“My son's favourite hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Astor House Hotel

You added Astor House Hotel to your Saves list
Astor House Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.15 Huangpu Road, Hongkou District, Shanghai 200080, China (The North Bund)   |
Ranked #80 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Brussels, Belgium
“My son's favourite hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for three nights in August 2013. We (family of four with two teenage kids) had two rooms opposite one another. The rooms were great. Lots of space. My son says that they were the most comfortable beds he has ever been in. Breakfast was also very good. We loved China but let's say breakfast was always a challenge, with this hotel being the exception. There was a great range of food in the buffet and our kids appreciated the familiarity for once. Wifi was only in the reception. Hotel location is fine. Just a 5 minute walk to the Bund with a great view on the bridge. The bar at the reception was a tad expensive so decided against taking anything. Unlike in american hotels the doormen don't immediately surround you but that's a good thing. It is not a top notch luxury hotel but then again we were not paying luxury prices. The staff in the reception are fine. Good efficient laundry and not too expensive. We would go back in an instant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I chose to stay at the Astor House after reading about its history. This was my first visit to Shanghai, so I'm glad that I chose to stay at this hotel. I enjoyed walking through the halls reading about famous people who stayed there and historical events. My room was charming and very clean. I especially liked the old bar and sitting room. This hotel is just a few minutes walking distance from the Bund and even a Starbucks if you want one. One evening I was able to walk to the famous Jazz Bar at the Peace Hotel in about 10 minutes. Staying at the Astor House gives you more of a flavor of old Shanghai than staying at chain hotel and is reasonably priced. The staff's English was good enough for me. You have to pay a 500 yuan cash deposit when checking in, which was kind of surprising, but it was returned the next day.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Whitby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A classic hotel with an pre-war atmosphere of old Shanghai. The rooms were furnished in a traditional style with a writing desk and a sofa, plus an overhead fan. Easy to imagine being back in the 1920s. The hotel has been recently renovated and some of the rooms are still a work in progress. There is a fascinating corridor with marvellous old photographs of the hotel and old Shanghai. The main lobby is large but under furnished and does not do the rest of the hotel justice. Breakfast was served in the wonderfully decorated old ballroom and was very good with a wide choice.
The major downside was the service, which was erratic. There was no porters available when we arrived. Other staff ranged from the friendly, to the formal, to the downright rude.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
astorhousehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Astor House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear guest,Thanks for your affirmation and encouragement.Stay in Astor House Hotel,you can feel the elegant of the old building,you can enjoy immediate access to the world famous Garden Bridge,Huangpu River,the Bund and the Nanjing Road——all the essence of exactly are historic Shanghai.We will also enhance the training of our employees as well as the service contents, provide you a more comfortable living surroundings and best services. Thank you again for your sincere advice and reminding, looking forward to serving you next time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was clearly a glorious hotel in days gone by. It is really interesting with amazing history but the staff leave a bit to be desired - they do not do anything wrong but are just not top notch. I am currently staying at the hotel for a total of 5 nights and have booked three rooms for my partner and I and my family members. We have been to Richards bar and the cafe in the lobby - both are outrageously expensive for what you receive. Breakfasts are ok but often a bit cold. It is worth staying here for the history and it is well worth a walk around the hotel to see the rooms where some seriously interesting people have stayed. You have to discover all this for yourself though as no one mentions it. If you are considering staying here, read up on it first and you will see how important this hotel in the history of Shanghai. I would stay here again. It is a good location and I love the history.

Room Tip: Executive room is supported by an executive lounge.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Rooftops
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I had a good, not great, time at The Astor House. The greeting at the door was pleasant enough but nobody lifted a finger to help us with our luggage as we disembarked from our taxi. As we went through a 'repairs-in-progress' lobby we had to take the scenic routs around the cordoned off area to the reception. Checking in was cold but polite. No bellhops were around to offer assistance to our room....oh well.

Room was clean and comfortable. Room amenities and toiletries were more than adequate. Cleaning crew were both polite and efficient. Breakfast spread was good, not great, but was a mite tiring after the 2nd day as it was the same fare for the duration of our stay (5 days). The waiters and waitresses didn't seem like they were enjoying their stations.
Location was great! Short distance to the Bund and the Nanjing Street area.
The historic value of this hotel and it's location lured us but besides that it has nothing else to offer. Service is almost amiss and attitude needs some tweaking.

We did enjoy our stay at the Astor however, we wouldn't return as one is spoilt for choice in Shanghai.

Incident report:- our room air-conditioning wasn't working and I called a couple of times only to be given some excuse. Finally came down to the reception and the receptionist had the gall to tell me that due to the impending typhoon the temperature change and winds has affected the air-conditioning. I stood there flabbergasted for a second and simply told her that I wanted to check out and get a full refund of my 5 nights stay. She said I wouldn't be able to get a refund. I then asked her to please call her supervisor or manager. She was then told to tell me that the necessary repairs to the air-conditioning system is being looked at. I have her name and photo, but I think it's not entirely her fault as she must have been following orders, so am not gonna post it.
Anyway, after a day's outing we arrive back after dinner to a fully serviced air-conditioned room. Great stuff!

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get the Executive rooms or Suites.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at many hotels in China, most of them quite decent. We were booked here for a conference/tour for a short one night stay with the group. After reading about the history of this hotel, I was looking forward to the experience. We arrived very late after a long taxi ride from the airport and were greeted by helpful clerks at the reception. Got into our room on the 3rd floor in no time. Yes, the décor of the hotel is old but very unique. Our room was at the one end of the hallway, very private and quiet. Big bathroom. Got up early the next morning and took a little walk to the famous bridge. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choices in the beautiful dining room. All in all, we had a good, short stay at this unique hotel right across from the Russian Embassy.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
astorhousehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Astor House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest,Thanks for your affirmation and encouragement.Stay in Astor House Hotel,you can feel the elegant of the old building,you can enjoy immediate access to the world famous Garden Bridge,Huangpu River,the Bund and the Nanjing Road——all the essence of exactly are historic Shanghai.We will continue to work hard and hope to see you again!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very nice hotel with low room rates for Shanghai. The hotel is very historic, with plaques on many of the rooms stating what famous person stayed there and what year. Many interesting pictures of "old Shanghai" on the hallway walls as well. The room was big enough, clean, with a good bathroom and toiletries. It is very close to the Bund, and the main shopping streets. If you are looking for a fancy upscale hotel, you won't like this hotel. If you are looking for a "solid", good hotel with character then you will like it here. The dining area was small and the food was expensive. There are many coffee shops within a few blocks of the hotel. The front desk staff tried to be helpful with suggestions and directions, but they were not that knowledgable, but they tried. A good choice for Shanghai.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your feedback to us and I am pleased that overall you liked our hotel.The Astor House Hotel has more than 160 years history. It is the very first western hotel property all over China. The transportation is very convenience. We really appreciate your positive comments on the hotel.We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Been to Astor House Hotel? Share your experiences!