“Budget Hotel with Great Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Manhattan Bund Business Hotel

You added Manhattan Bund Business Hotel to your Saves list
Manhattan Bund Business Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.81-85 Dianchi Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)   |
Ranked #335 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
3.5 of 5 stars 260 Reviews
Legaspi, Philippines
“Budget Hotel with Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

If you are looking for a budget place to sleep during your short stay (1-3 nights) – I highly recommend this hotel. Aside from a fantastic location it is very near to almost every tourist attractions (the Bund-50meters literally just around the corner you will see the bund. Yuyuan Garden – 30-minute walk (but would suggest to take the taxi. Will cost you around 20yuan fairly not bad at all. Nanjing East road is just 150meters away from the hotel. The very famous Peace hotel is just at the back of the hotel , the Bund sightseeing tunnel is less than 200meters walking distance and from this tunnel (would cost you 55yuan roundtrip ride) you can cross Huangpu River and go visit Shanghai’s landmark – the Orient Pearl Tower. I would suggest that you do this during the night as you will get to appreciate the beauty of the city at night when all the old buildings are beautifully lit and would look like gems in the horizon.)

The hotel itself is an old one but fairly kept clean and was managed to be a nice place to stay. I can never complain much for the price I paid. Rather, Iam just happy that this hotel serves the purpose of my stay – to sleep for a night – to have a bath and keep myself safe while in shanghai – and the bonus part are its location and the subway being just 3-blocks away from the hotel making my travel around Shanghai a breeze.

Moreso, the subway (line 2) has a direct line going to Pudong International Airport and vice-versa ---so it was the cheapest way to go to the airport (I paid only 7yuan from Nanjing Rd-East station but have to transfer train on Guanglan Rd. Station – no worries as you simply have to transfer train on the opposite track)

For travelers arriving Shanghai past 11:00pm – you have to take the night bus from the airport. Check Main stops and other details at: www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/pudong-airport-bus.htm

Also you can find the Hotel’s name and address in Chinese characters at:
www.travelchinaguide.com/hotel/contact-info.asp?id=923
This is a very important piece of information to take with you in case no one can help you translate in Chinese. More often than not – Very few speak good English.

And as for my room – I stayed at room 8315 (that’s on the 3rd floor – all rooms are with prefix “8”) and this room is relatively a nice room with windows!! I had a queen sized bed and it’s a good and comfortable bed, 4-soft and cuddly pillows + a nice comforter. The bathroom is nice and well cleaned but there is a strange smell coming out of the drain and you wouldn’t like it – its rather like a sewage smell coming out and I think its quite tolerable and would at any rate confined inside the bathroom only. Apart from this problem the rest is simply nice.

I had daily breakfast at the hotel’s Bund 81 restaurant – a food that was relatively the same everyday but cant complain much as this is a great way to start my day. Fill up my groaning tummy and off I go to a day’s tour of the city. Breakfast buffet would consist of:
Different cereals, breads, butter, jam, seasoned fruits, mini sandwiches, coffee, tea, milk, kiwi juice, orange juice, 2-kinds of congee, 2-kinds of sausages , bacon (my favorite), scrambled eggs, chinese fried rice, 2-kinds of vegetables and steamed dumpling. Not bad huh?? And if breakfast is not included in your hotel’s price – it will cost you around 40yuan.

So basically, I recommend this hotel to just anybody who intend to visit Shanghai for business or vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room w/window upon reservation
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Best value in Shanghai. Located directly behind the Peace Hotel ($500+ per night) - the #1 location in the Bund. 2 blocks from metro. Small clean eficient rooms. Helpful staff. Perfect location for sightseeing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

The room was small and wet, the A/C didn’t work well and when i asked the reception to fix this problem nothing was change .The ceiling was dirty .The only good thing bout this hotel is it is close to the Bund and to the Nanjing Road.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed at this hotel after about three weeks of touring China. At every place we stayed throughout China we were unbelievably and pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the hotels. And then we got to Shanghai. Not only was this the most expensive hotel we stayed in, but it was by far the worse.

