“Perfect location with great views from some rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oriental Riverside Hotel

Save Saved
You added Oriental Riverside Hotel to your Saves list
Oriental Riverside Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.2727 Riverside Avenue, Pudong, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #143 of 3,926 Hotels in Shanghai
Scotland
“Perfect location with great views from some rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was a bit worried having booked two Bund view rooms and reading recent reviews but I guess I was one of the fortunate ones as I had a great room after checking in at 01:00 following our flight. I had two queen beds instead of one king but as I was alone in my room, it wasn't a problem. Room 427 had a fantastic view of the Bund and I found the hotel to be quiet which was more than can be said for some colleagues also at a conference who stayed at hotels closer to the new conference centre and were disturbed by car horns all night.

Anyway, the room was fine and the hotel was clean. The bathroom was great although I have no idea why they turned the shower head to the wall each night! The sweets left in the evening were pretty hideous though :) Other reviews have mentioned the hard beds and whilst they were a bit hard, I didn't find them uncomfortable. Internet access was reliable and pretty fast but only wired in the rooms (ethernet cable provided). Whilst we were there it was unseasonably hot (42 degrees) and we heard that power consumption was an issue which could explain why they turned my aircon temperature up every day but it didn't cause an issue as I just turned it down again to keep the room cool. There was a notice stating that the hotel was undergoing renovations, but I never noticed anything myself although I didn't try and use the gym or pool.

We checked in at 01:00 without any problem and checked out at 04:00. Check-out took a bit longer but we had two trainee's doing this for us but it went smoothly with no unexpected charges. We did pre-book an airport taxi though which was waiting at 04:00 for us.

Talking of taxi's, it cost us about RMB220 from the airport late at night and our driver did get a little lost trying to find the entrance even though we gave him the address in Chinese.

The location was great. About 5 minutes walk past the Pearl TV tower (always crowded) to get to the Metro over the 'man-roundabout' which was awesome and always totally packed. The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel is literally outside the hotel entrance and is a way of getting across the Bund easily although it is a little expensive at 70RMB for the return -- it does have to be seen to be believed though -- we couldn't stop laughing every time we went through it!

Breakfast was good with a massive selection although red beans in tomato (baked beans) only appeared on one day. The chinese version of western sausages didn't work out too well and they constantly moved the tea each day so breakfast turned into a bit of a game of hide and seek to make a brew. Breakfast was a bit expensive though at around 200RMB (about £20 GBP)

All the staff were pleasant and very helpful and most of them had a basic grasp of English meaning we could communicate. The bar was never busy when we were there and prices for both the bar and the mini-bar and room service were reasonable considering this is a 4* hotel (much cheaper outside of course!)

All in all, it surpassed my expectations and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Even the working girls who stayed around the hotel entrance after dark (only two of them) were extremely polite and when you said that you didn't want a 'lady massage' or 'special massage', they didn't hassle unlike some of the chaps on opposite side of the river. Whilst smoking outside late at night they were happy to chat away.

For reference, we paid around £70 (GBP) for River View rooms in July via hotels.com. Others attending the conference with us paid well over £100 for rooms in hotels closer to the new conference centre. We preferred to stay close to the Bund for evening eating and drinking, but it did take us close to an hour to get from the hotel to the New conference centre via the Metro (cost of 40pence).

If you are heading to a busy conference at the New Conference Centre, think about getting a Day Pass for the Metro for 16RMB - it last 24 hours and means you don't have to queue for 30 minutes to get a ticket once the conference closes. Also, ensure you change at Longyang Road for the final stop on a separate line as it is quite a walk in 40 degree temperatures from Longyang Road!

Room Tip: I would suggest that rooms numbered up to around x33 would get a good River View without the confere...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Korean first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a great hotel located in the middle of all the action in the Pudong.

Within a minute or twos walking distance is the Pearl Tower, Tourist Tunnel and Superbrand mall.

Train is five minutes walk.

We had a Bund view and it was lovely.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Negatives and Positives of the place

NEGATIVES
Arrogant manager who thinks it it beneath his dignity to meet customers.
Place is probably used to conference delegates where the corporates are paying. Not for individual tourists.
I had booked 2 river view more expensive rooms way back in April requesting high floors and adjoining rooms. On reaching neither of the requests were entertained.
To my shock on the last evening of my stay, while taking a cruise on the river, I noticed from the boat that few of the rooms including mine had a large construction in front that blocked the river view.
On reaching the hotel I wanted to see the manager but was told manager will meet you in the morning. Next morning too the manager sent some young trainee to deal with us. The trainee and assistant manager on being shown the photo from our room windows ( room 345 and 376 ) agreed that they were not having a riverview and came up with the reason that the actual river view rooms are given on first come and demand basis. I trusted the hotel to automatically give me what I had paid for.
Manager refused to meet us as he was in a 'meeting'. In the evening again I tried at the time of check out, but was refused.
Finally after making a fuss, I was offered a discount of $15/day on the room charge while the actual difference from a non view was much more.
The point is I wanted river view room and management fully knowing that these rooms did not have a view cheated me.
I dont know how to demand a refund now that I am back home. (PHOTOS FROM MY ROOM WINDOW ATTACHED )
Breakfast is not included in most deals and is very expensive.

POSITIVES
Great location to walk to the Bund, river, 3 tall towers and metros.
Comfortable beds and good bathrooms
House keeping staff are excellent.

Room Tip: See the rooms before accepting. There are 'river' view rooms with no river to see due to som...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed for a conference (which was in the hotel). This is a pretty expensive hotel, but you get what you pay for - the bed is comfy, the room facilities are good (I appreciated being able to pipe the TV sound into the bathroom), the breakfast is excellent, and the gym and swimming pool are really great additions. Very satisfied customer!

Room Tip: Check in late for an upgrade to Bund View rooms. Not worth paying the extra for though!
Montevideo, Uruguay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I like this hotel and that is why i have returned once again. Location is very good, near everything in Pudong, and walking distance to the Metro station which takes you in no time to Puxi or other places. I like Pudong area s it is not crowded. This hotel does not have anything in particular, but it is clean, good service and location is very good. On thedownside, i would say that it is a bit overpriced.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Overall, very comfortable, and no big complaints. A few things:
-beautiful view of the bund. We were very happy with our room and view.
-for being attached to the major convention center, I was very disappointed in the Internet situation--no wifi offered, only wired Internet. The Conv. Center wifi is terrible, so really can't be relied upon in the hotel.
-Very clean, which was appreciated.
-our rate included breakfast, which was a fantastic buffet with some really great Chinese food. It's pretty pricey to pay for the buffet.
-when we checked in we were given keys to someone else's room. Luckily when we arrived they weren't in there..
-overpriced stay, overall, but was comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013
Guangzhou
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

avoid oriental riverside hotel to stay if your business is a way from location
very local hotel, seen very few foreigner but seems empty place, full of local people
rooms are old and smelly thanks to management final got a upgrade
must stay a way, there are many real five star hotel around, avoid it as long as u r not force to stay there

Room Tip: avoid it as much as u can lots of money for no service only view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Oriental Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!