Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class

Ranked #13 of 112 activities in Shanghai
Type: Tours, Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cook In Shanghai organizes Chinese cooking classes and Cooking activities for big groups in Shanghai to introduce you to real local culture. Our regular group classes and private events all let you choose your own recipes, include a visit to the local wet market, and allow hands-on training for each participant. (Our recipes never use MSG.)
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had a great time with Helen and Cherry. They are so nice and helpful and the way they set up the classes is wonderful. You not only learn first hand how to cook the dishes you choose, but also you can enjoy eating them and sharing a pleasant afternoon with both of them. I definitely recommend this classes to thouse that like chinese food.

Visited July 2013

Chinatown, Singapore
“Worth doing if you want to learn legit Chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had a great time!They were really nice,and the food was great!Thanks for a wonderful cooking afternoon, save room because you'll be making and eating a lot.

Visited July 2013
Shanghai, China
“Nice atmosphere and a big laugh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was so much fun. 4 friends of mine and me took the hand-pulled noodle (La Mian) and steamed bun (baozi) course. It was a private course which can be booked for 4-6 people and costs 1600RMB. The course is not cheap, but definitely worth its price.

First, we met at the metro station and our cook Cherry welcomed us in a very friendly and cheerful way. Her English is very good. So she showed us the wet market, explained different things and could answer all of our questions. When we passed the fruit market, she also bought some fruits for us we didn't know before and showed us how to eat them.
After that we went to their place, to have a small tee ceremony. The tee was delicious!
Cherry also showed us how to make the baozi, which is not that difficult. The harder part was the hand pulled noodles.
A chef (who unfortunately couldn't speak English, but the girls were translating everything for us) showed us how to make the noodles. It was a lot of fun and a very nice experience. But if you wanna do them right, you have to practice a lot!
In the very end, we all sat together, enjoyed our self made food and had a nice chat.

In total, I can only recommend this course. It is in a nice and welcome atmosphere, their English is really good, so you can ask a lot of questions and they answer it perfectly. The whole group is very friendly and open minded, so you will have a lot of fun!!!
It was also very nice that they asked us if we want to join them to the night market, but we were just sooo full from all the food that we couldn't make it anymore. :)

Lulea, Sweden
6 attraction reviews
“Best Sichuan food we had in Shanghai!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon shopping, cooking, eating and chatting with Helen and her helper, Cherry. I had requested a private class for 3 Sichuan dishes that I had tasted on an earlier visit to Chengdu, Sichuan province and had tried unsuccessfully to duplicate at home in my kitchen in Sweden.
Touring the fresh market with Cherry beforehand we purchased the items we would not be able to find back home and then walked back to Helen's kitchen (in her apartment) to prepare and cook the food. Both women speak english well and are very charming. I am not sure if our attempts will be as tasty as the dishes we created today. I really got a sense of the subtleties of the dishes I chose and why my earlier attempts have been unsuccessful. A lot of the fun was just hanging out with these two great and interesting young chinese women. This was a memorable experience!

Geneva, Switzerland
“Exciting learning class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We loved this class. We took the hand-pulled noodle class for 6 people. That has been my favorite cooking class I have taken in Shanghai. The class was very nice and the conversation afterwards was too. I enjoyedlearning more about Chinese history and culture.
The chef was very professional and passionate; he can pull different shapes for the noodles. First he taught us how to knead the dough, then he showed us how to pull it. We looked at the chef pulling and thought it was very easy, but that was not what i thought. We practiced a lot, the chef was extremely patient and nice. Finally everyone did it. If I would get back to Shanghai, I will take another lesson at Cook in Shanghai. Thanks Helen and Cherry. I wish you continued success.

Visited June 2013

Travelers who viewed Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class also viewed

Been to Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later
Save Saved
You added Cook In Shanghai homestyle Chinese cooking classes- Private Cooking Class to your Saves list