“great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of East China Hotel Shanghai

You added East China Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
East China Hotel Shanghai
No.111 Tianmu West Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China (Shanghai Railway Station)   |
Ranked #1,015 of 3,950 Hotels in Shanghai
Australia
“great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This hotel is very close to the main Shanghai Railway Station. It is a great budget hotel with good amenities. I did have a small problem obtaining my railway ticket that was delivered to the hotel by China Tripadvisor. It took three days of being persistent to be given my ticket.
I travelled from HK to Shanghai on the overnight train then from Shanghai to Beijing. The Beijing train left from the same railway station. So the hotel is in a great location and a cheap taxi ride to the city centre.
Sue - Pirron Yallock

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

• Indonesian first
China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I usually stay at the Zhong Ya over the road from the East China; however, given that the Zhong Ya has become rather noisy throughout the night on account of the construction of a supermarket nearby, I decided to try the East China for a change.

It's near Shanghai Railway Station. Its standard rooms are slightly more expensive than those of the Zhong Ya.

I arrived at my Standard Room floor. The corridors smelled, the carpets were torn and tatty. I entered my room where my nose was assailed with some violence by the acrid smell of stale cigarette smoke. I knew I could not tolerate one whole night of this so I turned on my heels and down I went to Reception and asked for another room. I explained the cirgarette smell problem.

Well! All Standard Rooms, they explained, are smoking rooms and if I wanted a non-smoking room, I would have to book into a Deluxe room at about 150 RMB per night more expensive than the 320 RMB Standard Rooms. Surely the hotel could not have allowed 100% of its standard rooms to be polluted with cigarette smoke, I complained. Surely, they keep one Standard Floor for non-smokers.

No, the receptionist said, sourly, all Standard Rooms were smoking rooms and all would have the same smell - and, I take it, the same torn, tatty carpets.

There was nothing for it, I said, but to check out and go to the Zhong Ya over the road where, despite the noise, at least smoke-free rooms are available. I moved to the check-out desk - but there came the cry, "OK, we'll change the room" and I was booked into a quite nice Deluxe room at the Standard Room price.

I won't stay there again. 320 RMB should buy quite a decent Standard Room in a 3-star hotel in Shanghai.

My advice to travellers is to avoid the East China hotel unless you're willing to pay a price well above what is reasonable for a 3-star hotel to get a smoke-free room. If you want to pay 450 - 500 per night for a room, you can do much better than the East China. If you've got this sort of money, head into the city to the Nanjing Road area.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

This hotel is very NOISY. There are 16 lanes of traffic outside and the traffic is thick 24 hours a day. Just around the corner is a huge
railway station where 2 million commuters travel each day. Although an old hotel, it has been partly refurbished but the lifts are slow & small, bedrooms are small and the furnishings look old. Staff are friendly and the breakfasts were great.

It's close to a major shopping district so there's plenty of good shopping close by. The hotel is adequate but not really condusive to a good night's sleep. It's certainly not luxurious as well, although it's clean and functional.

If you want a higher standard of accommodation stay elsewhere, as Chinese 3 star isn't equivalent to western 3 star.

• Liked — Breakfasts
  • Disliked — Noise and old facilities
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to East China Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about East China Hotel Shanghai

Address: No.111 Tianmu West Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China
Location: China > Shanghai Region > Shanghai > Shanghai Railway Station
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Restaurant Room Service
Ranked #1,015 of 3,950 Hotels in Shanghai
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your East China Hotel Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
East China Shanghai

If you own or manage East China Hotel Shanghai, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.