“Coking Dumplings” 5 of 5 stars

Newport Beach
4 attraction reviews
“Coking Dumplings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was a very fun attraction. We made our own buns and put the filling together and fried the dumplings. Mike - our chef was very funny

Visited December 2013

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
“Experience Chinese Culture by Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Chef Mike arranged for a five person cooking group for our family in a small classroom. He was flexible and met the dietary needs of our group by providing an ingredient list ahead of time. We made twisted buns and soup dumplings in a two hour hands-on cooking class. The class was organized and we had the opportunity to taste our personal dim sum and compare them to the Chef's dim sum. The fee for the class was reasonable. Most importantly, Chef Mike is delightful with a good grasp of the English language and has a great sense of humor. We were provided with the recipes that we finished during the class. The dumplings were delicious but it takes practice to fold and pinch the dough evenly. If you want a great way to slow down in the busy city of Shanghai and interface with local culture, this is a fun way to spend the morning or afternoon.

Visited December 2013
Hong Kong
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

When I was planning for my Shanghai trip, I accidentally found this workshop at the internet. As the class schedule fitted my travel schedule, so I joined the "xiaolongbao" (small steamed bun) lesson.

Making that small steamed bun is not an easy task, however, the teacher, chef Guo, was very good and patience. She gave me a demonstration first and explained every steps in details, then I followed her to make the bun step by step. During my practice, Chef Guo also pointed out what was wrong with me, and gave me advice on how to make a nice bun.

The lesson was so good and interesting, I did enjoy it very much. I would like to recommend this workshop to those who love making food in a relaxing and funny way! Sure that I will re-visit this workshop during my next stay at Shanghai!

4 attraction reviews
“Great Activity for Visiters and Expates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

MJ from Shopping Tours Shanghai mentioned the Chinese Cooking Workshop, and called Chef Mike during our tour with her to set up an impromptu class the next morning. He graciously agreed to teach us how to make two types of dumplings. Thank goodness we had a small group, because those suckers are harder to make than they look! However, Mike's English is excellent, and he's a patient teacher who helped us learn the techniques. We enjoyed the class and the food, and look forward to trying out the recipes at home. The location is convenient in the French Concession area of Shanghai. I highly recommend this to groups, visitors and individuals who want to learn the ins and outs of Shanghai style cooking.
As a side note, Mike mentioned that he can work with people who can't fit in his regularly scheduled tours, so definitely worth a call or email if your time in Shanghai is limited.

New Zealand
“Fabulous way to spend the morning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We did the wok cooking class. It was surprisingly good! We did three dishes, two we prepared and cooked and one the chef demonstrated for us. The recipes were clear and easy to follow, the English is an excellent standard, Mike was entertaining and informative. The food was awesome and I actually will try and make these dishes at home (a first from a Chinese cooking course). The location is great in the French Concession and you eat your dishes for lunch. Mike tasted everyones dishes and gave feedback on the results. This was helpful for everyone.