“Nice modern rooms, exterior a bit dated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square

You added Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square to your Saves list
Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.123 Xizang South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200021, China (Formerly 商悦青年会大酒店) (Yu Garden)   |
Ranked #107 of 3,933 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice modern rooms, exterior a bit dated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

My first impression of this hotel was that it looked a bit dated. However, the rooms have been nicely renovated with modern touches; I liked it. The duvet was super comfortable and the mattress firm, like most other China hotels. The bedding was clean; no complaints there. I always had a good night's sleep.

The only thing preventing people in the room from seeing you in the shower are the blinds behind the big glass panel separating the room from the toilet. It's ok if you are staying alone or with people you don't mind accidentally seeing your "bits". Otherwise, keep those blinds tightly shut!

The odd thing about the minibar is that there was nothing in it. I'd have expected there to be at least a couple of bottles of water, but there wasn't. There were 2 (yes, TWO) teabags in the drawer. No instant coffee, creamer or even sugar. Bizarre. The teabags looked very lonely.

The buffet breakfast was average, not very much variety but enough for a business traveler who only wants a quick bite.

My one main gripe about this place is that you can only get wifi in the lobby. I couldn't get wifi from my bed, but I could if I stood behind my room door. Believe me, I felt a little ridiculous, but at least wifi was free.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Elmira, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

This hotel is located in the original YMCA of Shanghai, and the YMCA sign is still above the doors, which threw me off initially. It's nicely located across the road from the Music Theatre, and around the corner from Dashijie Metro stop.
The rooms were clean, but tiny. It was quiet in the hotel, which made it great for my 3 year old son. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and nice to my son, which doesn't always happens inn hotels.
I definately reccomend this hotel for families and travelers.

Room Tip: Dependiong on the size of your child, you may not need to get a roll away bed for your room. Our ro...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We had mixed feelings about this hotel. But I think one thing that was clear that for about $80/night, it was a great deal--right on the park adjoining People's Square. We strolled easily over to the Shanghai Museum, walked to the main part of the Bund in 15 minutes easily, and could walk to parts of the French Concession in 15-20 minutes. There was also a subway stop (line 8, I believe) mere steps from the front door.

Check-in started off a bit rocky, despite the beautiful old lobby, as we were kept waiting for a while and were not offered water or anything, which we could have really used after a long journey. However, my impression of the front desk staff improved when they gave us a fantastic recommendation for a soup dumpling place. And once we got to our room, we were pretty pleased with it. It was not huge (we didn't have the smallest room category either), but it was well laid out. The bathroom was spacious and had a huge rain shower and full bathtub. The toiletries were all nice as well. There was a big closet with bathrobes and slippers, as well as a safe. We also had a lovely view onto a park--we had chosen that view, despite being told it could be noisy from the street. We did not find it too noisy at all, but we are used to living in noisy city apartments. I don't normally choose rooms for views, but this one was very pleasant.

A couple issues: the lack of wi-fi in the rooms is absurd. We actually could get the lobby's wi-fi in our room pretty reliably until the last day, when the signal seemed to just disappear. But it is silly in this day and age not to have the rooms set up for wi-fi. The TV that doubled as a computer was not an adequate substitution.

Lastly, there were some crumbs on the coffee table when we arrived. I brushed them onto the floor and later noticed they were never vacuumed up during our two-night stay. This gave me pause.

However, the room was very comfortable overall, and the location just can't be beat. I would consider staying there again just for the location--we didn't see much else in that area for such a good price.

Room Tip: If you can handle a little street noise, the views onto the park are lovely.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Stayed in the Marvel Hotel couple of nights in October 2011 during a leisure trip to China with my wife. This was the best hotel we encountered on this trip.

First, perfect location for leisure traveller, just around a corner from a subway station, nearly all major highlights of Shanghai are within walking distance!

Second, the interior of the hotel. The hotel is old YMCA building which has been beautifully renovated. The decorations in the lobby are really impressive. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable although a bit on a small side.

Third, the price. For hotel this good, we paid less than USD 100 per night.

The reception staff could definitely speak better English, however, that applies to China in general, so this is nothing to blame this hotel for.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011 via mobile

it a small hotel in good place close to subway stop area of people square very strategic place and also good value compare the fee

• Stayed November 2011
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

This was my first stop on my first trip to China in September 2011. The hotel was fairly well advertised as good with good value in a good neighborhood in Shanghai. My impressions were similarly positive and I found the descriptions to be apt.

The location of this hotel is, well, good. Actually it is convenient, being less than one block of a metro stop that connects (via two transfers) to the international airport (PVG). It lies along a major urban collector and sits catty corner from People's Square in the popular tourist neighborhood. On foot the hotel is about a 20 minute meander through cozy alleys and side streets to the iconic Bund area. Along the way you can find various opportunities to eat in street cafes or indoor restaurants.

My experience with hotel service was also positive and I had no issues to speak of. The front desk staff were friendly and prompt with English good enough to cover the basics of travel. Over in the restaurant, solemn attendants appeared to speak no English which helped to turn a lost coupon into a slightly awkward breakfast. The food (I only ate there two times, both breakfast) was fine while on the mostly traditional-fare side compared to other hotels I visited. Breakfast was not included for me; I believe it was about $6 extra which seemed reasonable.

My 4th floor room was small but comfortable and stylish. Everything looked and felt clean and bright. I slept well on the queen bed; noise from the street below was minimal and well insulated. The bathroom was proportionately small but just fine for me at 6'3" - the inside wall consisted of the sleek glass shower wall and a resulting feeling of openness and space. My only complaint about this stay is there was no reliable wireless connection in the room. The room TV doubled for web access, though through a clunky interface and with similarly inconsistent success.

I recommend the particular room I stayed in if you are a single traveler; for pairs you should look into a larger room. This hotel is near the Bund but does not afford dramatic views of that iconic skyline - for that you should check the myriad more expensive options that run along the river. For my business visit side-jaunt this was a very clean and modern option in a beautiful old building. I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Marvel Hotel as the location is convenient next to the metro and walking distance to most of the tourist attraction. You can also find many eatery, convenience stores and bakeries behind and next to the hotel. The room is a bit small but very comfortable and toilet is clean and well designed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square? Share your experiences!