When needing a cheap hotel, I used to go to the "Donghu guesthouse" on Donghu road, but recently discovered the Rendez-vous Merry. I have to say that for a budget hotel (less than 400 CY per night on booking.com) it is a really good option for Shanghai: the location is quite central, on Yan'An road, close from the French concession (10 mn walk) and not far from the metro line 2 (15-20 mn from Jiangsu station). The room size and amenities are superior to the other hotel of that price range: relatively spacious room, large king bed, quality linen, decent marble bathroom with shower AND bathtub, quality towels, working desk, water kettle, free nescafe bags, and lounge area by the window. Honestly it is really satisfactory. Now of course, being a budget option, the hotel has no charm. It looks a bit old and dusty, the typical medium-range 4 stars Chinese hotel. Definitely not the place you want to bring your girlfriend to impress!! But if you are traveling alone, it has everything your need, and the cleanliness is really satisfactory. The only small down-side for me was the breakfast: priced at more than 100 CY with taxes, it was quite disappointing: the croissant came rock-hard, as if re-heated 10 times. Coffee was good, I simply wish they filled the pot a bit more. You are far better off at the nearest coffee shop (Costa Cafe on Zhenning road, 5 mn walk).
Another small down side was the staff: not the friendly type (Donghu guesthouse, on this aspect, was better): when checking-out, they rushed me into paying, while I still wanted to clarify some cost components on my bill. Same goes for the bell-boys: I wanted to book a taxi, they were not so helpful or proactive, so I was better off on the road myself hailing a cab.
Useful tip: there is an ATM right next to the hotel, on the left.
If alone and in the mood for some nice diner and wine, go on Zhenning road and head to the French concession: either Anfu road (try "Enoterra" or "La Maison Gourmande") or Wukang road (=> "Ferguson lane"). Another of my favourite nearby restaurant is "Ginger", on # 91 of Xingguo road (close to Hunnan road). All these are really cool places, with lots of atmosphere, quality French or fusion food, and excellent wine. Perfect to chill out after a long day visiting factories, or sitting in dull meetings. They are also really good places where to bring your business partners. If you really want to impress a Chinese business partner, crack your budget and bring him to "Frank", the best French restaurant in town, with pub atmosphere. (in Ferguson lane. Book ahead, the place fills fast!)
If you need other advice on where to go / what to do, do not hesitate to contact me separately by email: I have lived in Shanghai for 5 years, and still travel there every month. I will be glad to help.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Rendezvous Merry Hotel Shanghai, we are delighted to announce that we will soon be renamed Rendezvous Hotel Shanghai Merry.Whether you are travelling for business or leisure, you will appreciate the convenience of having many of the city’s major attractions and offices at your doorstep. Conveniently located along Yan An West Road in Shanghai’s Puxi district, you can walk to Nanjing Road in five minutes, and popular sites like the Bund, Xintiandi, Yuyuan Garden and People’s Square are just a short drive from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Rendezvous Merry Hotel Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rendezvous Merry Shanghai
- Shanghai Rendezvous Merry Hotel