“Should not be recommended by anyone” 1 of 5 stars
Review of East China Hotel Shanghai

You added East China Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
East China Hotel Shanghai
No.111 Tianmu West Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China (Shanghai Railway Station)   |
Ranked #1,009 of 3,933 Hotels in Shanghai
Edmonton, Canada
“Should not be recommended by anyone”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

We were booked into this hotel by our travel / tour company out of Canada. We had requested a triple room as it was my husband, adult daughter and I that were travelling on a budget. We had also stipulated nothing more expensive than a three star hotel.
When we were shown our room, it contained two single beds but the manager assured us a cot would be provided. When it arrived, it didn't fit into the very small room and in fact while they tried forcing the cot into the corner, they tore some of their bedding and the two side chairs and small table had to be moved into the hall. They ended up pushing the one single bed over to try and make room only to discover the last vacuuming in the room had not taken place. In fact, it perhaps had never seen the vacuum.
Clumps of hair, dust bunnies, a bottle cap, several seeds (pumpkin?) and other small items of dirt and debris were present under the bed. At this point the manager called Housekeeping who showed up with a vacuum but that wasn't going to help the shower curtain black with mould or the heavily rusted tub. We insisted on another larger cleaner room.
The manager was adamant if we wanted a larger room we would have to pay for it and as for the dirt and run down appearance of the hotel, we had "booked a three star and that's what we were getting". Then the comedy started. He offered us a room with a queen bed saying there would be room for the cot except when we tried to leave this room, the door stuck and would not lock. He showed us to a third room, also with a queen bed but explained there was a wedding party booked into the rooms along this hall and it likely wouldn't be very quiet. We refused this room also. A fourth room also turned out to be next to another wedding party.
At this point, the three of us were yelling at this manager and his total ineptitude. The lady from housekeeping has been following us from floor to floor and room to room with her vacuum. The manager is on the phone again looking for another room when his foot shot out and stomped a cockroach. I was taking pictures of peeling wallpaper in the halls, cigarette butts on the carpet and missing light bulbs.
At last, he showed us to what he claimed was an upgraded room with a queen bed. The cot was on it's way. It appeared to be no bigger than any of the others we had seen and in fact, when questioned, he informed us it was the same size but there was wood paneling on the wall. The upgrade! The small table and one chair were piled under the desk and the second chair was removed from the room. Our six bags were literally stacked on top of each other and we lived like this for three nights.
When asked for a business card, he claimed he didn't have one but we did get one for the hotel. My husband is Chinese and in fact, has several family members living just outside Shanghai. Our return trips will not be booked into this hotel. We have also notified our tour company of our issues with this hotel. Hopefully, they won’t be booking any other travellers into this hotel either.

• Stayed September 2010

• Indonesian first
vkv01
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

This is one of the fine Hotels in Shanghai. Nice location and near to Railway station.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I last stayed at this hotel in late 2007, so I was interested to visit again in September 2009.
The hotel is quite cheap, its rooms clean and reasonably comfortable and the hotel is well located. However, having now travelled further in China, I can't in all honesty recommend it to travellers. Its a bit tired looking inside, although the magnificent foyer could mislead at first glance. The bathrooms are OK (but well siliconed) and noise insulation barely adequate. My biggest gripe was the smoking by staff, once they thought most people werent around in the evening. The bar staff on duty in the restaurant and the cleaners all joined in, so its really not very surprising that stale cigarette smoke is recycled by the airconditioning system into most rooms. (On the other hand, if you are a chain smoker, this could well be the place for you!)

Im also not sure the many staff employed here are very well trained in customer relations. On the first night there was a spectacular argument between a restaurant patron and a staff member that seemed to be very badly handled by the hotel. At best, I would say most staff treated guests with a detached indifference. Several Chinese friends who met me at the hotel also commented on the mediocre quality of service by staff. The food quality also seems to have declined since my last visit, and the breakfast buffet was only average.

