“Wow, wow, wow. An experience not to be missed by any foodie” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet

Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet
Somewhere in Shanghai, Shanghai 200070, China (The Bund)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12,652 Restaurants in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: Conceived by Paul Pairet for over 15 years and opened in May 2012, Ultraviolet is the first restaurant of its kind uniting food with multi-sensorial technologies in order to create a fully immersive dining experience. A single table of ten seats only. A dining room of high-end technology. A 20-course "Avant-Garde" set menu. All guests sit together. The experience unfolds as a play. Food leads. Each course is enhanced with its own taste-tailored atmosphere: lights, sounds, music, scents, projection, images and imagination... And food.
Sydney, Australia
“Wow, wow, wow. An experience not to be missed by any foodie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

At least now I have a very clear answer for that party question - "So what was your most memorable meal ever?"
Ultraviolet Shanghai exceed expectations even though they were very high to begin with. I went with 4 mates form Sydney, Australia. We all agreed that even thought the price was approx 850USD, it was good value believe it or not.

• Visited September 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Dining Experience EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Like other reviewers on this page, I do not want to share too much. I deliberately did not scan reviews before my dining experience at Ultraviolet. I was not disappointed.
It truly is a dining experience, it is not just about extraordinary, exquisite food, but also about getting sensory stimulation through sounds, sights and smells that are pared with each of the 20 courses, just like the drinks are.
The food is 1 fantastic course after another. The way it is presented, prepared, flavored and constructed is innovative, unique and utterly delicious. Even for a non-oyster eater (me!) I absolutely loved the way that Chef Paul created that particular dish.
I devoured everything put in front of me - in many cases, I actually wanted to lick the plate clean. I am still in awe of the taste explosion that was our meal!
Some highlights: ALL of the food, the intimate, attentive and very personal service, meeting the chefs at the end of the evening (with surprise).
If you are in Shanghai, this is most definitely a MUST VISIT restaurant. The only problem will be getting a seat at the table.

• Visited September 2013
China
“3h+ of joy and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was quite skeptical before going as I usually don't agree with hype surrounding many of the places in this town. It is a bit of a show going on as well during the dinner and I can understand that some dislike that. I personally felt it was a good distraction and during the 3h-3h30 the dinner took I never felt bored in any way. It is a bit of a special experience.
For the food, some dishes I loved, they were really stunning, such as the oyster with caviar, the foie gras tartine, chicken with foie gras and also the bread with truffles, those were some of my favorites. Some others also great, the rest good. The desserts were a little less exciting. Many of the dishes were very playful along a theme which is also really nice but in some cases a little too much.
Drink combinations were overall okay, some wine not really great in my mind, most good and in some cases excellent. Also quite playful as well.
Overall a great dining experience and I'd really like to try out the UVA menu as well.

• Visited August 2013
“I'm coming back again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I tried menu A. And the whole experience- plus the nice ending where Chef himself was behind the doors cooking- was absolutely brilliant! Food is sooooo good kings & queens will go down on their knees for more! I'm coming back again!

• Visited October 2012
Shanghai
“So so...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

so so experience...
sorry to my friends but they invite me to this experience of dining and l didn't like...
Great looking restaurant with lovely interior, it looks and feels high end.
The menu had some good dishes, but unfortunately also several below average (or maybe expectations for this price range?)

• Visited August 2013