“Hassle-free Oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai

You added Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.20 Nanjing East Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off Room Rates
Ranked #2 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 860 Reviews
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Hassle-free Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Love this hotel, its history, its aura. Walk in and you feel transported in time and place.
I'd never stay anywhere else in Shanghai, it's just so perfect; location- just walk straight out onto the Bund - service- smiling, fast, friendly and uncomplicated - and great food. Last day was tired and took a takeaway form Victor's and just chilled in the room.
Had a fab jetlag killer massage, can just recommend a treatment, sheer bliss and excellent therapists.
In all, nothing else to wish for.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Gunnel B,

I would to express our sincere appreciation for you choosing to come and stay with us during your time in Shanghai. We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience and I can assure you that we will not waste this opportunity to thank our team for their service to you.

I would also like to thank you for taking your time to share this wonderful feedback with the travelling public and we are truly hoping to see you back once again so we can show you our warm and engaging hospitality.

Kindest regards,

George Wee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel is in a fantastic location right across the road from the Bund and 5 minutes walk from the pedestrian shopping street on Nanjing Road. We stayed here as part of our tour of China and for some reason the hotel needed the tour guide to tell them on Thursday what meals we wanted for the tour final dinner on Monday. There were only 22 of us so why do they need so much notice?
I joined the Fairmont Presidents club previously so we qualified for free WiFi in our room. We also got a room on floor 5 whilst the rest of our group were on floor 1?
The room was big with king bed desk and couch. The bathroom had a claw foot bath and separate shower, two washbasins and toilet. The glass door on the toilet was a bit unusual as was the waterproof remote for the TV above the bath. It had a good size walk in wardrobe with safe. We had a very comfortable bed with what I think was a silk duvet. It was warm and very light weight. The air con worked well and we left it running overnight to filter out the street noise which wasn't too bad anyway.
The room was serviced twice a day but no chocolates left on pillow. The maid called one night at 21.15 to do the turndown but we were getting ready for bed as we had an early start next day. Rooms higher up will be quieter and the road on North side of hotel has less traffic. Large fluffy towels, bowl of fruit and an illy coffee machine were provided. They were a bit mean with the coffee sachets but we asked at the front desk and someone arrived in less than 5 minutes with some more.
We had a set menu meal in the Dragon Phoenix restaurant and it wasn’t great but it has a good view of the Bund after dark. The breakfast buffet had a good choice of fruit and yoghurts, pastries and cereals. The egg station is good but the bacon (incinerated) and sausages (almost raw) are to be avoided. I only saw hash browns one morning which I like to soak up the egg. Orange juice was nice. The coffee was good but sometimes on cool side.
Our tour final dinner was again a set menu chosen in advance. I had pumpkin soup and a steak both of which were good. We asked our Chinese tour guide to get our steaks well done and they were. Some of the others complained of a pool of blood under the meat.
The Terrace on 9th floor has good views especially after dark and you don’t need to buy anything if you are resident in the hotel.
This is a nice hotel and great location and I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear john117,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with us and for also taking the time to share your experience with the travelling public.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team to both thank them for their service to you and to also zero in on the opportunities that you have shared where we could have perhaps showed more care and concern for your needs.

We certainly hope that there will be a return visit for you and should that opportunity arise I would like to invite you to contact me at George.wee@fairmont.com so that I can ensure that we are ready for you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay! The staff was attentive and responded quickly to requests. This is an older hotel that reminded me of a hotel in NYC. The rooms are huge with plenty of space to spread out. The temperature in the room tended to warm up during the night no matter what the thermostat was set to. We had it as low as it could go and we still woke up hot. We had an outrageously long walk from the elevator and the view was of a brick wall with windows. Since I didn't go all the way to Shanghai to see the view from my hotel room, I didn't mind the lack of a view. The breakfast room had a great view of the river and the food was pretty good.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the elevator or put on your walking shoes!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Ineedavacystat,

On behalf of the entire time here I would like to extend my most sincere appreciation for you coming to visit us during your time in Shanghai.

I am delighted to read that our staff was very attentive to your needs during your stay. However I must apologize that your room felt a bit warm while you were trying to sleep. This is very concerning to me as a sounds night sleep is the most critical experience we offer. I can assure you that I will have our engineering team pay close attention to our systems not to allow this to happen for future guests.

I hope that you can alert me to your next visit at George.wee@fairmont.com so that I can greet you and ensure that everything is perfect for your stay.

Chesterfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This historic building is stunning with comfortable beds and spacious rooms. We stayed in a fairmont gold room which included complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and early evening cocktails. Staying in a gold room is the only way to go- would have loved to upgrade to one of the 9 nations suites, but with only two of us it would have been too much space. All staff we encountered knew us by name, we're super friendly and spoke excellent English. Will stay here again and actively seek out other Fairmont properties when traveling.

Room Tip: Choose a Fairmont Gold room - checkin is on the 9th floor.
Dear Terri G,

We are absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us during time in Shanghai. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your feedback for our future guests to read.

I will certainly take the time to share your wonderful feedback with our entire team especially our Fairmont Gold staff to thank them for their warm and engaging service to you.

We hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back.

Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont Peace Hotel in Shanghai the last 4 nights of a 2-week business trip to 5 different cities in China and it was a wonderful way to finish the trip and the nicest hotel, by far, that I stayed in. My room was beautiful, with a stunning bathroom, separate walk-in closet, nice desk, couch, plus a very comfortable king-size bed. The room was spotlessly clean. I had breakfast in the Dragon Phoenix every morning and it offered excellent choices. I had dinner there one night and room service twice and it also was very good. The staff at the hotel were amazing - the service was perfect. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear moorussell,

Kindest regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Staying at the Peace Hotel was dream come true for me. I have admired its history and style for some years.

While we were I encountered two of your staff members who were wonderful, both work in Café Victor. Cindy and Sarah always had smiles on their faces and welcomed us each day. Their friendly manor made us feel welcome and really did create a sense of home.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Robin S,

We would like to thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for your time in Shanghai. We are absolutely delighted that you had a memorable stay and enjoyed this iconic hotel that we are so lucky to be looking after.

Also what a delight to be able to recognize both Sarah and Cindy from our Victors Café team. They are outstanding members of our team and we always feel our guests are in great hands with them. We will make them feel special for their service to you.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here earlier this month (May 2014) for 4 nights. The public places in this hotel are truly amazing and it's worth just popping into the bar for a drink to enjoy the experience and marvel at the architecture.

Our bedroom was spacious and very well appointed, with top quality furnishings and accessories throughout.

My partner had the unfortunate experience of needing hospital treatment and the hotel staff could not have been more calm, helpful, kind and courteous in assisting us with information, help and checking that everything was alright afterwards.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again the next time we visit Shanghai.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor and towards the back of the hotel. The rooms facing away from the street...
Dear Mags F,

We are absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us during time in Shanghai. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience with the travelling public.

I am so happy to see that our staff were there for you and your partner in a time of need and were able to show the care and concern to make you both feel as comfortable and safe as possible. This is what it is all about for us.

George Wee

Been to Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!