“A Good Option on the Pudong Side” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai to your Saves list
The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.889 Dongfang Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai 200122, China (Formerly The St. Regis Shanghai) (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #64 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“A Good Option on the Pudong Side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I wanted to stay here when it was the St Regis and got the chance recently although now luxury collection. Rooms are good size and bathrooms nice. As a gold member was upgraded to a oriental suite which was superb. Staff were excellent, butlers spoke good English and were responsive. A very pleasant surprise was the Italian restaurant (Danieli’s) on the top floor. It had a great atmosphere and was nearly full on a Wednesday night. Not like a hotel restaurant at all. The chef was also great and sent me over a complimentary buffalo salad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. We are glad that you are satisfied with our hardware and services. Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Thank you again for your comment and recommendation. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Usa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip to shanghai. others have commented about the location and those are accurate - close to underground trains, lots of shops nearby, mall 10 mins walk towards the bund, etc.

lobby was great, but i found the front desk staff to be a bit impersonal - i arrived late around 9 pm and expected a warm greeting. i wasnt told about what the hotel had to offer - services, dining, amenities - something that i have seen at other hotels. it was like checking into a motel or i could have used a computer to checking even.

the room itself was good (asked for a change from the back of the hotel to the front looking over the street and was accommodated), bed was typical starwood quality so no complaints there. bathroom was good (although the speaker system didnt work properly) - toiletries were fine.

the hotel was very quiet even for a business hotel. late night at the lobby bar - i was almost to myself. breakfast was in the main lobby area - i didnt go there, but didnt seem as busy either.

tried the italian restaurant on the top floor. enjoyed the food - views were somewhat limited.

went to the concierge in the evening for a taxi - which pulled up promptly. but (i found this out later) the staff or concierge did not give me a card in mandarin that you essentially hand to taxi drivers for your way back. as a result, when i went to the bund for sightseeing late at night, i had to take the underground back because i was unable to communicate the hotel name/location to the driver. wiser from this experience, i asked for the card myself the next day. i would this to be included in the room key card folio or at least be asked about it during checkin.

so, all in all, it was a good stay, but not a great stay. the 'negative' aspects are not that much and would have given this hotel a 4.5 * if i could. i would stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and very pleased to know that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

We have been working very hard to ensure our services lives up to your expectation. I feel terriblely sorry for the indecency you've encountered at our front desk. We'll definately plan more training to our green hands to make sure that each one of our guests can enjoy the Luxury Collection experience.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Hongta became my home for 14 days when I travelled to Shanghai on business. From the moment I checked in till the moment I left nothing was too difficult. The staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to assist you. A few people have made mention of their lack of English, I found trying to speak some Mandarin went a long way and if in doubt, there was usually an English speaking person on reception the majority of the time.

As a lone female traveller the reception staff were always happy to write down, in Chinese, where I needed to get to, so when hailing me a taxi it got me to where I needed to go with minimum of fuss.

I was upgraded to one of the Executive floors (36) and appreciated the Executive Lounge on the 40th floor - very nice to unwind after a busy day at work and it was usually filled with other business people so conversation was never short. I ate breakfast there most days as it was a more relaxing start to the day than the restaurant in the lobby, which tended to be quite busy.

The hotel itself is very well presented, I had a beautiful room, one of the nicest I have ever stayed in while travelling for business. The butler service was a nice touch, having someone on call to help me for things such as organising laundry and getting me an adaptor when I left mine at work, was much appreciated.

Check out was easy and painless. I will definitely stay at the Hongta again - whether it be for business or pleasure. I didn’t get out around the hotel a lot but it has a convenience store nearby, most of the time when I went out it was off exploring, so I can’t comment on the shops etc around the hotel.

Thank you for making my stay in Shanghai memorable and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you can get an upgrade to an executive floor, well worth it!
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and leaving us with such detailed and cheering review. We are honored to be acknowledged that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our associates and they will definatedly be thrilled and motivated by your kind words.

Should your business or vacation bring you back to Shanghai, please do not hesitate to reach me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed this hotel for a week for a recent business trip to Shanghai. The hotel is located Pudong area which is generally quiet compare to the other side of the river. Anyway, the location is fine as it close to subway station, or you can easily get a taxi to a place that you would like to go nearby. There are a few restaurants and super market nearby hence you can easily get food or some groceries anytime.

