“Getting tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai to your Saves list
The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.889 Dongfang Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai 200122, China (Formerly The St. Regis Shanghai) (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #63 of 3,841 hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Getting tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been staying this hotel for over 50 times plus since 2004 and it used to call St Regis. It was once my favourite hotel and indeed a home away from home. I still remembered their first GM Charles Abbott. I was quite loyal to this hotel in the past

However it seems having been deteriorating all the way down since 2008.

All the old staff who were providing the 1st class service have gone except Gordon who is the chief concierge. Gordon is a top guy.They seems keen to use the interns who are lack of basic knowledge and expertise. The service level might not be as good as a 3-star hotel some young staff are even very rude to the guests. You can see they are trying to reduce the expense in every aspect but unfortunately at the cost of service level which was the main selling point to me in the past

Room needs renovation especially GYM.

I quite like the breakfast in the past but now I found it disgusting and very low quality. I can see they are trying to reduce the cost.

In a word, it would be a 4-star hotel now and I do not think it deserves a 5-star.

I travel to Shanghai a lot so now I am considering changing hotel now

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I think this used to be called the St Regis Shanghai. I've stayed here at a summer rate which is great (less than RMB 800 and including buffet breakfast). Further comments below:

Location - very convenient near the Century Avenue. I came here on leisure so it was good to be close to the metro system - PuDian Road station on the No. 6 Subway Line is 2 minutes walk away. If coming from airport, you can take the Maglev and switch to the metro system at Longyang road - whole journey is even faster than cab and cost only around RMB 60!

Rooms - Large, comfortable, well appointed rooms. Great closet size. The LCD TV is on the small size. Work desk is large and comes with comfy Herman Miller chair :) There are two couches, fresh fruit / flowers, complimentary bottled water, reasonable rates for local calls. Bed is comfy.

Bathroom - Good size, separate bath / shower, comes with a local line of shampoo/toiletries (so you may prefer to bring your own if this is an issue), only gripe is that the hair dryer is tiny and doesn't really work so happy taking an hour to dry your hair.

Service - Cleanliness is excellent in both the room, bathroom, and common areas. Service is prompt and efficient (comes with the St Regis "butler service"), although not very "smiley". I speak Chinese so can't attest to the standard of English spoken here. Free pressing of two pieces of clothings so great for business travelers and free shoe shine as well.

Breakfast - the included breakfast was on the simpler side but enough to fill you up with the usual spread - cereals, cold cuts, some hot dishes (veggies, salmon and macaroni), freshly made eggs to order, baked beans, dim sums, etc. Warning that they are not very good at replenishing so try to go early!!

All in all I would recommend this hotel as a great choice in Pudong, where most hotels tend to be overpriced. The room is a good size so families shouldnt have a problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review and recommanding us. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with our facilities and services. Guests' satisefaction is the supreme hornor to us. Please be assured that I will cascade your comments to the entire team.

Thank you for your comments on the breakfast replenishment. We will definately pay special attention to that and bring better dining experience to you for your next patronage.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I recently had a one night stay at Hongta, which used to be the St Regis Shanghai. It took 45 minutes from PVG Airport to reach the hotel at 730PM on a Sunday night with not much traffic. I'd imagine it'd take longer during rush hours. Location is not the hotel's strongest point. There's not really much in its surrounding area, so I can't really recommend it for first time tourists looking to be near the major tourist attractions.

As an SPG Platinum member I was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite, a one bedroom suite. The layout is rather bizarre - the wardrobe and bathroom are located in the living room side, not on the bedroom area. Decor and craftmanship of the room is typical Chinese 4-star quality. The welcome amenities are a box of chocolate and a fruit plate containing some not very good looking fruits. The mattress is wonderful with good quality sheets. The wifi works well, although the initial set-up is cumbersome. They use registered's guest birthday as password, but I couldn't connect using my birthday using the format required. One quick call solved the issue.

