“A new stylish venue in the city...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The 1515 West, Chophouse & Bar

The 1515 West, Chophouse & Bar
1218 Middle Yan'an Road, Jing An Kerry Centre on West Nanjing Road, Shanghai 200040, China
+86 21 2203 8889
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #320 of 12,686 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The 1515 West, Chophouse & Bar combines an Old Shanghai movie theme with classic American bar and grill decor. The generous portions of beef, from cattle reared in Australia for The 1515 West, will delight meat lovers.The Raw Bar offers oysters and other fresh seafood from around the world. A wine cellar featuring top new world reds, as well as a selection of white wines, champagne, vermouth and sherry, ensure that sommelier Jerry Liao stays busy.The New York style Classic Bar offers views of the piazza and the former home of Chairman Mao. It features a selection of classic and unique spirits, while cocktails are created personally by Bar Manager and renowned mixologist Dario Gentile.Fresh bread, artisan cheese and cut-to-order charcuterie are available for takeaway.
“A new stylish venue in the city...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Since it officially opened, I've been at 1515 West Chophouse and Bar twice.

The first time was for a business lunch: my guest and I chose 2 different set lunch menu, the quantity of the food was generous and the meat quality excellent.

The second time I went there was for dinner, together with my boss from HK: again, the quality of the meat was excellent and we enjoyed our steaks.
The only negative aspect I can find is that some people in the restaurant staff lacked a bit of experience and still need to be better trained, but the restaurant Manager assured us that the ShangriLa top management is working hard on this point. Considering the ShangriLa Hotels world standards, I'm sure that the skills of the staff will improve quickly.

After dinner, my boss and I had a drink in 1515 Bar: the environment is very stylish and classy, I particularly liked the counter area and the wood and glass wall in the back of it.

The bar manager was very friendly to us and he was particularly proud to show us the new venue. He spent a long time entertaining us and he had a very good care of us. His ability preparing the cocktails is indisputable: he has a long experience as a professional in the bar management sector and it is a pleasure to learn new details about the different drinks he prepares for us each time.

I will definitely be a repeated customer of the 1515 Bar.

By chance, I had my dinner and drink in 1515 Chophouse and Bar on Sept.,11, the same day when other guests apparently had a bad experience there...I'm sorry, guys! My experience was much more positive than yours! :)

“Lovely and Tasty...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have been in 1515 West last Wednesday and I need to say that the previous review does not give justice to an awesome place like that.
Finally in Shanghai we have something like 1515 West, where you can have one of the most well made drinks in town and then have a great meal in the Steak House.
Everything in a friendly, smily and warm atmosphere.
First me and my gf we went to the bar. It is stunning with a collection of spirit and a classic cocktail list. but if you need a suggestion than it is the best choice to ask Dario (I think he should be the bar manager) or someone of the bar staff, they know what they do and they can guide you in the choice of the right drink. I had a great Bourbon Manhattan with their own Bourbon Whikskey and my gf had a Bellini wiht fresh white peach.
After our aperitif we decided to move in the dining room, we had a table close to the action of the kitchen. We had a very tasty crab cake to start and after that we ate an amazing rib eye cooked exactly how we asked. Super good. Maybe the portion of dessert is too big, but still better than a "nouvell cuisine size" :)) After dinner we decided to come back to the bar to have a digestif and smoke a cigarette, to end our evening at 1515 West, and the bar was full of people having good time, and the french waitress was very helpfull to find a place for us.
I don't understand why people have to find always something to complain. I think It is true that they would need more staff to run a packed restaurant like that on a Wednesday night, but I am not agree with the last review. Friendly service, warm atmosphere and great quality overall. I will come back for sure and I will suggest this restaurant to my friends. Great job guys..!!!

Shanghai, China
“Horrible service, arrogant staff.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My friends and some business clients (9 of us) went to this restaurant last night (Wednesday, September 11, 2013) and we liked the ambiance of the restaurant, the design etc.
Some of the incidents I can share (without exaggerating ):
- We noticed their restaurant sign at the entrance is still made out of print out white paper.
- One of our friends is pregnant and had to explain many times about her situation, no proper staffing system to look after each table, so were apparoached by at least 3 different wait staff asking us the same questions.
- Australian butcher was very nice and friendly, suggested some special meat and we took his suggestion, excited with our dinner only to find out that our meat was not cooked according to our preferences. One friend left half of her meat on the plate, no one asked if there was something wrong with the dish, no one asked any of us if all the meal was ok, Pizza Marzano across the street does this better.
- We specifically mentioned to 3 different staff that one of our friend's is pregnant (6 months - and they can totally see her belly popping out) and that she could not eat soft cheese. She ordered a salad and asked them to either remove or change the cheese, the salad arrived with soft blue cheese.
- Ordered at least 4 bottles of wines, most of the time we had to pour own wine, no attention at all. I can tell you that they lost business worth at least 2 more bottles from us due to service. No one asked if we wanted dessert.
- Paid the bill (not cheap), not even a single thank you. Left the restaurant, still no thank you and no one escorted us out.
- Went to check out the bar next door, very nice ambiance and decor, no greetings, no one seems to be happy as no one was actualy smiling - bar almost empty.
- Bar Manager (foreigner, probably Italian) : no smile, no greetings. "Ok, I am going to take the order one by one, what would you like?" pointing at one of our friends. Ok??
- My Canadian girlfriend ordered her favorite drink, Gin Tonic with cucumber, specific request: Hendrik's Gin, the Manager wrote down the order and gave her a smirky face as if he was disgusted with her order. We noticed and asked him why the face? he then spent 10 minutes at least lecturing her in front of all of us about the history of Gin and that he knows "Gin" better than anyone - closing line, "the Gin you pick is *s**t and cheap" - our other friend jumped in and said "how about the customer is always right and that you just insulted my friend in front of all of us, she likes her drinks get her the drink". The Manager's response was "But this is a real Bar!" not even a single "sorry". so if you think the Gin is terrible, why do you have it in your "real bar?' - Hendrik's Gin, hear this!
- French male tall waiter, very nice and polite but he had BO.
- Left the bar, no thanks no "bye"

Many establishments will use the fact that they are newly opened as an excuse for customer to tolerate poor service, but if you are such a big chain with many international staff, what is your excuse? and arrogant?

We all seen it, been there.. we left really disspointed and angry. Definately not coming back nor to recommend to anyone.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best Steakhouse in town!?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Most definitely one of the best Steaks you can find in Shanghai. More than generous portions and absolutely high quality. The service is very good and also the interior is quite nice.

• Visited August 2013
Shanghai, China
“For a new restaurant they meat well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Dined with a colleague on a Tuesday night at 7 pm and it was full, 95% local Chinese and 5% foreigners truly amaxed me with all the large cuts of beef. The largest steak platter seemed very popular as it can be placed mid table and shared. The cuts of beef seemed large to me, with my new Chinese diet but excellent in quality and range (he he). Not an empty plate with only the steak, there were some other items. Desserts excellent, the peach cobbler yum. Drinks were expensive and charging for regular water? Open kitchen always entertaining and the new Chef from Vancouver came by for a pleasant chat. Decor very western steak house contemporary, done exceptionaly well. Loved the bar too, you should enjoy a cocktail either pre or post your meal experience. I think it was on the 4th floor. I will go back.

• Visited July 2013