Generally, for a hotel at this rate, i have to say Hongta is offering a good value for its' customer. The room is clean and staff are overall friendly. They greet you whenever they see you. The gym facilities are in good condition and it also have an indoor swimming pool.

The hotel is located slightly out of town, so it is quiet at night. But personally i find the bed is slightly "flat" as compare to other same class hotel. The mattress cover looks thin and you can typically feel the hardness of the bed.

I did encounter some unhappy experience during the breakfast time. The breakfast can be busy especially during peak hour. One day i have assigned to a seat but it was occupied by some other guest after i got the food back. Hence, i approached the waitress to assign me to another seat. But the waitres asked me to check around and to share table with other guest. I am fine with sharing with other guest but it just annoying for asking me to seek for a seat by myself. In my opinion, the service at the restaurant need a lot of improvement. They could served me a coffee without giving me a spoon, or i was seated without offering a drink and etc. This is some fundamental problem which happend during a short stay of one week in the same restaurant.

But overall, the hotel is still worth staying considering the location and the spacious room and also the good service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and leaving us with such detailed and wonderful review. We are honored to be acknowledged that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

Also, we feel terribly sorry that our service at breakfast failed you. I will personally see to this issue and make sure our people do the right thing to our guests.

Treviso, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I spent a week in the Hongta for business. The hotel is located right in the business district of Pudong and just 10 minutes by car away from the exhibition centre. The location is very good as it takes just 15 to 20 minutes and a ridiculous amount of money for taxi to join major shopping or restaurants areas on the other side of the river.
Service and cleaning were upto the expected level and a very fair value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write us this review. We are happy to know that you are satisfied with our location, cleaness and services. Your compliments are huge motivation to the entire team.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future again!

With Regards,
NE Vic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Hotel rooms are good. At least mine on 36 floor was. Really does not matter which way your room faces as all seem to look onto various other tall buildings. Spacious, good beds, bath, separate shower etc. Lacked the extra touches of a true 5 star like coffee maker, toiletries etc but acceptable.

Not sure of the advantages of the executive floor were as when I visited (twice) no one else present and no happy hour with freebies which is normal for SPG.

Others have raved about the butler service but as I never saw one and was not offered his/her services I cannot comment. Full turn down service appreciated.

Hotel restaurants are not the best (like most others!)- the Lobby floor 'all you can eat' buffet is very basic and as others have said not replenished often enough and the choice and quality of food could be better, but at 170 RMB its OK. . The Italian on top floor is OK but expensive and average quality but above average prices. In my opinion the breakfast was excellent and best meal available.

The advantages of being close to a Metro station fail to appeal to me when Taxis are so cheap in Shanghai, but overall location is good with local shops and large shopping centre within walking distance. 15 mins taxi to Exhibition centre so good for that. 20 mins to Bund,
Overall i would stay again as price is attractive but would search harder for better places to eat.

Fail to understand negative comments about staff as all I spoke to were extremely helpful and courteous

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your compliments. Especially for the extra suggestions, we'll definately take them into consideration for our upcoming renovation project.

I'm also glad to hear that you are satisefied with the breakfast at our Saint's Restaurant. The food quality improvement now shows on the top of the priority list of the hotel operation, and prices at the Italian restaurant have already been adjusted.

Once again, thank you for the valuable feedback and we look forward to having you back soon.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a good Pudong hotel but as with many hotels in China, the service slightly lets the place down.

Travelling on business, I stayed on the "ladies only" floor (28th floor). So why did I have male staff constantly ringing my door bell with a butler service? Bringing me extra (but not that great) toiletries, turn down service, laundry collection and return etc.

The rooms were a good size, the bathroom was fine and the breakfast was slightly below average for a luxury hotel. The pool on the fifth floor is nice and big. Check in and out was swift and efficient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to hear that you're satisefied with our facilities and the efficiency of our front desk staff. However, we still failed in some aspects to make it an exceptional stay for you. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your comments have been very helpful for us to improve our services. I'll definately see to these issues you mentioned in your review.

Once again, thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Liu Zong

Been to The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai? Share your experiences!