“Hotel is ok, but nothing for single females” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Save Saved
You added Le Royal Meridien Shanghai to your Saves list
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.789 Nanjing East Road, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #44 of 3,883 Hotels in Shanghai
Providence
“Hotel is ok, but nothing for single females”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

Read all the good comments here, so decided to stay in the Le Meridien during my trip to Shanghai this month. Had an interesting experience there what its worth to share:

At my arrival I really was getting lost with the confusing elevator system there, the staff in the lobby recognized me, but ignored me. Finally I found the reception and get an quick check in. When I arrived in my room I recognized that there was a strange smell in the bathroom. I called the operator to fix it, and somebody showed up with a spray after 10 minutes. In the meantime I saw there were many black hairs on my bed and in the bathroom, so I decided to move in another room. I tried to explain that the boy with the spray, but no English in all, so I called the operator again. She told me, I have to come down to the reception. Ok, I just had a 15 hours flight behind me, I only wanted a shower and a clean room, but I was too tired to discuss. So I went down, luckily I found the agent who checked me in, she was really smart, she gave me another room in a higher floor and she apologized for the inconvenience.
At the moment I wanted to leave the reception a person asked me from behind, if there was any problem, I turned around and a small man was smiling to me. He introduced himself as the General Manager of this hotel and he asked me to wait. He approached the reception and asked the lady to change my room again. I was a little surprised about that, but to confuse to say anything.
The General Manager gave my the new room key and told me, that I can use the Club Lounge free of charge during my stay, and he hope to see me there for breakfast in the next days. He gave me his name card with the words that I may call him anytime if there is anything he can do for me.

I went back to my new room (very huge, they called it "Executive Suite") and was surprised again, that after 10 minutes an associate brought me a fruit basket and a bottle of red wine and card signed by the General Manager. I felt a little bit strange about this man at this moment, but too tired to think about it.

I had some business meetings the other days and don’t get the breakfast in the Club, one time I tried the “Happy Hour” there in the evening, but the staff was not very attentive, the tables in the lounge were full of empty glasses and plates, you have to get your drinks by yourself, a lot of staff standing around, but no one of them offered assistance and help. They were chatting with each other on the desk the whole time.

But to come to the end of my story, I was come back late one night, and I saw the General Manager in my guest floor hand in hand with a Chinese lady (he did not saw me), going to a guest room just two rooms next to my room. This confuses me, but I thought maybe it’s his wife, I heard, that in some hotels the General Manager stay there. But two days later, I saw him again, with another lady (much taller), going in the same room, this time he recognized me, and he smiled to me.
Next morning I choose the Club for breakfast and had a chat with a staff member, and yes, the girl confirmed, the General Manager of the Meridien life’s in the hotel, and yes, he has his room on my floor and he is not married!

The whole story confused me, specially the room change to his floor on my arrival day and how he approached me on that day, so I decided to move out on the next day and stay in the Westin, 15 minutes far from the Meridien. So far, the Meridien hotel is ok, except the Club Lounge, this is nothing special in my eyes, but if you are travelling as a single female, better select another hotel when you are in Shanghai, after the things I saw and I expressed, I would not feel comfortable there anymore.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincs UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

We recently stayed at Le Meridien as part of an extended tour of China booked with a tour operator.

This hotel is currently the tallest in Shanghai and is well situated. Our room was on the 24th floor with good views over the city. The best views however were from the bar on 66th - spectacular at night. We were very happy with everything in our room.

The food was excellent. You would have to be very hard to please not find suitable food at the buffet breakfast - the choice was the widest we had during our entire trip. We also had afternoon tea in the Cafe and ate in the Italian restaurant on one evening. Again, food and service were outstanding. The young Italian male waiter was charming.

The swimming pool and associated area had good views over the city and the facilities were again excellent.

The staff are the greatest asset at this hotel. They are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and went out of their way to assist. Their English was generally good.

