“fascinating” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Jade Buddha Temple like an insider
Private Tour
$68*
and up
Private Tour: Yuyuan Garden, Chenghuangmiao...
Ranked #33 of 1,305 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This Chinese Buddhist Temple hosts two jade Buddha statues imported from Burma, along with many other cultural relics. It is a peaceful refuge from the modern bustle of Shanghai, where monks may be seen and heard conducting Buddhist ceremonies.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
“fascinating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Staying nearby at the Hilton this lookesd completely anachronistic, a traditional temple completely surrounded by high rise towers.
for us it was a peaceful unhindered wander round some fascinating architecture and statues.
we also hit on a funeral ceremony and were priviledged to see at first hand another aspect of traditional chinese life in a city that is anything but

Visited September 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Athens, Ohio
“Let down.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Was not impressed by this place. I felt like I was at the McDonald's of temples. The guide swiftly directed us into the gift shop as soon as we arrived, where we felt pressured to buy "spiritual" souvenirs. We had to pay two different admission fees and there were vendors calling to us to buy things as we were trying to admire the sights. Buddhism is NOT about this kind of behavior. I did not feel that this was a spiritual experience for me.

If you are going there just to check it out and don't care about the surroundings, then I must say there are some beautiful sights.

Sydney
9 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Great experience of a Buddhist temple. Full of atmosphere. Slightly chaotic. Definitely a must see. Great cultural experience.

Visited September 2012
USA
85 attraction reviews
“...just another temple...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

By the time I visited this temple, I had been in China for more than a week, and I had seen some pretty spectacular places in Xi'an and Beijing. So, when my guide took me here, I simply was not impressed. There was nothing really spectacular about the place. And, for this to be a spiritual site, it just felt ANYTHING BUT spiritual. For me, I CERTAINLY could have done without visiting this place.

Visited July 2012
CA, USA
“NOT a spiritual place. Bring money, see a few things, & fill your time. Do not expect more.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

It seems this 'temple' is located right in the middle of a market or something because its surrounding on the outside STINKS. At the time we arrived by taxi, there was a loud argument right in the front door.. perhaps some motorcyclist ran into someone walking, no one hurt but maybe someone wanted compensation.. First impression: stinky and scary.

We learned that we had to PAY an entrance fee to enter the 'temple'. Also, another fee to PAY if we wanted to light some incense.. When I opened my purse, the MONK leaned over and looked in it, trying to see how much money I have (which determined their level of catering services to us. he didn't get to see anything!). The whole time there, most monks were constantly checking there cell phones!!!! Even the chanting was just a 'show'.

Nothing was authentic, respectful, spiritual, or simple here.Take away those in robes 'the monks' and those running the place, it is a site worth seeing for all of its old characteristics and charms. Unfortunately not enough to compensate for the people's terrible behavior.

The real bottom line there is the site generates money, so put on your costumes. Quite honestly, I believe that the Chinese despite religion/Buddhism. Without speaking it out loud, they simply express their disgust in action. ???What happened to them???

We walked around, there was a short hallway (about 15 normal walking steps away) leading to another room.. so we followed to look inside. Turned out it was just a restaurant, so we turned around to come back on our path. Notice this is still inside the 'temple' premise, no gate, no door of any sort; except a sign in Chinese word. A man who wasn't there 20 seconds ago YELLED at us in Chinese & blocked our way. We politely tried to explain in few words that we were just walking around. He sounded like he repeated what he just said in YELLING tone.. About the 4th time of his repeat, he held out his hand out (like to insist we give him something...) We gave him our tickets. He let us pass him.

We believe he must have said: temple Restaurant guests don't get access to the 'temple' area without tickets. But what kind of manner is that on a 'temple' premise?? Was it because we were Asian, so he treated us like one of his kind and called us thief?? We sure felt like ones. Perhaps, if we were light skin, blonde hair, and taller he would have composed a more proper manner?!!?!!

Then, there was another heavy fee we'd have to pay if we'd like to see 'the Jade Buddha' --no, I was disappointed at how nasty this experience was. I was done with this place. Actually, were were done anyway because there wasn't MUCH of anything to see or to learn.

We took a cab on that rainy day after we learned from the phone app that this was an attraction site. We were ripped off by the Taxi on the "to" trip. We had been in Shanghai for 4 days, so we decided to walk back. It was may be.. 3-4 miles away.

We did a lot of walking and I do like the walk. I learned after my entire trip that China today isn't truly what it seems. What it really is, is no more than a metal ring plated with a very thin layer of gold. That amount of gold isn't suitable quality for our western world but its faulty shine sets it apart amongst Asia.

I came to China looking for the old world, one of a kind craftsmanship, society of integrity.. After all, that is what their media projects about who they are, isn't it?? I was disappointed.

Visited October 2011