. Rooms were tastefully decorated & large, and bathrooms had a generous shower and vanity area. If you are sensitive to smoke though, do yourself a favour and book yourself onto the non-smoking floor because people in Shanghai smoke (and spit...ugh) absolutely everywhere!

It's about a 15minute taxi ride from Nanjing road and there's not really alot happening in the area around the hotel- although there's a great convinient store across the road where you can grab some 2 minute noodles for the midnight munchies.

Hotel provided complimentary bottled water everyday and hotel slippers, and you can even rent a plug adaptor so you can charge your camera, phones, etc.

Breakfast was a little ho-hum. Loved the variety, but everything tasted bland and oily. Typical of Shanghai food I guess, so can't complain...plus can't go out and get breakie anywhere else since there was no where else local to eat!

I reccommend this hotel if you are after a quiet location to stay in, or if you're on tour or staying with young kids. Otherwise if you are after more things to do and more places to wonder in your free time, I highly reccommend staying somewhere else closer to Nanjing road.

Stayed March 2007
Rijeka, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2007

I've stayed at Golden Jade Sunshine Hotel in Shanghai in January and I've had a great time. Hotel is situated out of the city centre but I didn't mind that much because taxis are cheap and they can get you anywhere. The neighbourhood is nice and very convenient because there are several supermarkets, a pharmacy and other amenities one can find useful.
The interior of the hotel is designed in oriental style and our room was in oriental style also. The room was very comfortable and nice. The only shortcoming was that our window was overlooking a construction site just a few meters away from our hotel which made a horrible view and noise from 7am untill 4 pm. The room is equipped with satellite TV so you can watch CNN, HBO and a number of Chinese TV stations and there is also a broadband connection which is not free. Since I didn't bring my laptop with me I wanted to use the internet at the business centre but I was told that all the non-Chinese websites were not available because of some mechanical problem (!?).
The staff was really nice and helpful. They spoke both English and German very well.
We had a buffet breakfast which was really nice. We could choose between Chinese breakfast and a Western one.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Golden Jade Sunshine Hotel? Share your experiences!