“8 hour whirlwind tour of Shanghai” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 163 Activities in Shanghai
5.0 of 5 stars 27 Reviews
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer tailor-made private tours in Shanghai and nearby cities most suitable to your travel interests. You are free to choose your preferred attractions, means of transport, restaurants, shopping places, etc. You plan your own trip and my job is to coordinate things, offer advice and make sure the happy holiday goes as you wish. Please contact us and you will find our service a great value.
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“8 hour whirlwind tour of Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have been to Shanghai a few times for work, but had never had the time to appreciate the city as the stays were extremely short. I took the opportunity this time round as I had 2 days in the city, and decided to engage a private guide as I wanted to optimise my time and get the most out of the experience. However, I sort of decided on this at the very last minute, so it was fortunate that Melody was available on the afternoon that I decided to have the tour (I called and confirmed her service only 1.5hr before the start of the tour!).

She met me at my hotel in Hongqiao and I did not give her much to work with except that I wanted to see the bund and most of the standard stuff, and a bit more if possible. She gladly obliged, and away we went on a whirlwind tour around Shanghai. We visited the main attractions, as well as City God Temple of Shanghai, Museum of the First National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party, Xintiandi, Tianzifang, etc. All these within 8 hours on foot, taxi, metro and ferry.

She navigated expertly and efficiently, and I was glad that she was there to keep the time and usher me along to the next location. The commentary was comprehensive and she was able to share the historical facts and details in both English and Mandarin.

The weather was not perfect towards the end of the day, but we had covered most of what I wanted to by then. We ended the trip at the financial district with a nice picture of the 3 tallest skyscrapers in the city extending into the misty sky before she dropped me off at my hotel.

All in all, it was an enjoyable afternoon and great value for money! I would definitely engage her again the next time I am in town. Thanks for the experience, Melody!

Beijing, China
“A memorable time spent with Melody in SHANGHAI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I was unaware about the surprises waiting for me in Shanghai before i arrived at the airport. Thanks to Melody for wonderful way you treated me and made my tour as successful one. Since my arrival, till the end of the journey to Explore Shanghai and Suzhou, i felt like to be dependent to Melody, my tour Guide. Melody is an institution, a superb lady whom someone can rely for every possible arrangement starting from guiding someone to the right place in right way, advising traveler on every possible facts in an honest way. Spending time with her is rewarding as she has good grip on the city being local and as she won't let you be bored with her nice informative and practical talking. Her English is excellent far better than many. I can also recollect with gratitude the way she guided me to Suzhou. It was an easy enjoyable one day tour to Suzhou because of her...Thank you very much Melody.

Brussels, Belgium
10 attraction reviews
“A fabulous Way to discover Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

If you want to visit Shanghai with a nice guide, Melody is the right person.
She knows the history of her city very well and is happy to share it with you.

I wanted to do something outside her 'standard circuit ' and she did it without problem.

Thanks Melody for your enthusiam and your knowledge.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“My first tour in Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stop over Shanghai for one day on our way to Beijing and to make full use of time we went on a private tour with Melody. She picked us up at the hotel on time and took us to the main attractions like People's Square, the new financial area, the Bund, Yuyuan Garden and the French Concession. The view was really lovely as we were lucky to see the blue sky and bright sunshine. With Melody leading the way, we were able to see many things within one day and learned a lot about the varied architectures. After finishing the tour, we appreciated Melody's assistance in helping us to get train tickets to Beijing and showing us the fake market. The tours was very well organised and stress free. We got a great memory of Shanghai with our tour guide Melody. TQ so much.

Grafton
3 attraction reviews
“See Shanghai Thru the eyes of a local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I know there is a lot of discussion on whether you need a guide or not, we do a lot of research before we go and could easily do the basic ourselves, but we wanted to do some out of the normal places and our lack of mandarin meant a guide would be handy.

Melody was excellent for this she had a good knowledge of historical Shanghai and was invaluable in getting us too the other sites (as none of the taxi drivers spoke english) and especially when leaving the Film studios there were no taxis at all and we ended up using local buses.

We really enjoyed our time with Melody, she may not have realised it but she was also an attraction, we love finding out how the locals live and Melody was only to pleased to tell us about her life and how the locals live day to day.

She also helped us arrange our bus trip from the Shanghai Stadium bus depot to Tongli even though she wasn't going with us and offered to be an emeregency contact number for the rest of our stay in Shanghai.

I wish I had realised prior that she did airport transfers as her very punctual driver and 7 seat van that took us to departures was cheaper and more comfortable than the claustrophobic taxi we hired on arrival.

So to paraphase a credit card ad "A guide book , a few dollars...... a group tour , a handfull of yuan, seeing Shanghai through the eyes of an intelligent young local...PRICELESS"

Visited December 2013