“Great hotel, great view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Shanghai Pudong

You added InterContinental Shanghai Pudong to your Saves list
InterContinental Shanghai Pudong
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.777 Zhangyang Road, Pudong District, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #56 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Delhi, India
“Great hotel, great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have been staying at Intercontinental across the world, and this one stands out. The rooms are large, the bathrooms are well-deisgned and spacious, and if you get a river-facing room, like I did, and an upgrade to a suite, that's icing on the cake. The lobby is also elegant and the hotel provides free access tot he internet. The breakfast spread is very tempting and the staff are extremely courteous. I took 6 couple friends to this hotel on a vacation to China and they all concur with me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The rooms were fine, but a little dated. Had the basic amenitites for a business travler. Houskeeping was not great. One day, I came back with all my toiletries literally pushed to the side of the sink so they were in a small pile. The second day, I found my toiletries arranged nicely on a white towel (what I would expect from a hotel), but they took my toothbrush out of the cup it was resting in, put the cup back in the place in the drawer, and left my toothbrush lying flat on the side of the sink, which I found to be unsanitary and really did not appreciate the fact that they touched my toothbrush and left it on a public hotel sink not even on the white towel with the other toiletries.

Concierge and dining staff were both great and very helpful. Unfortunately, the buffet lunch at the downstairs restaurant was not good, and breakfast was only decent. But the waitstaff had fantastic service, and was quickly on hand to pour drinks or take away empty plates. Concierge very nicely helped me with a number of questions, and I feel like Merlin (the guy as opposed to the front desk female Merlin) went out of his way to be helpful.

The front desk management was terrible. I asked for late check out my last morning, and the front desk granted it after first placing me on hold, but apparently not noting it in the system. When I asked for a new key b/c the room had reset, the manager questioned who I had spoken to about the late check out. Obviously, I didn't jot down the name for this, but was giving details of the time of call, etc. He rudely said "fine fine fine, but this is the last time. This is only for gold card members, and be advised that next time you will not receive this." Obviously he needs to tell his staff to properly note it, and if he is going to grant this concession that is not that big of a deal for them, then to be gracious about it.

Most likely I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mirandali, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and share with us about your feedback. We are disappointed to read that you did not receive the right level of service.

We appreciate your loyalty and thank you for using IHG hotels as a priority card gold member. The service you have received from our Front Office Team was totally unacceptable and we do apologize for the inappropriate behavior. Procedures have been revised and actions have been taken to avoid a similar situation in future.

We are sorry about the attitude displayed this was neither IHG standard nor in line with the fundamentals of our InterContinental service culture.

We hope that despite your last experience with our hotel we can convince you of our real performance and may welcome you back to our hotel.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked with our ambassador card on the website for a price included breakfast upon arrival the manager told us we needed to pay another 250 rmb per person for the breakfast
This all added up the room became 1700 rmb per night while you have could booked on booking.com for 1100 rmb including breakfast after explaining this to the manager he told us to book om booking.com and come back to him after

This service is bad bad bad this manager should have been fired for this

Room Tip: If you are a member please check first on booking.com you might find cheaper
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
mirandali, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback. It is with great concern that we learned you did not receive the right level of Intercontinental Service. We take your feedback constructively and strive to do better. We will increase trainings for our employees especially for the management team to deliver better service to our guests.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology and we hope to see you back in near future.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

good location, and consistently provided recognition of my platinum Ambassador status, and provided upgrade to corner room every time i stay there. Rooms are starting to show its age, but still well maintained. recommended mainly for its location

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental Pudong for 1 night . I really liked this hotel. It is in a very good location for me as my companies China headquarters is in the China Telecom building about 5 blocks down Century Blvd. The Jin Mao Hyatt is closer and that where i stayed last time but I like the Intercontinental just as much if not slightly better. I like the Intercontinental becuase it is just very comfortable. The employees are noticeably friendlier than other hotels and the rooms are very comfortable with a large bathroom with shower and tub and a kind of interesting shaded shower that can see through to the bedroom if you raise the shades! The bedding, TV and overall room is not huge but big enough and well laid out. Of course the views are great I had a 7th story room that looked down Century Blvd. Oh did I mention the awesome breakfast buffet with a bakery section, fruits, eggs, meats and a traditional chinese fare section. Best of all I had an exceptional cappucino. They also gave me two free drink coupons at check in because I was a member of their rewards program. I liked this hotel and will return

Room Tip: Stay above the 7th floor and ask for a view of Century Blvd so you can see 3 of the worlds 6 tallest...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here twice for a short business trip and both times I was very happy with the service I received. Big, comfotrable bed with many pillows. Good facilities and well equipped room. Very clean. Breakfast has a lots of different options to choose from - asian and western. Staff is helpful and discreet. Only downside is that there are not many places to eat near hotel, however it only takes 10 minutes to get into central part of Shanghai. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good corporate hotel, good service, nice and clean.
I think there isnt much to pick on.

The only problem is the pillow are just tooooo soft for neck support.
After 2 nights I could no longer bear it and then to realise that they have a pillow menu!
(I should voice out earlier....)
There are many different varierty of pillow to choose from and its free of charge.

So if the pillow do not suit you. (which is really too soft - my colleague suffer a neck ache too)
Get the pillow menu and order one which is right for you.

Room Tip: request a room away from the lift
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Shanghai Pudong? Share your experiences!