“Dining with set menu in private room, fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercato

Mercato
HuangPu District ZhongShan DongYi Road 3, WaiTan 3 6 Floor, Shanghai, China (The Bund)
021-63219922
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: The Bund
Shanghai, China
“Dining with set menu in private room, fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I was here at a work dinner where our leader was told they must order from set menu. We were in a private room with 1-2 servers in there at all times, thus it was a different experience than many of the reviews. 1. The waiters were incredibly attentive, wine filled automatically, plates removed, good pace. Basically not china!! 2. I enjoyed the food immensely. My favorite was the rigatoni and meatballs, which I'm in the midst of scheduling a dinner to go back just for that. The sauce was very flavorful and the pasta was just the right al dente. My one negative for this was we arrived and the leader wasn't there so they told us to sit at the bar and wait, when actually half the party was already in the room. Could definitely be more organized.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Malang, Indonesia
“Never go back!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We're forced to choose set menu as the receptionist told us it's the way to ensure the food is served on time both for our table and the other guests. They did confirm I will have a private room in fact another group was also sharing the "private" space with us, this is really bad customer service. Manager Jason said it's very normal in this restaurant and I think his job is to make guest upset here.
Nothing really special on the wine list, all priced are marked up to shanghai benchmark, moreover we're promised the set menu is served quickly but gotta waited for loooong time for every dishes.
Compare to JEAN George's upstairs, they have so many things to be improve - maybe they don't care and even their clientele doesn't care either. But I'm not coming back anymore, I'm gonna back to JG when it must be a business dinner on the bund, Christophe the manager there knows how to keep customer happy and enjoy the meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shanghai, China
“Shoulder Workout”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The more time you spend in China, you learn to begin to get comfortable with waving at servers for attention. I absolutely hate waving at servers. I've worked in restaurants for many years and know how insulting it is to be waved at or shouted at. I know it's china but I still hate it.

So with all the great reviews and pedigree that came with Mercato, I thought this would be a safe bet for good food and good service. Boy was I wrong.

We ordered wines by the glass… they came out after our starters. We are talking a solid 15 minutes for glasses of wine or water. What???

Halfway through our main courses, we needed another glass of wine, which we needed to wave a server down for. The whole eye contact and casual hand in the air did not work. You will receive a blank stare by multiple servers just walking by. Obviously too busy to help. Maybe it was my fault.

There were a lot of staff on duty. Servers, bussers, managers, and runners. I couldn't tell who was who but it seemed that no body was willing to accept our waves or eye contact. Literally 5-8 employees that wouldn't give us the time of day.

I believe that wines and bottles of water are where a restaurant makes a lot of money. Why were we being ignored?

Finally when it came time to get the bill, it was another long long long long long wait… after the second time we asked. 45 minutes after we finished our meal, we finally left the building. It was a long and enduring meal.

I think it was only after we began stacking our empty glasses on top of our empty plates somebody finally got the hint that we just wanted to leave. It was just a terrible experience. Thankfully I was with my girlfriend who made for great conversation and played along with how horrible the service was, if it had been our first or second date, it would have been terrible.

As for the food, I've had better and I've had worse. Pretty unremarkable.

They had a service charge, which I thought was a joke. We paid. We left. The END.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
South Africa
“Breath of Fresh air when in China”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

It does have short falls, not the cheapest and you find yourself constantly needing to call waiters as apposed to them coming around. These aside when away from home and traveling China it is a breath of fresh air. The food is fresh & tasty and the view of the Bund together with inner decor give it a very sophisticated yet relaxed feel.

We ate the pasta with Meatballs which was melt in your mouth stuff, starters were excellent and desserts even better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“One of the best meals I've had in a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I discovered Mercato on Time Out Shanghai as Critics choice for one of the best restaurants in Shanghai. Tripadvisor affirmed that it was also ranked pretty high so we found ourselves having dinner one evening there. What a meal we had!

This is located at No. 3 on the Bund which is a 4 floor (each floor a different restaurant) building of apparently fine (and expensive) places to eat. The place is decorated in natural materials - construction site bars, leather, raw unfinished wood with hand sketched artists rendering to be found on the see through glasses - all in all a classy chemistry laboratory of food. The bar shelves which are usually stocked with alcohol bottles had empty bottles of different sizes and colours lending it a pretty look and aiding to the overall atmosphere.

We started the meal on a great footing with the fresh cheese and berry compote dish (which was one of the finest dishes i have ever eaten) - a great fusion of flavours. Also a wonderful chilli garlic and olive oil pizza - finely made with raw authentic flavours that kept you licking your fingers. Other good dishes - lettuce salad, buffalo cheese with fresh lemon and a different (but not so tasty) mint and pesto pasta and finally a tiramisu.

Cost of dishes - between 50 - 120 RMB per dish but we were vegetarian (no fish, no meat - ok with dairy as you can see) so meat dishes will be more expensive.

Overall - super, super, super - must recommend to all and must come back for my cheese and berry appetiser when Im in Shanghai next and indecisive about eating places.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere