“Quality Hotel, Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai to your Saves list
The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.889 Dongfang Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai 200122, China (Formerly The St. Regis Shanghai) (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #64 of 3,837 hotels in Shanghai
Cheltenham
“Quality Hotel, Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was looking for a 5 star hotel in PuDong for one night with my wife and the usual place we stay in was full. The Hongta location is few minutes walk further from the river but seemed excellent value. The room we had was large and comfortable with plump bed and beautiful bathroom. The rooms all have WIFI which is rare in China. The breakfast was excellent with bread and butter pudding available :) The staff were strikingly friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the Italian restaurant on the top floor which was top quality although a little expensive. They had a good selection of wines available by the glass !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at the Hongta Hotel. Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

Thank you again for your kindness and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 4, 2013

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel location is good in Pudong, about 15-20min walk to the subway and 15min (CNY22)taxi ride to the Maglev station. The area have pretty many restaurants and some shopping as well as a street full of massage places (foot massage etc)
The rooms are old but ours where newly refurbished and we liked it. Very nice bathroom with a nice bathtub and good water pressure.
Nice large towels and beautiful rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Conclusion: Value for money because the hotel's price point is lower than other level 4 shanghai properties, but there is a reason for it. the location is odd and hardware is old. However software (service) is still good and some parts of the hotel still retain that St. Regis feel. So a mixed bag. i would give it four circles, but given the large selection of hotel choices in Shanghai, I would give it three, meaning I won't probably return.

This stay: 2 nights. Upgraded to the one bedroom suite, with seperate living room and bedroom (but one bathroom). Usually I stay at Puxi, but this time most of my businesses meetings were in Pudong, so I looked at Hongta vs. Sheraton, and picked this Hongta. Actually have been meaning to try this hotel, the old St. Regis, because i wondered how the transition into Luxury Collection would work out, and also because this hotel gets lots of mixed reviews. Some love it but some think it's very low quality for Level 4.

Pros: Still has the St. Regis service and little details. And the atmosphere is not bad (the hallways especially).

Considerations: (i) location. Pudong is less desirable to stay than Puxi, but nothing they can do about that, but the location isn't in the "hot" part of Pudong. It's a bit far from everything. but then it's not really near Century Park (like Kerry Center) to be a park-atmosphere hotel) (ii) some designs like the lobby are too old school style and I was not impressed.

No comment: didn't try the food nor the lounge nor the swimming pool / fitness center

About me: East asian male, based in Hong Kong, travels for business and pleasure 100-150 nights a year (most Asia), SPG platinum 75

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Room Tip: high floor toward Century Park is probably the best view and layout
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review

Here I would like to share with you that we're expecting a full scale renovation of the hotel in the very near future,Please do drop me an email at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com so that I can get more details that what we still improve on. Your gracious help will assist us to provide better accommodation experiences to all guests. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Last but not least, I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have just returned from another stay at the Hongta and have to rave about the service and the staff. From the doormen, to the bell staff, to the check-in team and the crew in Danieli's and the Executive Lounge they are all fabulous - they are attentive and gracious while still being obtrusive. Kiki deserves a special mention as she consistently went above and beyond and worked hard to recover my lost iPhone power cable on my last morning before I had to leave at 8.30am.
Rooms are reasonably spacious, clean, comfortable and always well serviced.
The Executive Lounge is a quiet place to work during the day and then livens up nicely for the happy hour. My only gripe is that I used to really enjoy breakfast up there but they have moved it to Danieli's which is a tad formal for the mornings.
Location is OK but not great, however, the taxi service is always quick and can get you to where you want to go.
I will definitely be back.....it provides a homely oasis in the big, bustling city.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights from 20-24 June 2013.The hotel is 10 mins by walking from the nearest Shanghai Metro called Century Avenue.

The hotel is a former St Regis Hotel and staffs are helpful and willing to assist. Stayed in the executive deluxe room. It's a well appointed room which you won't be disappointed. The lounge on the 40 floor is great. Staff are helpful and the spread is ok for breakfast and entrees. Nothing to be excited about! They should upfront inform the guest what their entitlement when staying in a club room.

A reasonable 5 star establishment

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are almost satisefied with your stay at the Hongta Hotel. Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments.
My sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. We have addressed the issue to our front office staffs to avoid this from ever happening again!

General Manage
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Hongta Hotel in Shanghai is a very good standard 4 star hotel to my eyes. HOWEVER, when you add in the staff at this hotel, they don't make ratings high enough. I'm serious here. I have wheeled around the world all of my life and I don't think I have EVER come across staff that are so professional, so thoughtful and so damn nice!

I asked for and I got a King Executive. My status with Starwood would have gotten me an upgraded room, but they only have wheelchair accessible rooms at the entry level, so you're not going to get an upgraded room. However, they DID transfer the upgraded perks to the room I could get around in. A butler, access to the executive lounge for my meetings etc etc. The rooms are very comfortable, so I had no complaint about the upgrade issue, but it is something that Starwood and perhaps this hotel might like to consider. Access, as I keep bleating on about, is not just for wheelchair users - we are just the front line troops. No, access is for everyone as they get older, push a stroller, have a leg cast from that skiing incident and so hotels such as ANYTHING within the Luxury Collection and/or Starwood Group should consider offering a slightly wider bathroom door and a roll in shower in a greater variety of rooms. OK, back to the good stuff.
It was my birthday while I was staying at The Hongta. They bought me cake (with "Happy Birthday Kevin!" iced on it (no, I'm not joking!" and a dozen red roses. And then I asked the concierge/butler for a wheelable distance Chinese restaurant recommendation and he made reservations at a well known venue just down the street.

Now, hear this. After making the reservation the staff member went over to the restaurant to make double sure it WAS accessible, to discover that the front was a large flight of stairs. So, he made arrangements with the restaurant and the security of the building that houses the restaurant to bring me around the back, through the building, over the lobby, into another elevator and thus through a rear door into the restaurant.

And here's the best bit. HE DID ALL OF THIS IN THE HOUR BEFORE MY RESERVATION TIME AND WAITED FOR ME TO ARRIVE, SO HE COULD ESCORT ME.

My lady and I were moved to a little tear for this, to be honest. But it is just typical, I discovered during my stay, of how very thoughtful, how thorough and how completely professional the staff at The Hongta Hotel in Shanghai are.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this month's "Wheely, Wheely Good Award" goes to the entire staff at the Hongta Hotel in Shanghai. Thank you for making my stay so wonderful, for helping plan my meetings, for letting me camp in the executive lounge for those meetings all day and for taking care of me throughout. Thank you for the cake and the flowers and for being so nice to my lady.

And thank you to the staff member that took all that time and trouble to make sure I had a lovely birthday dinner. At the time of writing this, his name is in my notebook, which is currently on a train somewhere between Dalian and Shenyang, with a friend of mine. As soon as I retrieve it, I will write to Hongta and to Starwood to make sure they know just how good this guy is.

Now, about those dang bathrooms!

Room Tip: Do not bring a wheelchair wider than 28 inches, it won't fit into the shower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Mr.Fetterplace,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad to learn that you're pleased with your recent stay. Guests' satisfaction is the supreme hornor to us.Your compliments is definately a big source of motivation to the entire team.

Here I would like to share with you that we're expecting a full scale phase by phase renovation of the hotel in the very near future and our rooms are definitely on the list.I would definately pass on your sugguestion on the personal touches to our management team so that we could benefit from it and make a perfect plan. I do hope that we can bring a new brand 5 star hotel experience to you after the project is completed.

Thank you again for your comment. We also look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

My best regards,
Liu Zong

Been to The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai? Share your experiences!