“2 nights” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Central Hotel Shanghai

You added Central Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Central Hotel Shanghai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.555 Jiujiang Road, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Ranked #40 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Oxford
“2 nights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Having stayed in Shanghai many times at the same hotel I decided to have a change,I booked this hotel through the BA website having read the TripAdvisor reviews. I cannot be more complementary to the entire hotel staff and service from check in to check out I cannot fault anything. I was there on business and every supplier I saw know of this hotel and there was no problem in parking to collect me or drop me back to the hotel.
I will defiantly be staying here in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments of our hotel. We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience at Central Hotel Shanghai. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The hotel is way above my expectation! The hotel staff is friendly, the location is just minutes away from Nanjing East Road. However, the spa center masseur service is way below my expectation and it's costly as well.

I will definitely return to this hotel for stay in future and recommend to my friends whomever is traveling to Shanghai.

Room Tip: lower floor WIFI signal is stronger if you want to use the Wifi badly.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Central Hotel Shanghai. It is so encouraging to receive positive comments on our location and service. We appreciate that you will recommend our hotel to all your friends. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was ranked quite high on the Trip Advisor ranking system for the price point I was looking for. I travelled to Shanghai in early December 2013 and stayed 3 nights in this hotel. My conclusion is I should have chosen another hotel to stay in.

Here are my reasons :-

1. It is very noisy. The sounds of wind blowing is a nightmare. That is a first for me. The wind whistles non stop at night. It is like someone blowing a whistle in your room every few minutes.

Further, the sound of activities (people, music, traffic, car horns) from Nanjing Road adjacent to the hotel is very loud during very early in the morning and at night when I was in the room. So, I can't sleep late because of the noise from the busy street and the wind whistles throughout the night when the street quiets down.

My stay was a short one and that is why I did not want to switch hotels but I will not want to stay in this hotel because of the noise.

My room was on a higher floor as I requested for one because I read about guests comments about the noisy street from Trip Advisor. It did not help. The street noise was there and taking the cake is the constant wind whistling at night. It was unbearable. I believe it is a structural issue about the sealing of the windows etc. Yes, I closed the windows tightly.

2. The hotel is very money minded about petty things. It is like working for a very money minded boss. You know how it is like. When I checked in, I was reminded two times that if I lost the room card, a hefty penalty would be imposed. That is a very bad impression it is giving already. I don't remember hotels ever telling me they charge for lost room cards.

I immediately knew then this hotel would be the ones very money minded. Expect it to check every items in the room and charge exorbitant amount if lost or damaged. Compare with hotels which just let me check out without too bother about checking in detail items in the room.

True enough, when I checked out, they said they needed to thoroughly check the hotel and they could not locate every thing in the room. It took them 20 minutes or so before I was cleared to check out.

The hotel staff is trying hard to do a good job but it is the hotel management policy which ties their hands.

Money minded means expect so so affair in the hotel breakfast buffet. Do not bother to pay for it.

Conclusion :

The hotel is well known. The building can be seem from far away. Rooms are clean. Working distance to subway. Staff are good. Near many popular places.

We do pay for these as the price of the rooms have factored into all these conveniences.

I have friends who have recommended other hotels quite similar to Central hotel in terms of price point and conveniences but do not have the complaints I mentioned.

I will definitely try these other hotels (which are ranked similarly high in Trip Advisor too which I could have picked this time but didn't) because I need a good night sleep which I can't get here, and the money minded pettiness, there are other hotels not like this and I do not have to tolerate this.

Room Tip: Don't choose the lower floors because the street noise is very bad. But on a high floor I staye...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We were very concerned to learn of your experience. We will investigate your feedback thoroughly and take action. Please do accept our apologies for any shortfalls you may have experienced during this visit and we hope we will be given an opportunity to change your impression.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The location was the only factor i rate the hotel good. i felt the service of the front desk officers looks sad and unfriendly.They won't look directly at the guest when they will talking to me.Most likely they are too tired or busy over the holiday season of December. The buffet breakfast serve the same food everyday during my three nights stay.The cafe has also very few waitress to serve the guest.The bell boy outside the entrance will slightly better in service.They smile & greeted us when we left the hotel.However they will not very pro active at helping us to hail a taxi when it was raining on one of the day during my stay. I have to stand under the rain to get a taxi myself while they just stood under the shelter & stare at me.I have been to other hotel and most of the bell boys are really the helpful lot with their guests.The hotel is very near to shopping malls and eatery which i think is the only factor if i will to return the next time otherwise i won't chose this hotel again because of the lack of their customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at Central Hotel Shanghai and taking the time to share your feedback. We understand your disappointment and we sincerely apologize for our service.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention and we will take action to improve our service. We hope we will be given an opportunity to change your impression.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My family arrived late at Shanghai and we were truly glad that the check in was a breeze. In less than 10 minutes, we were given the room keys and we were glad that the triple beds were already done up properly for us to rest our tired bodies. The rooms did not have any musky smell and the toiletries were great.We stayed on the 16th floor and I remembered I was woken up by some noise on one of the days. It was then I realised that there was a marathon going on. However, I guess I was pleasantly surprised by the scene I saw from where I stayed and I should say, I was glad to be given a chance to watch and appreciate a different side of Shanghai. My boys liked the hotel so much that they kept asking to go back to the Hotel instead. On the last day, we got the hotel to arrange for two taxis for us and the trip cost us $195 RMB each to Pudong Airport.(there was a slight jam but it didnt take long to clear). We rounded up the amount to 200RMB instead as we felt that the drivers are nice people and they have gone beyond their call of duty to help us with our luggages. It is a small amount to pay for people with such big hearts.
Needless to say, the location is fantastic and we could walk to the bund too.
We will be back again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your great review of Central Hotel Shanghai. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I booked online and received a good rate for a centrally located hotel . What a fantastic hotel! Booking on other people's reviews is never easy because I have found the standards differ so much. This hotel can be highly recommended, we got a great room. Very well appointed with good quality toiletries, good quality linen and towels, newspaper in the morning, etc etc. Staff at the front (bellhop, etc) very helpful, etc. the location could not be more perfect. We did not use the hotel for anything else other than to sleep at, so cannot comment on restaurants, etc. we had a room that was perpendicular to Nanjing Street and whilst there was music, etc, it dies down at 10pm. Given what we paid and what the experience was, this hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your great review of Central Hotel Shanghai. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our room facilities, location as well as the service. We look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Hotel been renovated a year or so ago, everything still look new. Friendly staff and there's always a bellhop to call for the lift before we pressed for one.

As my room was facing the Nanjing pedestrain street and the performance stage, it could be quite noisy. If you wish to rest early, request for a room not facing this direction.

• Stayed November 2013
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Central Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!