“From good to a disaster” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Mercure Shanghai Baolong

You added Grand Mercure Shanghai Baolong to your Saves list
Grand Mercure Shanghai Baolong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.180 Yixian Road, Shanghai 200434, China (Jiangwan / Wujiaochang)   |
Ranked #304 of 3,933 Hotels in Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Staying here (placed by work as we were dealing with nearby Fudan university) was one of the worst experiences of my life. Eventually I left and on own expense went to a decent hotel to recover!

First almost no one actually speaks English - they pretend to but it is all lies. I asked them to write down the kanji for Jinjiang Hotel where I had a business meeting - they had no idea where it was even tho I had looked it up on Google and shown them it on the map - and it is famous! so they simply lied and wrote wrong characters down, As a result taxi took me to wrong hotel on own initiative (Jinjiang Tower) and I missed my meeting.

Second the room was far too stuffy and warm and I had the aircon on but to no avail. Eventually I rang someone to come up and they admitted the aircon actually was not cooling at all - but every morning they left it on to pretend! I learned to switch it off as it was noisy and actually making room warmer! They suggested opening windows which I had already done then looked hopeless - this was a repeated pattern from staff.

They also cut power to room during daytime I think as several times I could not get things like lights or hairdriers to work during daytime then miraculously they worked later.

Asking for help with train and changing plane tickets was a nightmare; there is a girl on who again speaks no English and just smiles a lot; the wine in the bar is grossly over priced; the one room service meal I had was swimming in grease; and as others have said there is nowhere to sit in the lobby without paying for overpriced drinks . I had a pot of tea which cost £5! Even a London hotel would be hard pressed to charge that.

The area is horrible - next to enormous road, nowhere to eat nearby and minimal shops - as others said nearest of anything is a 10 min taxi ride away.

Finally and best of all I went for a swim to try to de stress - this is free to guests - but they insisted I bought a hairnet and towel at ludicrous price! I tried to put the items on my room bill as I had not brought a purse with me but they refused to do this. I then went in anyway and they tried to manhandle me and swore at me. After that I had had enough and checked out 2 days early.

Never ever again.
I would recommend all business or personal travellers to avoid this hotel at all costs.

ps Also some of the reviews below are clearly suspect - in particular they lie about the distance to downtown - it is 45 mins in a cab , much longer if traffic is bad as it always is in Shanghai. This is like staying in outer suburbs for anyone from UK.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is my second stay in this hotel, staying on the same floor and room class, and standards have fallen noticeably over the last 12 months. The room, while generally comfortable, was not one I requested -a twin instead of a double- and the surly receptionists were not interested in correcting the error. The standard of decor has deteriorated, the carpets being stained and shabby, the wallpaper seemingly damp and the wooden furniture is noticeably chipped and scuffed. The bathroom had poorly-repainted tiles, but at least they have added the oh-so-useful demisting mirror -essential for a 4*-rating. I was not warned about the very loud reveille at 07:30 from the barracks behind the hotel, either. The staff has little or no command of English, although this is an internaitonal hotel chain, and none seem particularly helpful. Only the assistant in the useful lobby shop seemed willing to help. The lobby has very few chairs for waiting and the lobby lounge staff demand that even resident guests buy exorbitantly over-priced drinks while merely waiting to be collected, which is not the case in most big hotels. A high-priced drink in a 5* hotel in Pudong is to be expected, but not at this hotel. At least the pool and gym are acceptable and the breakfast is varied and generous, although an extra-cost item. The location is good for the north-bund industrial area, with all-too-obvious direct access to the Yixian elevated highway, but unsuited for those wanting to spend time in the Nanjing road and Pudong area. The free 'wired' internet access had very heavy restrictions -even for China- and wi-fi is only really available in the lobby. While it is a in very useful location and prices are average for the area, I will probably stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: The Yixian Road side of the hotel has the noise from the ground and elevated road and junctions, (a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

A very stylish and elite hotel for people who like comfort and luxury. Nice dim lights and many carpets. Very friendly and professional staff. I like this place for colonial style and nice exotic oriental servitude.

Room Tip: Any rooms is good here. Better on high floors as traffic in Shanghai is huge.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
East Amherst
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Beautiful. Great rooms. Otherwise a full rip off. We went to the lobby to have a drink. Not only was it a major overpriced situation, but they also hide a service charge. A local beer was 48 RMB plus another 8 RMB service charge. In US money it was $10.00. A mixed drink was even more.... I do not have a problem with paying for value, but this was too much.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I would like to recommend this hotel to everybody who is traveling to Shanghai.
The location is not exactly in the center, but it will take 10 minutes by taxi to city center.
English speaking staff will help you with everything and will recommend you the best possible options how to organize your trip and your program.
Excellent breakfast with Western and Asian food. On the evening there is a buffet dinner with various Western and Asian food also and price of this buffet dinner is including drinks.
Room was clean with comfortable bed, free internet connection.
Hope that you will enjoy your stay at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

New Delhi, Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I checked in at this hotel on May 10th, 2013. The lobby and the other areas are very nice. They also offered me welcome tea. The room was also very nice with transparent bathroom. Though the bathtub was not useful as the water level of the bathtub was very low and the handheld shower on the bathtub was not working properly. The most pathetic experience I had with the air conditioner. I didn't realize in the morning when I checked in because I went outside for city tour after an our. I finally realized at night that the ac is not working at all and was literally sweating. I threw out blanket and tried to sleep because it was very late at night and had to go to a place called Yiwu early in the morning by Bullet train. I thought I'll tell them in the morning about the AC but didn't get time. On the second day I again came very late at night but I still called the room service. A manager on duty came and check and said the AC is working fine, they do not feel hot. I was staying in room # 913. Upon request, he changed the room to # 909. I thought may be the problem with this particular room. When I moved to the other room on the same floor, I realized that the AC is not working here either. The room service manager also told me if you feel hot, then you can open the windows which didn't make any difference for cooling but of course was getting outside noise. Didn't feel like to bother them again. Somehow managed to sleep with sweating. In the morning once again I went out for business. After coming back, I complained at the reception that AC didn't work for the last two days. They apologized for the same and accepted that the AC was not working but they repaired it and today it's working. I happily entered the room and turned the AC on. I t was better but still can't sleep with the blanket. Next day once again I woke up early in the morning and went out for business. Again came late at night and found the AC is not working again. I became frustrated but didn't complain because the next day was my check out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand Mercure Shanghai Baolong? Share your experiences!