“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund

You added Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund to your Saves list
Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.19 Gong Ping Road, Shanghai 200085, China (The North Bund)   |
Ranked #50 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 91 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We decided to stay in BT Shanghai on friend's recommendation and haven't regreted it one bit. We live in Shanghai at the moment and previously stayed in several 5 stars hotels with the view of the Bund, but Banyan Tree was the best in my opinion.
It's located in a quieter part of the Bund, which means you escape daily crowds visiting the Bund, but also you are a bit further away from the restaurants&night life. Anyway, taxi is easy to arrange through hotel reception (most of the staff we've encountered spoke very good english) and in Shanghai you will need a car anyway to get from place to place, especially in the summer heat. The big advantage of the location for me was that it was set off the busy road, so you don't hear 24-hrs traffic of Shanghai, even on the lower floors.
View from the rooms was amazing. We've booked 2 interconnecting panorama riverside retreat rooms and, upon arrival, received free upgrade to Bund retreat rooms. Fantastic view of the river from large panoramic windows in both bedrooms and bathrooms. Loved the sofa beds by the windows with comfy cusions! Large comfortable bathtubs - again, positioned by the windows - also very nice.
Add to that comfy beds with the choice of pillows, good choice of western food at breakfast, friendly staff - we had a great stay.
Having previosly experienced Banyan Tree in Hangzhou (China) and Phuket (Tailand), this hotel was the best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chandler L, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks a lot for your comment and if you plan to visit us again, please contact me personally and I will make sure your next visit will be even better.

With best regards,

Pancho Llamas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Nestled on the northern end of the Bund where the Huangpu River bends, the Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund offers the best views in Shanghai. On the left are those modern high rise skyscrapers of Lujiazui while on the right are those colonial buildings of the Bund.

Location is not the best. There is barely anything to offer around the vicinity of the hotel besides the stunning views. It’s quite inaccessible on foot to places of interest like the Bund or Nanking Road. But taxi is reasonably cheap and abundant in Shanghai.

This is an all suite river view hotel. As the hotel is a bit remote, it is fairly quiet. Check-in took a bit of time even though my reservation was made through the hotel own website. The 60 m2 room is very spacious, nicely decorated giving you a resort’s feel. The bed is very comfortable. The sofa along the ceiling to floor glass window was my favourite corner in the room. The view from the window was very astonishing. I spent countless of hours enjoying the even changing views of the Huangpu River both day and night.

Bathroom is well appointed with quality Banyan Tree’s toiletries. Soaking at the huge round bathtub by the glass window was a luxurious treat to my stay. In the evening during the turndown service, the bathtub was nicely set up with candles light and rose petals. The rain shower is powerful and the Water drain out quickly too. Books and magazines are provided in the toilet to ensure you will be occupied while during your business

The award winning Banyan Tree Spa’s treatment is worth a try. It’s occupying a 3-storey basement area tastefully decorated. Linda is highly recommended. Swimming pool is located at the basement B2 of the hotel. I don’t really like it as it was so boring starring at the walls.

Breakfast was excellent. The buffet spread was wide with great varieties of choices. Besides the all-day dining restaurant, there is a Chinese restaurant and a hotel lounge on the first floor/mezzanine floor of the hotel. The root top facility was not ready during my stay. No matter whether it is going to be a bar or restaurant, it will be one of the best venue in Shanghai with its priceless view.

If you need a break, need some tranquil hours, need to escape from the hustle and bustle of Shanghai, The Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund is the answer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

To call this hotel Banyan Tree on the Bund is a bit an overstretch. It is not the Bund anymore because it's even farther than Hyatt on the Bund. On the other hand, this isolated location provides a tranquil destination if your sole purpose is to have a quiet weekend.

The hotel was rather difficult to find but after several attempts we managed to give instruction to taxi driver on how to reach it. We were greeted by the doorman and we were escorted to the lobby where check-in was done in a seating area (not standing in the counter). We were served chilled melon juice and some cookies. There were some misunderstanding during check-in and we thought the issue could have been dealt more professionally. Anyway, it was dealt and we were escorted to the elevator. Upon leaving the lobby to the elevator we noticed how quiet the hotel was.

My partner booked the Panoramic Oasis with romantic pool.The room was fantastic! Large, bright, clean, relaxing, and equipped with modern amenities and high tech gadgets such as Nespresso coffee machine, Philips Fidelio sound system, the japanese toilet (you know, the one with tonnes of buttons and heater), rain drop shower, HD channels. The bed was big and the pillows were plush. But the creme de la creme is the "romantic pool" overlooking Pudong impressive skyline. We really enjoyed using this pool. After turned down service in the evening, the pool was decorated with rose petals and candles. Perfection!

But then things went downhill a bit from here. We went down to the Spa as my partner booked 60 minutes balinese massage in the couple room. First impression was very nice because the spa is massive, stylish, clean, and very quiet. Our masseuses were two chinese girls who welcomed us to the room. the room was big with two massage tables, a big bath tub, and a separate room with shower, toilet, and changing area. This is where the letdown began. My partner specifically said to not massage the stomach and focus instead on the head but this request was ignored. During massage, the two girls were laughing! yes LAUGHING, not giggling, laughing hard that one of them had to stop the massage and went away to compose herself. This happened when my eyes were close with eye shade. My partner was not given eye shade so saw the whole thing. The two small towels that were given to us when we first came (to refresh) was refolded and reused for the next guests coming. The two girls didn't realize that my partner saw this.

