“An okay budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of East China Hotel Shanghai

You added East China Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
East China Hotel Shanghai
No.111 Tianmu West Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China (Shanghai Railway Station)   |
Ranked #1,022 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai

• Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I last stayed at this hotel in late 2007, so I was interested to visit again in September 2009.
The hotel is quite cheap, its rooms clean and reasonably comfortable and the hotel is well located. However, having now travelled further in China, I can't in all honesty recommend it to travellers. Its a bit tired looking inside, although the magnificent foyer could mislead at first glance. The bathrooms are OK (but well siliconed) and noise insulation barely adequate. My biggest gripe was the smoking by staff, once they thought most people werent around in the evening. The bar staff on duty in the restaurant and the cleaners all joined in, so its really not very surprising that stale cigarette smoke is recycled by the airconditioning system into most rooms. (On the other hand, if you are a chain smoker, this could well be the place for you!)

Im also not sure the many staff employed here are very well trained in customer relations. On the first night there was a spectacular argument between a restaurant patron and a staff member that seemed to be very badly handled by the hotel. At best, I would say most staff treated guests with a detached indifference. Several Chinese friends who met me at the hotel also commented on the mediocre quality of service by staff. The food quality also seems to have declined since my last visit, and the breakfast buffet was only average.

There are a wide range of reasonably priced high quality hotels now in Shanghai, so you would really only use this hotel if you needed to. Its telling that we saw no other westerners in the hotel. I imagine most international travel agents dont use it anymore. (By the way - the East China Hotel still sports the hardest beds I have ever slept on!) Its advantage is the hotel's close proximity to the subway and Shangha Railway station.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed at the East China Hotel for three nights with colleagues and students as part of a school excursion. The purpose of the trip was to have a brief cultural experience of Shanghai before heading off into inner China.

The hotel is reasonably well kept and clean, minus a few dodgy plastering jobs. I stayed in a Business Room which was practically the same as the Standard rooms expect for a few flower petals in the toilet bowl on arrival and a bowl of fruit.

We arrived late on our first night and had dinner at the hotel purely due to exhaustion - I now realise what a mistake this was! We were served up a selection of dishes (of questionable authenticity) including sweet and sour pork, fries, steak and chicken nuggets. Needless to say the children were happy, but I certainly didn't fly 10 hours to eat highly processed Western food!

It was a very conveniant location for our group, as there was the subway and train station very close by. Unlike the Melbourne public transport system, these ran on time and were clean and well funded. We had a tour guide each day take us on trips so seldom needed to use taxis - but there seemed to be many around!

We also made use of the hotel salon on our final night. They were initially wanting 300rmb for a one hour full body massage! Upon hearing this we turned to leave - knowing full well that there is a vast selection of places offering the same service for a much more reasonable price. We managed to get them down to 150rmb, but that was the most I paid for a massage the whole trip. The massage was somewhat halfhearted, and I would recommend to anyone wanting beauty or body treatments to find another place. Unlike with most body massages where you are given a robe and towel etc., you stayed in your clothes (in my case a short skirt and singlet top!) for the massage.

I would definitely not go back to the East China Hotel again. There are so many other well priced and located hotels in Shanghai and I don't think East China is necessarily one of them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This hotel is very close to the main Shanghai Railway Station. It is a great budget hotel with good amenities. I did have a small problem obtaining my railway ticket that was delivered to the hotel by China Tripadvisor. It took three days of being persistent to be given my ticket.
I travelled from HK to Shanghai on the overnight train then from Shanghai to Beijing. The Beijing train left from the same railway station. So the hotel is in a great location and a cheap taxi ride to the city centre.
Sue - Pirron Yallock

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I usually stay at the Zhong Ya over the road from the East China; however, given that the Zhong Ya has become rather noisy throughout the night on account of the construction of a supermarket nearby, I decided to try the East China for a change.

It's near Shanghai Railway Station. Its standard rooms are slightly more expensive than those of the Zhong Ya.

I arrived at my Standard Room floor. The corridors smelled, the carpets were torn and tatty. I entered my room where my nose was assailed with some violence by the acrid smell of stale cigarette smoke. I knew I could not tolerate one whole night of this so I turned on my heels and down I went to Reception and asked for another room. I explained the cirgarette smell problem.

Well! All Standard Rooms, they explained, are smoking rooms and if I wanted a non-smoking room, I would have to book into a Deluxe room at about 150 RMB per night more expensive than the 320 RMB Standard Rooms. Surely the hotel could not have allowed 100% of its standard rooms to be polluted with cigarette smoke, I complained. Surely, they keep one Standard Floor for non-smokers.

No, the receptionist said, sourly, all Standard Rooms were smoking rooms and all would have the same smell - and, I take it, the same torn, tatty carpets.

There was nothing for it, I said, but to check out and go to the Zhong Ya over the road where, despite the noise, at least smoke-free rooms are available. I moved to the check-out desk - but there came the cry, "OK, we'll change the room" and I was booked into a quite nice Deluxe room at the Standard Room price.

I won't stay there again. 320 RMB should buy quite a decent Standard Room in a 3-star hotel in Shanghai.

My advice to travellers is to avoid the East China hotel unless you're willing to pay a price well above what is reasonable for a 3-star hotel to get a smoke-free room. If you want to pay 450 - 500 per night for a room, you can do much better than the East China. If you've got this sort of money, head into the city to the Nanjing Road area.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

This hotel is very NOISY. There are 16 lanes of traffic outside and the traffic is thick 24 hours a day. Just around the corner is a huge
railway station where 2 million commuters travel each day. Although an old hotel, it has been partly refurbished but the lifts are slow & small, bedrooms are small and the furnishings look old. Staff are friendly and the breakfasts were great.

It's close to a major shopping district so there's plenty of good shopping close by. The hotel is adequate but not really condusive to a good night's sleep. It's certainly not luxurious as well, although it's clean and functional.

If you want a higher standard of accommodation stay elsewhere, as Chinese 3 star isn't equivalent to western 3 star.

• Liked — Breakfasts
  • Disliked — Noise and old facilities
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to East China Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!