Would highly recommend this hotel - our group loved it.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008
NEw York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

Wonderful stay all around, from the room to the facilities. We stayed for two nights in Le Royal Meridien Shanghai and loved our room, which had an amazing view of downtown Shanghai extending to the Bund and across the water to Pudong, including the famed Pearl of the Orient and Jinmao tower. The beauty of the hotel is that all the rooms are above the 20th floor, and every room has floor to window ceilings, so you're guarenteed a great view. On top of that, room amenities are truly five star, by American and European standards. I've stayed a lot of "five star" Chinese hotels, but this is the real thing--modern bathroom fixtures with ceiling rain shower and large comfortable tub clean enough to take a bath in. Separate toilet and sink areas. 42inch Samsung plasma TV, and just a load of other details that make the stay a pleasure (free shoe shine, Le Occitane shower products, etc ,etc). The pool is indoors with a great gym and outdoor sunbathing balcony. Posh but reasonably priced restaurants for a five star hotel--try the dim sum at the Cantonese restaurant--as good as Hong Kong. The room is work every cent--we paid more than for any hotel we've paid for in China, but it was well worth it.

• Liked — Floor to ceiling windows
  • Disliked — nothing, it was all great
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Le Royal Meridien during our three day stay in Shanghai. We absolutely loved the hotel and could not find anyting to complain about at all (which is surprising considering that we are pretty picky about the hotels we stay at). The location was perfect!! Right in the middle of Nanjing Rd across from People's square. It was across the street from the metro and a 10-15 min walk to the Bund. There are cafe's, restaurants, coffee shops and gelato stands right outside the door which is very convenient. There are many other luxury hotels in Shanghai, but their locations were not as exciting and they are more expensive.

The hotel decor was amazing! Beautiful lobby and fresh flowers everywhere. Very modern, yet comfortable and warm. Our room was spacious with a great view of Nanjing Rd. We loved the rain shower and the plasma TV!

The service was perfect as well. There were nice, smiling people everywhere just waiting to help you with anything. All of the hotel staff spoke English (which was not our experience at other hotels in China) and gave us great recommendations on shopping and restaurants.

I would highly recommend this hotel because of it's perfect location, great service and modern and cozy rooms.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
SydneyAustralia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in March, 2008 and I selected it because of its proximity to Tanjin Road which is a pedestrian mall running right down to the Bund (which is famous for its pre-World War 2 architecture) and is right on the river. Our impression of Shanghai is a bustling modern city of 18 million. The hotel is approx. 65 stories high and we chose the Club floor. The buffet breakfast was quite nice but the cocktail evening food was a little short on quantity but after we complained to one of the senior staff things improved dramatically.

The room we had on the 40th level was OK but the rainshower was unusual in that the water covered the entire bathroom floor before draining away. At least you had plenty of space. There is a separate bath and vanity. The toiletries are 1st class. Go the the top floor at any time and get the magnificent view. Make sure you have a room on at least the 40th floor (the Club is on the 44th floor) as the different lifts below that level can be a problem. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. All in all a good hotel.

Stayed March 2008
Venice, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

This hotel did not meet expectations. The service is outstanding. However, the rooms were undone and not well kept. You can see the mold in the bathroom tiles and food is okay. I would say this hotel is all show in the architecture but with little substance in conveying that it's a five star hotel. This hotel lacks attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2008
Halifax,Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Ultra modern hotel in the absolute best location in Shanghai.
Close to Nanjing pedestrain mall,the Bund,great shopping,People's park with its Museums and old Shanghai.Short and cheap cab rides take you to many great eating districts including Xintiandi and the French Concession area.
Solicitors(watches,bags,massages) minor nuissance outside hotel.All major hotels seem to have this small problem.If you ignore them they will leave you alone.The city is very safe.We walked everywhere and took the subway-easy to use and very modern.
We had a club room at first which was very nice on th e44th floor then we upgraded to the Imperial Suite.The views from the 60th floor suite we amazing esp from the bathtub.We will never forget it.
The service in the club lounge was incredible.We felt the staff went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.Thanks to Ken ,Bobo and the rest of the concierge staff for making our stay unforgettable and for their fantastic advice on restaurants.
The location cant be beat.If you like modern high rises in central location than look no further.For a more contemporary look then the Four Seasons is a good option but you wont get the views.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — touristy western-style bar on the top floor
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Le Royal Meridien Shanghai? Share your experiences!