PROS:
- The location. We were pretty much in walking distance of everything most tourists would like to see. Being one block from the Bund also is nice.
- Concierge and managers spoke english, for the most part.
- Hotel breakfast was decently priced, if you chose to eat in.

CONS:
- There was essentially no air conditioning. Despite what they tell you, they don't have air con. They have humidifiers. So don't expect any of your clothes to dry over night from a sweaty day in the Shanghai summers. We even took pictures of the black mold growing around the vents as proof of how humid the air was. It also wasn't cool at all, its as if it just simply wasn't working. This was the only hotel we had with no AC.
- It struck me as a really old building and required a major upgrade of just about everything. The AC, the sewage, all of it needed upgrades.
- The bathroom wreaked of sewage. It also didn't really have a door, so there was no way to stifle that smell and keep it in their.
- The king size beds aren't exactly king size. The manager admitted they had two or even three different sized king beds.
- We were changed to approximately three rooms throughout our stay. ALL of them had no AC and mold.
- Our first room was directly under the stairs to the breakfast room and bar. And no elevator to that floor. Which means you're up to 3AM hearing stomping on the stairs right over our room, and then awoken at 6AM by early-risers for breakfast. But that was just that one room, and after one night we switched rooms.

CONCLUSION: Although the management was nice, there is simply only so much they can do with a completely run down and pathetic hotel. No room had air condition and all rooms had either disgusting carpets and mold growing due to the humidity. This was also the most expensive hotel we stayed in throughout our entire trip making this the biggest rip off of our trip. Unless you must stay here due to the location, I would sincerely look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Having looked at the reviews, it was rather mixed but majority seemed fairly favourable and on a budget, I could hardly be expecting something spectacular with a convenient location right next to the Bund.

On arrival, the hotel seemed fine from the outside and the reception area though the reception staff was not completely fluent in English but fortunately, I was with a friend who did speak Mandarin which was useful.

Everything changed upon entering the room. We were greeted by the stale smell of smoke and damp. The room was of a decent size but very poorly lit with a small bathroom which we discovered we needed to place tissue into the bin next to it to avoid blocking it up.

As per the other reviews, there was a window but it was sealed and blocked off so you could not even look out of it.

Worse of all was when I touched the sheets on the bed. They felt damp. My friend and I didn't bother unpacking as we felt uncomfortable there and decided to venture out and pay for an alternative hotel as we could not bear to even spend another second there.

We enquired at reception and was informed that the damp is normal due to the weather. I'm not so sure. And I would not like to sleep on slightly damp sheets.

We checked out and was kindly informed that we would not get a refund. We didn't care.

Seriously, don't stay here. It was horrible and I had booked a room for myself for another two nights in a standard room - the twin we booked was supposedly the next grade up from standard - and I hate to think what it was like!!

Pay a bit more and stay in comfort. I don't have particular high standards but even I couldn't stay a moment longer than necessary. AVOID!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Booked 3 nights Executive room thru Expedia for $80/nite after $10 off coupon. Two reasons why I didn't give a 5-star are: no closet to hang cloths and no window. The location is great, Peace Hotel and Peninsula Hotel in the same neighborhood, the Bund is really 100 meters away. The room and hotel are clean and cozy, hard bed the way I like it. Be sure pick up a map from the hotel cause it's on the a tiny street. From airport take Subway Line 2 to Nanjing Rd East exit, take a taxi (12 yuan) or walk to the hotel; or take Pudong airport bus Line 5 to People Square then taxi ( 20+17 yuan), make sure to check Metro schedule.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

This place was fantastic. We only booked at last minute and weren't sure as I hadn't heard much about it in my guide book or on the internet. It was fantastic. We stayed in a deluxe room - well worth the money and the location couldn't be faulted either. 2 mins walk from the Bund and 5 mins walk from the nearest metro station. Our room was fantastic, loads of space and a huge, really comfy bed. The hotel itself was great. It had a bar in the reception area and an accompanying bar/restaurant which served breakfast, lunch and drinks. Highly recommended

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Manhattan Bund Business Hotel? Share your experiences!