“Excellent boutique hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 88 Xintiandi, Shanghai

Save Saved
You added 88 Xintiandi, Shanghai to your Saves list
88 Xintiandi, Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.380 Huangpi South Road, Shanghai 200021, China (Xintiandi)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy up to RMB125 credit
Ranked #13 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Sao Paulo, SP
“Excellent boutique hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I spent two weeks in this great hotel and I was very impressed with the fantastic service the hotel offered. Apart from the location (that could not be better), the service level is what differentiates this hotel from other chain fancy hotels.
The manager gets to know each gest to assure that we are all happy with the service, and to make us feel in a more "intimate" place. Differently from a hotel with 200 rooms, this hotel offers what guests would expect from a boutique hotel. The afternoon tea with snacks, and free drinks in the evening are just small examples of what the hotel offers.
Because the manager knows each guest's needs / preferences, he can best orient his team to be proactive and constantly exceed their expectations. Some examples that we found amazing in these 2 weeks: on the birthday of one of my colleagues, the hotel prepared a "surprise cake" for him and the whole team to celebrate his birthday; when we were asking about a restaurant location, the manager walked us to the restaurant; when we asked the staff about delivery service for a restaurant, he mentioned the restaurant does not offer the service, but he promptly offered one of staff to pick up the food for me. These small attitudes made our stay so nice! This was the best service I've ever seen in a hotel!
And if you stay in this hotel, make sure you get to know Serge, the hotel manager!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for an exteded period of time for work. The location is great right next to all the eateries and shops as well a cinema. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. The room is large and comfortable. It was great that they had Breakfast dish of the day at the lounge along with the usual breakfast choice. Dim sum was definitely my favourite.

I also appreciate that they gave me a late checkout at the hotel. Thank you!

Will definitely stay here again if I ever get back to Shanghai.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Fantastic service in both English and Mandarin- train tickets, transport arrangements, writing down closest electronics store's name in Mandarin, directions and advice, show tickets, luggage transitions- you name it and they came up in spades.

Hotel: Well-sized rooms with all the usual modern amenities (and then some- needle and thread and clips and other 'little' things you might forget) and tasteful, asian-themed deco plus lovely views over Xintiandi, yet close the window and the noise was gone (we faced Xintiandi on a Friday night and never heard since squeak).

They recognized us after the first day and kept a look out for our arrangements. We even got a letter with the manager's personal cell which we were invited to call if we needed anything and in fact they called one of the front desk person who was on vacation to make sure that the day we left the front-desk staff knew what to do with our luggage (we were making special arrangements).

That's what made Xintiandi 88 a cut above even other boutique hotels- personal, attentive and yet not-obtrusive service.

Location is also fabulous for vacation- Xintiandi is chock full of great eats, and we walked to People's square easily, plus there was subway access to both the major train stations in town (important if you want to catch a train but avoid Shanghai rush hour traffic!)

Recommended!

Room Tip: We loved both the studio that faced the Xintiandi roofs as well as the bigger room that faced the ma...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed there for two nights on business in November 2012.

What I enjoyed the most was the service. The staff were always very helpful and polite (e.g. helping me get a taxi during peak hours). The hotel manager was friendly and would socialise with guests in the lounge during breakfast and afternoon tea. I pointed out some small problems to him in my bathroom and they were rectified immediately (which I didn't expect). I felt that the staff genuinely wanted to help their guests - it's a kind of service that is hard to come by nowadays.

On another note, travellers from the UK may find the following information useful. I didn't bring any cash with me as I thought I would be able to withdraw RMB from cash machines at Pudong airport using my Barclays visa debit card (very silly of me in hindsight). I couldn't. I tried machines of different banks and also in the city but to no avail. When I was about to give up, I went to Standard Chartered Bank just next to the Xintiandi complex and it worked!! So try there next time you need to withdraw RMB using a foreign bank card.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Recently stayed here for 5 nights. Room was very comfortable and quiet; included a mini kitchen, large TV, a soundsystem, DVD player and WIFI. The included breakfast was very good, either western style or Dim Sum. Afternoon tea and pre dinner cocktails were available in the Executive lounge.
Staff were very helpful and friendly.
The location in the former French Concession is great for tourists; lots of restaurants, a lively street scene and a wide variety of shopping
Would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed with this hotel for years till I relocated to Shanghai in 2006, I always enjoyed my stay at this boutique hotel with its impressive service - friendly, attentive, home feel in addition to its perfect convenient location in Shanghai.

I recently moved back to Hong Kong, and started again my business travels to this exciting city - Shanghai. So, I decided to stay with my favour hotel to see how it is nowadays.

Staff are still very friendly, though they don't know me like the old team (I guess most of them left already). In general, they are attentive and helpful to make sure that I have an enjoyable stay. They did some renovation works to rooms which make them more business practical for travellers on business.

I arrived the hotel and noticed that buttons on my suit jacket were broken when I unpacked my luggage. So, I met a housekeeping staff in the morning when I was out for business meeting, I told her that I would need her help to fix those buttons. She replied with smile ... certainly, I will take care of it.

I was suprised to find that these buttons were replaced perfectly when I returned to my room after an hour. I was totally shocked and impressed with such efficient & attentive service.

This is always my home away from home in Shanghai !

ocked

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We discovered 88 Xintiandi through Jetsetter and are incredibly glad we stayed here. After a few days in Xian and Beijing, 88 Xintiandi was a warm welcome and perfect way to start our first-time travels to Shanghai. The location is a convenient stop off line 10, and in the heart of a great walking area in Xintiandi. There are a ton of restaurants and shops in the area, and great people watching as well.

The room we stayed in was also great - a great balance of East and West, and the perfect place to come home to after a day of sight-seeing. But the best part of 88 Xintiandi has to be the staff, and their wonderful hotel manager, Serge. Everyone was welcoming and made our stay hospitable, but Serge sat with us everyday to give us insider tips into the city, helped us curate our own tours and sight-seeing adventures, recommended restaurants throughout the city so that we could try different regions of Chinese foods, and made sure we enjoyed our stay in Shanghai. It was Shanghai Fashion Week when we arrived, and when Serge found out we were interested in catching a show, he was able to reserve us two seats. We asked him if we could make an app for him so that we could take Serge along with us throughout our Shanghai travels!

This hotel is wonderful - from complimentary breakfast and drinks in the lounge, the decor and ambiance, to the hospitable staff and service. We can't wait to come back to Shanghai again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to 88 Xintiandi, Shanghai? Share your experiences!