“So darn good!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
“So darn good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

When I choose restaurants, I usually go for interior in a combination for the food. The interior of this restaurant is great. Especially the patio. Cozy, yet industrial. And the food was awesome too, so win-win! Have the tuna tartar, it is served really nicely. And LOVE that you get the bill with a bag of their own spices mix to make calamares. Thumbs up!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“pricey but good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

A friend of mine is leaving China in July and we had a going away brunch for her. She said she wanted to try this place called "The Commune Social" for some time and none of us have ever been here before or ever heard of it so we all agreed to give it a try. There were four of us and when I arrived I was promptly escorted to find my group and the dinning area where my friends were sitting was outside in a courtyard area, very pleasant and relaxing. We placed our order and the waitress was quick to inform us of the size of the meals we had ordered were probably not enough to feed the four of us so we ordered more :-), she was correct, thank you. The drinks arrived shortly after we ordered and then the food started to arrive. The size of the meals were rather small but I have to say "what a big surprise"! The chefs there did a great job and all of the spices used worked very well together for the dishes we ordered, your taste buds will thank you. Neither of us had any complaints about the quality but if you are a big eater prepare to spend a little more money than usual. This would be a nice place to bring a date or just to meet some of your friends for brunch. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the service was spot on. Like my title indicates, a little pricey but the quality makes up for the little extra you pay. By the way, they were awarded Best New Restaurant and Best Mediterranean this year, congrats.

• Visited June 2014
“Worth the wait!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

With all the press about long waits, no reservations, etc., I hesitated coming with my friend who was in from out of town......and also a huge Jason Atherton fan. Too bad for her, because this restaurant is fabulous!!!! So easy on the eyes. You are transported somewhere far away from it's location. Service was excellent. Smiles, recommendations, and timeliness in abundance. The tapas style small plates were perfect for myself and my 3 friends. And we could have kept going if not for our very full stomaches. The ibericho sliders, tuna tartar, the beetroot salad....YUM! Don't be afraid of the no reservation policy. It's worth the wait!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nothing short of memorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Commune Social is a partnership between Chef Jason Atherton and award winning Shanghai design firm Neri & Hu, and carries a casual chic speakeasy vibe. I went for the Chef’s Choice, a three, four or five course menu that was both playful and eclectic. Like the Barley paella, squid and gremolata – robustly flavoured with complementing textures from the grains, seafood and herbs.

I loved the fried duck egg with glazed duck liver, a rustic assemblage that was held together by dashes of sherry vinegar and peppery notes of the romesco. The lamb was seared and baked to tender perfection, served with grilled fennel, goats cheese and preserved lemon. Seasoning was kept simple to allow the natural flavours of the ingredients to come through.

My braised pork belly with cabbage puree, pickled kohlrabi and toasted oats was another winner –the skin was crackly and incredibly addictive with a tasty layer of fat beneath. The meat was juicy, with a texture similar to pulled pork; I was very impressed.

Soon after I was done, my waitress led me to the dessert bar, where my final course is composed on the spot. An amuse bouche of caramel popcorn in dry ice kept me occupied as the dessert chef assembled my deconstructed ‘pb&j’ of peanut ice cream, salted peanut caramel, mulberries, strawberries and fruity jam. It was a beautiful sight and had crunchy, crumbly and creamy texture, with a salty- sweet flavour.

The Commune Social practices a “no reservations , no service charge” policy to deformalize fine dining and my experience was nothing short of memorable.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lives up to Hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

A restaurant that lives up to its hype - that's Commune Social. We had Sunday late lunch and it was truly excellent. A great value is the tasting menu where one can select 3, 4 or 5 tapas from the daily specials. One can easily get a set of 5, add a few more from the menu and you have a great lunch for 2 people. The taste of the food is wonderful, clearly made from top-notch ingredients, but the one thing that really stands out about the food is the presentation. Just wonderfully thought out - many dishes were like pieces of arts - almost too good to eat! And desserts are excellent as well. The atmosphere is not romantic - more like New York City bohemian Soho - with lots of nooks and crannies in the restaurant - a bit on the noisy side, but this makes it a really fun place to have an excellent meal. While somewhat expensive for Shanghai, but considering the quality and presentation of the food - incredible value for the money. Definitely one of my favorite spots in Shanghai.

• Visited May 2014