The fitness area is massive with technogym equipment. Swimming pool is very hip and cool and designed beautifully. However, you can forget sunbathing as the swimming pool is located in the basement with no sun light.

We didn't dine in the hotel for dinner. We wanted to use the nearby ferry service to cross to Pudong but to our dismay the service stop after 7pm.

Breakfast was passable with nothing to write home about. The selections were not really impressive (understandable considering not too many guests were staying there) and the taste is so-so. But i noticed that there were crumbles of food on the floor and a zip lock plastic bag on the small water pond floating without no one bothering to dispose it.

During checkout there were some misunderstandings again about the pricing and the spa. But it was solved quickly

Staff were courteous. They greet you and always offering to help. But there is still lack of finesse that is quite apparent.

In conclusion, considering that this hotel is not even one year old, I would say that they are up for a good start. However, the staff and the management must work hard to improve the standard and the quality of service, cleanliness, and make the hotel more attractive so that more guests are coming in to stay. Will I go back? Yes. Why? because i am curious to see how this property develops.

Room Tip: choose room number 9,10,11,12,etc and not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 on each floor. if you choose small number...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chandler L, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all thank you so much for staying with us during your last break in Shanghai, and thanks again for the valuable feedback of our facilities and services which I have shared with all my Managers to improve where ever necessary.

In regards to the incident in Spa, I deeply apologized and the behavior of our therapists does not reflect the image and spirit of our company. We have already taken immediate actions for this issue not to happen again. At the same time please allow me to comment that wrapping the face towel in a proper shape is our standard operation policy as we don’t want the therapists to leave the towels unorganized at the view of the guests, and I can definitely assure you that we never reuse any towel with other guests.

Thank you so much again for your feedback and I hope to see you again soon. If you plan to come again please let me know and I will have a pleasant surprise for your next visit.

Best regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

The good: excellent service, the staff go a long way to please you and most speak decent English. Good massage and spa. Decent food. Excellent, clean and well decorated rooms. Nicely decorated lobby.
The less good: a bit far from the Bund, taxis don't always recognize the hotel, if you're in town for partying, this hotel with be too calm and serene for you.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I live in Pudong and I planned a 3 day getaway for his birthday at Banyan tree. Its a great place for a getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city as its situated at the quieter end of the bund. We stayed at the panaroma oasis with romantic pool. The room itself is amazing with an awesome view of Lujiazui and huangpu river. The night view is absolutely breathtaking on a clear day. The hotel was opened about 6 months and its facing some teething issues. The staffs are friendly and humble but lack experience. We were not attended to immediately during check in but we did not make any fuss unlike another couple who arrived after us. I did request for welcome drink to be served for my husband which was served immediately. One of the staff gave me a rose flower which was a sweet gesture. Lola the friendly staff attended to us right away after that. The check in process needs to be improved and need to pay attention to details during reservation. When we were about to check in to our room at the lobby lift, the access card was not activated. Lola apologized and made sure we checked into our room. Right after we took our shower, we got a call citing that the smoke detector went off in the room. Same thing happened each time we took a shower. First night, we enjoyed a scrumptious meal at Xindalu at Hyatt on the Bund. We were then welcomed back with candles and rose petals....a nice gesture by Lola and the hotel staff. On my husband's birthday, we had lunch at Ming Yuen restaurant. Service was good but food was below average and not worth it. The roast pork belly was served with the cartilage bone...we have been having pork belly for years and never came across such a presentation. None of restaurants have any discounts for the hotel guests. The spa is also overpriced and its not affiliated with the hotel which I find it odd. There is 20% discount for hotel guests. While we were enjoying a dip in the pool, we got a call citing the room downstairs was leaking and would it be fine for the maintenance guy to come over and check. We waited for 30 minutes and the door bell rang 3 times in a fraction of a few seconds and it was housekeeping doing the rounds and checking if the room was ok. By then, I was already annoyed as its my husband's birthday and we just wanted some peace and quiet. So I called up receptionist and told them to send over the maintenance guy right away and so the guy came to check immediately. A few minutes later, the birthday cake arrived....complimentary from the hotel..luckily this time the staff only pressed the door bell once. A piece of advice to housekeeping is not to press the door bell too many times in a fraction of few seconds..pls give the guest time at least few seconds to walk to the door. Overall the stay is pleasant but the hotel needs to make some quick improvement if its heading to be a luxury hotel. We would like to thank the hotel staff for their hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013
Chandler L, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for staying with us and giving us your important feedback. We have taken note of all your comments and I will make sure that our teething problems will soon be over.
In regards to your Spa comment I would like to confirm that our Spa is operated by us under the claimed Banyan Tree Spa brand.

If you happen to come again to spend another important celebration with us please let me know and I will make sure all will go perfect and we will add a pleasant surprise.

With best regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed at the Banyan Tree Shanghai for 2 nights during our visit to Shanghai. It was a great and pleasant stay. The staff were extremely friendly and they upgraded our room and met all our needs. Thank you for everything Banyan Tree.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Royal tea set with layers of savouries, pastries and cakes served in a bird cage and came with a cup of coffee/ tea and 2 glasses of champagne. The setting was charming, but expecting more tasty and attractive finger-food.
Very relaxing lounge viewing the Bund, until a young child at next table started watching cartoon in high volume with his tablet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund? Share your experiences!