“amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New World Shanghai Hotel

You added New World Shanghai Hotel to your Saves list
New World Shanghai Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1555 Dingxi Road | Changning District, Shanghai 200050, China (Zhongshan Park)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 3,987 Hotels in Shanghai
derby
“amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

wow...what a fantastic hotel. we had come to shanghai to see our son and chose this hotel as it was close to where he lives on changning road. From the minute we arrived we were treated so well, by william on the reception desk....he asked if we would like an upgrade at a cost of 30gbp per night, believe me take this option it was so worth it, we had a fantastic room, free wifi, printing etc...and best of all club lounge, where all day you can eat snacks (amazing) tea and coffee, soft drinks and then at between 6 and 8pm free cocktails, beer, wine spirits and salads, sandwiches, cakes.....cannot praise this hotel enough, it has a swimming pool where you had amazing veiws of shanghai, closed while we were there due to the time of year. if anyone wants anymore info please do not hesitate to ask. they do an absolutely fantastic breakfast you would not believe the standard of this restaurant. we also did the all you can eat buffet in the evening, we will definitely be staying here again in the very near future, and thankyou again william for helping us make the choice to upgrade.....

Room Tip: im sure the standard rooms are very good, but for the extra charge please upgrade you will be treate...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear northernsoulgirl,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you were happy with your choice to upgrade your room to one of our Club Rooms. We are very proud of our newly renovated Club Rooms and are preparing for the opening of our new Club Lounge on the 38th Floor due to open sometime at the end of next month. I hope you will visit us again soon to experience our all new renovated product. Your kind comments about William will most certainly be shared with him and our Executive Chef will be most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in NONG Cafe.

I thank you again for your words of encouragement and Tripadvisor contribution!

Marcel van Mierlo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel is very near my business meetings. It's a 5 minute walk to the Multimedia plaza where my clients office are located (conveniently, a Costa coffee and a Starbucks is en route---perfect perk for the jetlagged!). The hotel has just finished renovations and it's welcoming.
I stayed in the delux room with a nice park view, reminds me of Central Park. Great location, friendly staff, nice wine selection and wonderful cuisine. A great hotel for business. Will stay here again when I'm here for leisure since it's so close to everything!

Room Tip: Park view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Moses R,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. The team and I are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcome you back to Shanghai soon! We obviously agree with you that our location is second to none: downtown, opposite the park and right next door to the metro station and shopping area!

I will most certainly share your positive remarks with my colleagues and thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a business seminar which we also hosted.
We were given a corporate rate and therefore the price was very reasonable.
The view from the room was nothing special, but at the price we paid, I didn't expect one.
The location is not premium for Shanghai, but is not far from the centre (20 minutes by taxi) and is right on the main subway line 2 connecting both airports and the railways station (Hongqiao) with the city centre.
The hotel itself maintains a very pleasant atmosphere and is well designed and maintained.
All the food we experienced was of a very high standard with fresh croissants for breakfast and many dishes made fresh in the open kitchens.
Service was generally very good, although there is always room for small improvements.
Generally I found the standard to be close to that of the very best international hotels in China with a price significantly lower.
For travellers on a budget, I would definitely consider this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Zhongshan Park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear biglebufskiBeijing,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am happy to hear you were pleased with your stay and that you found the location of our hotel convenient for the purpose of your visit. We receive many positive comments about our location; being right next door to three major subway lines and opposite beautiful Zhongshan Park.

Your comment about us offering good value for money is another familiar remark we receive regularly and your compliments about the quality of our food and beverage will be shared with the F&B team who will be encouraged by your observation.

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Crans, Valais, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had a fantastic vacation staying at new world hotel in shanghai.. i would definitely come bak and stay again!!! everyone is friendly including Lurens van der Heijden!! he was a fantastic host at the hotel. Hope to visit again soon!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Byran D,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are all very happy to hear you had a 'fanstastic time' in our hotel and your kind words about Laurens van der Heijden will most certainly be shared with him!

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution and look forward to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been coming to Shanghai regularly on business for the past five years and have not been generally pleased with the hotels I've stayed at until I came across the New World.

The sales staff are very helpful and not pushy. Front desk personnel are professional and accommodating.

The rooms were most importantly, clean and well equipped.

Finally, the location is ideal.

Having a reliable hotel to stay at in a city that I will be visiting more and more frequently on business is key. The New World is exactly that: reliable.

I have recommended the New World to several of my colleagues and piers as I know they will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Vlad P,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind words about our associates.

Your comments about our location are echoed by many of our guests and I am obviously very pleased with your remark that you find us 'reliable'.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was very happy with my stay at New World Shanghai Hotel. I loved the food (especially the dim sum), the location was very convenient, the staff was very professional and everything was very clean. I've been back here a few times now and will be going back again soon, this time for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Plaxico B,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. We are happy you had a good stay and thank you for nice words about our associates.

We agree with you that our location is extremely convenient for both business and leisure travelers. Your positive remarks about the cleanliness in the hotel will most certainly be shared with our housekeeping team!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Was on a holiday with my family there and had a great time. The staff were extremely nice and helpful, even became good friends with one of them! Breafast buffet each day was excellent, a lot of variation. Includes a gym and a pool which overlooks the city and has a great view. Hotel is very close to your major shopping centres and the train line is very easy and close to use. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: near the pool ie level 15
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Shaz A,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay in our hotel. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and appreciate your kind words about our Associates.

We agree with you that our location is extremely convenient for both business and leisure travelers, right next door to three major subway lines and conveniently located between both of Shanghai's airports. Our Executive Chef will be most pleased to hear your positve comments about the newly renovated NONG Cafe breakfast buffet and I thank you on his behalf for your observation.

I thank you again for your words of encouragement and Tripadvisor contribution!