“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New World Shanghai Hotel

You added New World Shanghai Hotel to your Saves list
New World Shanghai Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1555 Dingxi Road | Changning District, Shanghai 200050, China (Zhongshan Park)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Paris, France
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Fantastic experience
We stayed at this hotel because it was recommended to us by a dear friend who works for Lufthansa. From the moment we arrived at Shanghai airport we were welcomed by a friendly staff member who immediately took care of our suitcases and accompanied us to the limousine. We were impressed by the smiles of the young men at the door, wearing long black, modern coats, unlike the usual 'uniforms'. We are seasoned travelers, who have been around the world, both for business and pleasure, from Mexico to New Zealand, Africa....
We were met in the lobby by Laurens, who immediately explained us everything about the hotel and its very convenient location right at Line 2 of the subway, with easy access to the fast train to the airport. He also told us how taxis operate and which taxis not to take. Whenever we saw Laurens, he asked if he could be of any service and suggested nice restaurants and things to do and see in Shanghai.
The first evening we had drinks in the newly renovated lobby bar, where we were met by very friendly and professional young female staff. During the whole duration of our stay, staff recognized us and always smiled.
We liked the option of having the 2 very different bars, especially as we were traveling with our 26 year old son, who really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the bar in the Penta hotel.
We had a very spacious and comfortable room with park view.
Very impressive is the breakfast with freshly cooked food of very high standard and with a choice for different nationalities. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Elise G,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. Your positive comments will certainly act as encouragement for the rest of the team and I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will also most certainly pass on your kind words to Laurens who has great customer skills as you experienced and pointed out yourself. I am also very happy to let you know that in addition to the CHA Lounge and pentalounge bars we will shortly open our newly renovated YOU Bar which I hope you will patronize during a future visit to our hotel.

I thank you again for your positive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

Marcel van Mierlo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

wow...what a fantastic hotel. we had come to shanghai to see our son and chose this hotel as it was close to where he lives on changning road. From the minute we arrived we were treated so well, by william on the reception desk....he asked if we would like an upgrade at a cost of 30gbp per night, believe me take this option it was so worth it, we had a fantastic room, free wifi, printing etc...and best of all club lounge, where all day you can eat snacks (amazing) tea and coffee, soft drinks and then at between 6 and 8pm free cocktails, beer, wine spirits and salads, sandwiches, cakes.....cannot praise this hotel enough, it has a swimming pool where you had amazing veiws of shanghai, closed while we were there due to the time of year. if anyone wants anymore info please do not hesitate to ask. they do an absolutely fantastic breakfast you would not believe the standard of this restaurant. we also did the all you can eat buffet in the evening, we will definitely be staying here again in the very near future, and thankyou again william for helping us make the choice to upgrade.....

Room Tip: im sure the standard rooms are very good, but for the extra charge please upgrade you will be treate...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear northernsoulgirl,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you were happy with your choice to upgrade your room to one of our Club Rooms. We are very proud of our newly renovated Club Rooms and are preparing for the opening of our new Club Lounge on the 38th Floor due to open sometime at the end of next month. I hope you will visit us again soon to experience our all new renovated product. Your kind comments about William will most certainly be shared with him and our Executive Chef will be most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in NONG Cafe.

I thank you again for your words of encouragement and Tripadvisor contribution!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel is very near my business meetings. It's a 5 minute walk to the Multimedia plaza where my clients office are located (conveniently, a Costa coffee and a Starbucks is en route---perfect perk for the jetlagged!). The hotel has just finished renovations and it's welcoming.
I stayed in the delux room with a nice park view, reminds me of Central Park. Great location, friendly staff, nice wine selection and wonderful cuisine. A great hotel for business. Will stay here again when I'm here for leisure since it's so close to everything!

Room Tip: Park view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Moses R,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. The team and I are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcome you back to Shanghai soon! We obviously agree with you that our location is second to none: downtown, opposite the park and right next door to the metro station and shopping area!

I will most certainly share your positive remarks with my colleagues and thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a business seminar which we also hosted.
We were given a corporate rate and therefore the price was very reasonable.
The view from the room was nothing special, but at the price we paid, I didn't expect one.
The location is not premium for Shanghai, but is not far from the centre (20 minutes by taxi) and is right on the main subway line 2 connecting both airports and the railways station (Hongqiao) with the city centre.
The hotel itself maintains a very pleasant atmosphere and is well designed and maintained.
All the food we experienced was of a very high standard with fresh croissants for breakfast and many dishes made fresh in the open kitchens.
Service was generally very good, although there is always room for small improvements.
Generally I found the standard to be close to that of the very best international hotels in China with a price significantly lower.
For travellers on a budget, I would definitely consider this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Zhongshan Park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear biglebufskiBeijing,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am happy to hear you were pleased with your stay and that you found the location of our hotel convenient for the purpose of your visit. We receive many positive comments about our location; being right next door to three major subway lines and opposite beautiful Zhongshan Park.

Your comment about us offering good value for money is another familiar remark we receive regularly and your compliments about the quality of our food and beverage will be shared with the F&B team who will be encouraged by your observation.

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Crans, Valais, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had a fantastic vacation staying at new world hotel in shanghai.. i would definitely come bak and stay again!!! everyone is friendly including Lurens van der Heijden!! he was a fantastic host at the hotel. Hope to visit again soon!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Byran D,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are all very happy to hear you had a 'fanstastic time' in our hotel and your kind words about Laurens van der Heijden will most certainly be shared with him!

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution and look forward to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been coming to Shanghai regularly on business for the past five years and have not been generally pleased with the hotels I've stayed at until I came across the New World.

The sales staff are very helpful and not pushy. Front desk personnel are professional and accommodating.

The rooms were most importantly, clean and well equipped.

Finally, the location is ideal.

Having a reliable hotel to stay at in a city that I will be visiting more and more frequently on business is key. The New World is exactly that: reliable.

I have recommended the New World to several of my colleagues and piers as I know they will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Vlad P,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind words about our associates.

Your comments about our location are echoed by many of our guests and I am obviously very pleased with your remark that you find us 'reliable'.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was very happy with my stay at New World Shanghai Hotel. I loved the food (especially the dim sum), the location was very convenient, the staff was very professional and everything was very clean. I've been back here a few times now and will be going back again soon, this time for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Plaxico B,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are happy you had a good stay and thank you for nice words about our associates.

We agree with you that our location is extremely convenient for both business and leisure travelers. Your positive remarks about the cleanliness in the hotel will most certainly be shared with our housekeeping team!

Marcel van Mierlo

Been to New World Shanghai Hotel? Share your experiences!