“Good service, but food is just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #406 of 11,638 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Mauro Colagreco is one of the best up and coming chefs of the moment, well known for his creative approach to local and seasonal cuisine. His dishes embrace the surroundings in a unique and all-encompassing way.Enjoy the breath-taking dining room on the Bund overlooking the bay of Pudong in one of the Shanghainese jewels of architecture. It is time to discover the fine cuisine of an authentic artist served in a unique venue.
“Good service, but food is just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

It was my husband birthday and I asked if they can arrange something for the dessert. I was actually surprised (given the experience in China, re. service) that they remembered to put a sign on the cake. The waiters were friendly and quite attentive. Wine pairing by the sommelier was quite good, though, i was not sure if he understood our request, e.g. no. of pairings we want. For me, I wanted 2 glasses, it ended up with 4! (i guess extra one for duck liver and one port, for dessert?) didn't really tasted it. and obviously I don't know how the cost came around.
Food wise, we both ordered "Discovery Menu" which had a very earthy tone throughout... and it ended up with so much mushrooms, winter vege... which even they tasted good, it got boring by the middle... But I would say the beef tenderloin and the chocolate dessert were wonderful! Very good.
The atmosphere is good for a romantic dinner, but I would rather try Unico, the Tapas Lounge, next time.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bruno R, Manager at Colagreco, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mukmuk423,

Thank you for your visit & feedback.
Regarding your wine pairing, I believe the 2 extra glasses were complimentary.
As for for your comments on our discovery menu, we keep it it mind for our new spring menu.
We try to be as seasonal as possible, to use the best of our garden, thanks for sharing.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit if you want to try Unico our Latin Tapas & grill, would be glad to meet you.
Best regards
Bruno

Shanghai, China
“Pleasant Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went for a romantic dinner last Saturday. Service is quite friendly competent, on arrival they asked if we wanted to drink first at the bar UNICO, they showed us the seats, took our coats, and once we finished our two excellent cocktails they showed us to our table. Seamless. We had menues (sensation and discovery). Everything was well timed, well prepared and quite tasty. The meat was quite good. Here are the seasons why the rating is not excellent: Table cloth had many small lints which makes it look not clean. Pity. The toilet experience was well below expectation, as the men's and ladies' share a long sink, you can actually peek into the other side. And the water comes out a basic water valve which is connected to normal water pipe. My husband also told me that the men don't have their own urinals but pee into a long "urinal", probably same style as the common sink. Not my style at all and doesn't fit the restaurant style either.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bruno R, Manager at Colagreco, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Marwari,

Thank you for your review and feedback, Glad you enjoyed both food & service.
Steps have already been taken to change the table, and I keep your comment in mind for further design improvement.
Do not hesitate to let me know when you have the chance to come again.
Best regards
Bruno
Shanghai
“Great personal service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A great dinner experiance, competent staff, service minded and just a brilliant experiance. Get Lina to help you with the wine pairing, she has a refreshing view of how to match the food and our taste. With Caesar as General Manager, they have a really great team. We will be back

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bruno R, Manager at Colagreco, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time the share your experience, glad to see you had a great time.
Looking forward to your next visit.