There are a wide range of reasonably priced high quality hotels now in Shanghai, so you would really only use this hotel if you needed to. Its telling that we saw no other westerners in the hotel. I imagine most international travel agents dont use it anymore. (By the way - the East China Hotel still sports the hardest beds I have ever slept on!) Its advantage is the hotel's close proximity to the subway and Shangha Railway station.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed at the East China Hotel for three nights with colleagues and students as part of a school excursion. The purpose of the trip was to have a brief cultural experience of Shanghai before heading off into inner China.

The hotel is reasonably well kept and clean, minus a few dodgy plastering jobs. I stayed in a Business Room which was practically the same as the Standard rooms expect for a few flower petals in the toilet bowl on arrival and a bowl of fruit.

We arrived late on our first night and had dinner at the hotel purely due to exhaustion - I now realise what a mistake this was! We were served up a selection of dishes (of questionable authenticity) including sweet and sour pork, fries, steak and chicken nuggets. Needless to say the children were happy, but I certainly didn't fly 10 hours to eat highly processed Western food!

It was a very conveniant location for our group, as there was the subway and train station very close by. Unlike the Melbourne public transport system, these ran on time and were clean and well funded. We had a tour guide each day take us on trips so seldom needed to use taxis - but there seemed to be many around!

We also made use of the hotel salon on our final night. They were initially wanting 300rmb for a one hour full body massage! Upon hearing this we turned to leave - knowing full well that there is a vast selection of places offering the same service for a much more reasonable price. We managed to get them down to 150rmb, but that was the most I paid for a massage the whole trip. The massage was somewhat halfhearted, and I would recommend to anyone wanting beauty or body treatments to find another place. Unlike with most body massages where you are given a robe and towel etc., you stayed in your clothes (in my case a short skirt and singlet top!) for the massage.

I would definitely not go back to the East China Hotel again. There are so many other well priced and located hotels in Shanghai and I don't think East China is necessarily one of them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This hotel is very close to the main Shanghai Railway Station. It is a great budget hotel with good amenities. I did have a small problem obtaining my railway ticket that was delivered to the hotel by China Tripadvisor. It took three days of being persistent to be given my ticket.
I travelled from HK to Shanghai on the overnight train then from Shanghai to Beijing. The Beijing train left from the same railway station. So the hotel is in a great location and a cheap taxi ride to the city centre.
Sue - Pirron Yallock

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I usually stay at the Zhong Ya over the road from the East China; however, given that the Zhong Ya has become rather noisy throughout the night on account of the construction of a supermarket nearby, I decided to try the East China for a change.

It's near Shanghai Railway Station. Its standard rooms are slightly more expensive than those of the Zhong Ya.

I arrived at my Standard Room floor. The corridors smelled, the carpets were torn and tatty. I entered my room where my nose was assailed with some violence by the acrid smell of stale cigarette smoke. I knew I could not tolerate one whole night of this so I turned on my heels and down I went to Reception and asked for another room. I explained the cirgarette smell problem.

Well! All Standard Rooms, they explained, are smoking rooms and if I wanted a non-smoking room, I would have to book into a Deluxe room at about 150 RMB per night more expensive than the 320 RMB Standard Rooms. Surely the hotel could not have allowed 100% of its standard rooms to be polluted with cigarette smoke, I complained. Surely, they keep one Standard Floor for non-smokers.

No, the receptionist said, sourly, all Standard Rooms were smoking rooms and all would have the same smell - and, I take it, the same torn, tatty carpets.

There was nothing for it, I said, but to check out and go to the Zhong Ya over the road where, despite the noise, at least smoke-free rooms are available. I moved to the check-out desk - but there came the cry, "OK, we'll change the room" and I was booked into a quite nice Deluxe room at the Standard Room price.

I won't stay there again. 320 RMB should buy quite a decent Standard Room in a 3-star hotel in Shanghai.

My advice to travellers is to avoid the East China hotel unless you're willing to pay a price well above what is reasonable for a 3-star hotel to get a smoke-free room. If you want to pay 450 - 500 per night for a room, you can do much better than the East China. If you've got this sort of money, head into the city to the Nanjing Road area.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to East China Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!