The butler service is quite nice, but I really don't understand the need of this service. Do you really want a stranger to open up your suitcase and unpack all of your belongings for you?

Breakfast offering is quite abysmal - both quality and quantity of offerings are underwhelming.

Overall, it's a good 4 star hotel, but don't expect much in terms of luxury ambience and five-star service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel.

As a Luxury Collection hotel, we wish to bring our guests indigenous destination experiences. We are proud to recommend our exceptional concierge service. Our Clefs D’Or Chief Concierge and his team stand ready to assist by providing expert local knowledge on the many aspects of our dynamic yet historical city, and can arrange a wide range of “Shanghai Explorations”, from trips to local markets to personalized special interest experiences with expert guides on such topics as architectural history, contemporary art, Chinese religions and much more.

Thank you for your review about the breakfast. We are currently adjusting our breakfast menu for a better experience of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Once again, thank you very much for your review. Should your travels bring you back to Shanghai please do contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Second time this year I stayed here and loved it - they even have a butler who brings you tea when you want it. They really understand business travellers.

Great rooms and good facilities - a beautiful hotel and I will be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future! Should you need anything for your next stay, please don’t hesitate to contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com

My best regards,
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed for 1 night, front desk and concierge very good, room service and FnB service staff very average and poor English, terrible service at breakfast oh sorry no service at breakfast. Overall it's a good value for money hotel although in desperate need of renovations...

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Silvio_Autuori, Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am glad that you are very satisfied with our front desk and concierge. Thank you as well for feeding back on the service and English level of the in-room service and breakfast. I will personally take care of this issue and make sure we are back on track with our standards. Concerning the renovation, let me share with you that a full scale phase by phase renovation has been planned and it should take place in the very near future.
We look forward to have the chance to host you again soon and show our improvements. Should there be anything I can do for your next visit to Shanghai, please drop me a mail at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

With Regards
Hotel Manager
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great location, great service, rooms are very well kept and the staff speaks good english. Overall - highly recommended. The reception area is big with a nice mezannine floor.
View from the room includes some of the tallest skyscrappers of shanghai.
The irish pub nearby is an added advantage.
Breakfast was good too !

Room Tip: make sure you have got the wi-fi right from the butler cause it disconnects quite often.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, Hotel Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear jk_blr,

Thank you for your very positive review. I am very pleased of receiving such a good comment. It is also a big source of motivation for the entire team to whom I have already transferred this message.

At the Hongta Hotel we are always working hard to ameliorate our service, should your travels bring you back to Shanghai, please don’t doubt to contact me at silvio.autuori@luxurycollection.com so I can personally show our improvements.

Until then, Best Regards,

Hotel Manager
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our stay was short, only one night as we were stopping in Shanghai between flights. We decided to try this hotel or no other reason than we wanted to try another property (we are traveling throughout China on Starwood points) .

When we arrived, we decided to upgrade to a club floor suite. With the two kids in tow having the extra room was a nice treat. I miss the days of me being platinum and getting some of these perks for free..l

What really impressed was the staff. Within minutes of entering the room, we had fresh fruit, tea and hot chocolate and flowers. Mere minutes later, the non feather bedding I had requested was on the bed. The list goes on and on...in fact, I reall don't think that we have ever had such great service...and definitely not for the dollars spent...

The staff in the lounge were wonderful to us and the kids (Jamie and Matthew missed them when we left!).

In the end, I guess the best compliment I can offer is that if our upcoming stay at the le Meridien is not at the same level, my wife has requested that we spend one more ( or two) nights before we head back to Canada.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Mjwarbeck,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. I am delighted to acknowledge that our clients enjoy their stay at The Hongta. Rest assured I will cascade your comments to the entire team.

Should your travels bring you back to Shanghai please contact me at silvio.autuori@luxurycollection.com. It will be a pleasure to host you again and provide you with an ameliorated experience.

Silvio Autuori

Been to The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai? Share your experiences!