Agoda.com LuxuryCollection
Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Hengshan Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai 200031, China (Hengshan Road)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
At least 20% off Suites
Ranked #23 of 3,560 hotels in Shanghai
Palm Springs, California
“Sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and would highly recommend it and will definitely stay there again. The restaurant is great for breakfast, but would not recommend it for dinner. The gym is nice and you get free wifi, except it drops as you move from one area to the next and you have to re-accept the terms and conditions. It was a pain, but at least it was free.

Room Tip: I was there on twice in October and one room had a view out to the exterior and one had a view with...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, November 1, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and feedback on your recent stay with us, we are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have lived up to your expectations. Your compliments and encouragement will enable us to further motivate all of us here to continue to strive for higher and better stands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Beautiful architecture, the hotel itself is in a oval shape, a nice idea, but still not enough natural light. Being an oval also means one has to change lifts to get from rooms to restaurants and conference rooms. The left side of the hotel lobby (facing the check in desk), stunk like sewage though. Right side is ok though (was in room 331).

Incredibly huge rooms with nice esthetics. Free beer and soft drinks. Nespresso and tea making facilities. Washlet was a nice touch. The finishings in the bathroom is quite similar to the finishings used at most St Regis hotels; however, whoever was their contractor was could have done a better job so that plugs in the sinks don't leak or threatened to be loosened when one removes his/her charger. When I closed the bathroom door, one of the wood panels on the ceiling shifted and I can't reopen it fully. Minor stuff, but since this is the Luxury Collection, should have done better. The rest of the room is nicely decorated in modern minimalism.

Food is where everything falls apart. Before I came here, I had heard from two individuals who do not know each other that they got food poisoning after dining at the hotel. I stayed away from all uncooked food, but still had some stomach trouble. Having seen how the staff rolled out the food to the conference venue, I sort of realised why food safety might not be something that they are keenly aware of. I picked up a pretzel from the deli as a snack and that was so tough that I wondered how many days this baked good has been sitting on the shelf - I couldn't even pull it apart. That was a waste of RMB 22!

Service on the whole was not fabulous - staff will just tell you to go take the lifts on the right without indicating where they were exactly. And since the lifts are hidden (and there are no signs), I couldn't find it when I first arrived. Catering staff will just roll out their cart and make you make room for them as you cross the lobby or hallway - that was a bit shocking as I've never seen catering staff wheeling out their carts through the lobby.

We had drinks at the outdoors terrace on the 5/F one night. 30 mins after we've ordered our drink, and only after when two people had gone in and asked where is our wine and cocktails, were the drinks delivered. Apparently, they had to go back down to the 1/F to get the drinks!

Gym has nice equipment, but strange set up with some weights outside and some in a smaller room that was probably designed for private training. But air circulation in the gym was very poor.

I would probably come back here due to SPG points, but the Langham Xintiandi is definitely better value (if you don't mind the pink!).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 30, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

First off, thank you for taking the time to send us the feedback and I would like to extend my apologies for the unpleasant stay experience that you have encountered during your recent stay with us, there is no excuse for the fact that we did not live up to your expectation.

I have looked into the matter and have begun retraining and coaching our relevant associates to ensure that proper procedures and standards are thoroughly understood and followed, your comments and suggestions will also serve as reminders so that similar instances will not occur in the future.

Again, please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in late September. This is a second review of the hotel since I stayed here in April 2013 also. Rooms and hotel are nice - bathrooms are quite nice. Breakfast buffet and fitness are very nice. My only quibble on this stay was that I did not think the staff were as accommodating as my previous visit. Service was incredible in April, and I would say pretty good this time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night. Apparently this is a new hotel which was only open last Dec. The room was quite good and you get everything you expect and the pool is also good. Also the location is quite good.However I found out the hardware was not that great. First house keeping, the rubbish left by the previous guests were not cleaned , second the quality of food is just about average, third some staff is lack of training especially iro Gym and Pool. Having said that, the concierge was quite helpful. May come back again,

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

New Starwood property, trying to be a boutique hotel, but a bit too large to succeed. Lobby resembles an office building, and rather soulless, but luxurious and perfectly situated for subway station (next door) and booming Xu Jia Hua commercial and shopping district.

The hotel has a "boulevard" of shops, but despite being open for 10 months most are empty, adding to the "office" feel

Top floor (6th) rooms have nice courtyard feel.

Restaurant (Western on 6th floor) accessible only via separate lift in lobby. Reasonable food, standard hotel fare.

Will stay again, staff helpful but under training

Quite expensive for a "Sheraton" @ rmb 2300/night. There is good free wifi without password throughout the hotel.

The "Japanese intelligent toilet" is very good!

Room Tip: Higher is better, and balconies aren't much use and steal space from rooms, so no need
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed in September for a business trip. We had a conference at the hotel.The hotel arranged for the transportation from the airport. The driver called ahead when we were approaching the hotel so check in was a breeze, completed in the room itself. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The room was quite large as was the bathroom. I loved the coffee/espresso machine. The toilet was a trip as others mentioned, although I could not figure out how to turn off the heat. The food and service was very good. The breakfast buffet had several options to choose from accommodating all types of preferences for food. The only complaint was the wifi. I had troubles using it with VPN together. At the end of the trip I discovered hard wire accessories in one of the beautiful lacquered boxes that I could have used. During checkout, I realized that I had left my phone in the room. Someone was kind enough to go search for me without any issues at all, brought my phone down to me. Overall great stay.

Room Tip: rooms facing the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FrankBai, Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 16, 2013

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and feedback on your recent stay with us, we are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have lived up to your expectations. As to the problems you mentioned, our team will take effort to improve service and will provide you with a better experience when the next trip takes you back to Shanghai!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This newly built low-rise hotel, about 9mo. old at the time of this review, boasts beautifully finished rooms with great comfort and gadgets. From a toilet seat hat welcomes you with open arms (no kidding, the lid just opens for your as you approach) to the JBL iPod clock (4 series compatible), to the surround sound from a great flatscreen Samsung, to the wonderful WiFi service free throughout, it made for a wonderful stay. Everyone went out of their way to welcome you. Specifically, i would like to recognize Virgina (concierge), and Frank from the front desk staff - keep up the great work!

As you head for breakfast, be sure to check out the outside seating area. Although service lacks, it's a wonderful retreat to start your day.

This location does not lack restaurant options. Whithin walking distance, and For a fun and western-like atmosphere, check-out Shanghai Brewery for a great beer (they had my Duvel - Belgian) and OK sports bar food.

This was a nice change from my usual stay at JW Marriott. I recommend you give it a try, it will not disappoint.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai.

It is such a pleasure to see your great review shared on Tripadvisor.com. We would like to express our gratitude to your compliments on our staff and facilities. Your compliments and encouragement will enable us to further motivate all of us here to continue to strive for higher and better stands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Twelve at Hengshan.

Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Been to Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai? Share your experiences!