“What do you expect from a 3 Star hotel? But very convenient!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jinchen Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jinchen Hotel to your Saves list
Jinchen Hotel
No.795-809 Middle Huaihai Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200020, China (Huaihai Road)   |
Ranked #915 of 3,845 Hotels in Shanghai
Hangzhou, China
“What do you expect from a 3 Star hotel? But very convenient!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at Jinchen Hotel due to the fact it is conveniently located, close to Metro, shopping areas, public transport and restaurants and bars.
HOTEL
This is a 3 Star hotel so do not complaint, and do not expect facilities of a 5 Star hotel.
ROOM
My standard room was so tiny, about 20sqm or less. Bed was clean and comfortable.
BREAKFAST
Breakfast was 3 Star standards. It was a buffet breakfast and there was nothing to highlight about food. It was too basic for me.
WIFI
Although WiFi was FREE, the signal often dropped out and needed to reconnect, some patience was needed.
STAFF
Staff is friendly but I wouldn’t say professional. However, I felt as if this hotel was run by a family.
CONCLUSION
This is not a hotel if you are planning to spend your honeymoon. This is the perfect hotel for a business traveler or individual traveler who is budget conscious with the convenience to many facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Jose
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My secretary booked this hotel so I can visit the downtown Shanghai and avoid traffic. The only good thing about this hotel was location and mabe clean bed. Other than that, this hotel is terrible. In my last 10 years I have stayed in hotels, this my first online review so you can understand how dissapointed I was with this hotel. By no means they were cheap. They gave me a smoking room and did not notify me. When I complained about the smell and asked specifically if it was smoking/non-smoking, they were not upfront about it. The house cleaning ran back to the room with a spray and I did not allow it and immediately asked for a room change. They moved me to the 7th floor, apparently this floor is the only non-smoking floor. By no means, this was any better but atleast liveable. The carpet was bad, the bathrooms had mold and it still smelled but not as bad as the one in floor 3. Anyway, I WILL NEVER visit this hotel again. Lets not even talk about bfast..thought some of the stuff was from previous day(juice, bread etc)..so avoid that as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Issoire, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel each time I come to Shanghai - about 4 times per year - for the last 4 years. The rooms are generally reasonably clean although some need to be redecorated. Best rooms are on the 7th (top) floor - no smoking rooms. Free wifi available. Breakfast buffet quite good.
The location is top! Close to the subway station (line 1 and 10) and all major shops. Prices are quite good for a hotel located in the center of one of China's major and fastest growing business cities.

Room Tip: Non smoking - 7th (top) floor. More quiet and possibility to keep a window open at night.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Loomis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This hotel was recommended by a Shanghai business associate. He booked a standard room for me at 698RMB. I could not believe when I opened room 608: Dark, dirty carpets (blood stain?), chair wedged between the bed and the window, overlooking the view of the 15 foot satellite dish. Air conditioner did not work. TV had jumping horizontal lines. The bed was a slab of concrete. The furnishings pre-Ming. Closet could not fit my clothes properly - it is half the depth of a regular closet. The wireless internet did not work in my room, so I sat on the stair well - so slow it took 45 minutes to download 3 days of email. I asked the front desk about the 'net, and they said everything was fine. One star hotel at best. Needless to say I complained and asked for a room that was functional. I moved into a deluxe room (828RMB) and it was like being in another hotel! Modern, clean, spacious, functional. Even the free toiletries and towels were different. Although the best way to use internet in this hotel is through the LAN. If you stay take measures to assure you get the "Jekyll" room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We stayed for 6 nights at the Jinchen Hotel on Huaihai Rd. in the French Concession area, which is fairly centrally located and well accessible to most of the places you'll probably be headed. It's about a 5 minute walk from the closest station (South Shaanxi Rd) and surrounded by nothing but shopping and restaurants, including a highly rated Peking duck restaurant right across the street on the 4th floor.

We stayed in a Queen Superior room, which was much bigger than the cheapest rooms and very nice - the central heating was much warmer (trip was in January) than the wall A/C units you normally see in China, so I imagine it would also stay very comfortable in the summer as well.

The staff was why this place got a 4 instead of a 5 - one of the managers was extremely helpful and friendly with great English, but other than her the staff was just ok. Everyone had at least a basic understanding of English, but we had communication troubles on a few instances and wound up trying to write things down for them to understand for things outside of basic things (we speak Japanese and can write about half the characters they use). One thing I found strange was that they only gave us 1 free breakfast pass for the room with 2 people staying.

Overall, great place for the price and I would stay there again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

The staff at this hotel was very friendly and accommodating to us while we were there, They serve a fine breakfast buffet with western and eastern style food and, best of all for me, free coffee refills! This made my day.
Location is great on a major road in the French Concession. We walked a few blocks to the subway and had no problem getting around town. Walking in the neighborhood was great and we did that several days. There are lots of good restaurants close by to choose from.
We took a train to Suzhou one day, and the staff got the tickets for us to save us the hassle of going through Chinese lines without speaking the language (there was a charge for this service). We took the subway to the train on our own with no problems.
Our room was quiet, even though we were right above the busy street, because they have two heavy windows insulating you from the outside noise. We never heard a thing at night with the windows closed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

We spent 4 nights in this hotel, and thought it was good value for the money.

The location is really excellent, in the French Concessions area, with plenty of nice stores, restaurants, close to the action yet not too touristy, with a local flavor which we appreciated. The hotel is not too big (only 7 floors), which we liked too, the staff speak enough English for easy communication, they're not the warmest, but very efficient. They arranged train tickets, and made reservations for us at another hotel, which was helpful.
We got a good rate (500rmb with two breakfasts) on the hotel website (www.jinchenhotel.com). Our room was a bit small, but it was quiet, clean and comfortable. It had a tv, your standard comforts, the bathroom was large and clean. Some of the rooms are very modern, they must have been recently renovated. Our room, given the rate, was one of the old ones, but we liked its vintage look, it made it special! The room wasn't worn out or dirty, it just has an old look.
Breakfast was reasonable, with a buffet with enough choice (juices, fruit, pastries, eggs, noodles, meat, vegetables, eggs etc). There was wifi internet and free computers in the lobby (which was nice, considering that even more expensive hotels charge a lot to let you use their computers).

In brief, this is not a luxury hotel, so if you're looking for a plush accommodation I wouldn't recommend it. But if you want a clean room, an excellent location, efficient staff at a reasonable price, this hotel is a good deal! I recommend using their website (see above) to book and get better rates.

• Liked — Location, small size hotel, charming, efficient staff
  • Disliked — Staff could be a bit warmer
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jinchen Hotel? Share your experiences!