“Needs a major upgrade” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai

You added Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.58 Maoming South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200020, China (Huaihai Road)   |
Ranked #48 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 544 Reviews
manila
“Needs a major upgrade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Hotel is located in French Concession. Lobby is nice, breakfast buffet is great. Room service is nice but expensive. But room needs a major renovation. Very old side tables which is not pleasing to the eyes. Water pressure is good. Views are ok. Housekeepers are very efficient. Elevators are x6. Bellboys and doormen not ver friendly but housekeepers and service personnel are.

• Stayed June 2014
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel(shanghai), your evaluation and advice are very important to our hotel. About what you have mentioned on the website, we will pay great attention to the problem, and we will try our best to offer the best service in the future. Thank you again for your valuable advice to our hotel. We do expect to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guangzhou
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Okura garden been there since I start visit Shanghai many years back
Excellent location beautiful property just need upgrade and fine touch
Very good location near metro and close to anywhere in Shanghai city center
Can be still the best in Shanghai

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel(shanghai), your evaluation and advice are very important to our hotel. We do hope that you can choose our hotel again, we will extend our sincere and warm welcome as always.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel would benefit from a gentle updating in some areas and perhaps a more determined effort in other areas.

My room was in better order than those of some of my colleagues.Breakfast was poor and the staff disinterested to attempt to improve the experience.

Dinner in the European restaurant on the top floor was excellent with an attentive staff. The bar on the top floor is a good spot for an hour or so.

Reason to go back? The top floor restaurant and bar and that's about all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Having some business to attend to at the nearby Qantas offices last Friday (16th May), I decided on a late lunch at The Rose Cafe of the Okura Garden Hotel. The main reason for my choice was that I have enjoyed the hospitality of the Okura chain in Japan and was looking forward to more of the same in Shanghai. Sadly, I was disappointed! The Garden Hotel may have the "Okura" cachet but it certainly doesn't even attempt to reach the heights of decor, taste and service of the original.
Decor. The Rose Cafe is a sad, wilted old flower indeed. With no windows at all, the famed garden could be illusory. The decor inside is simply dated and the place has all the elegant ambience of an overly large Chinese cafeteria!
Taste. I earnestly kept trying all the dishes looking for some but found very
little.
Service. What service? The young waitress was not only linguistically challenged, she could barely utter a word in English, but she seemed handicapped in the personality department as well, with a cold stone face covering any human emotions. The worst part of the service, however, was the elderly restaurant manager, who should have known much better. What hope for the young if their elders don't lead by example? Nothing wrong with her English but it became clear from her behaviour at the end that customers weren't people to her but mere walking wallets and when they've paid up they cease to matter. She wasn't overworked but when I left there wasn't a smile, a word, a wave from her. Nothing. I don't expect servility, that never, but good old fashioned service? Yes! In an authentic Japanese Okura one would have been graced with honest, friendly, efficient service, and no servility.
To add insult to injury, the meal wasn't cheap either. Appetiser, main course, side salad, fruit platter, and double espresso; all washed down with bottles of Perrier and a playful but still jejune German Riesling - $AUD 250. Ouch! That, madam, should have been worth a smile, no servility ... just a token of friendly service!
I did go to complain to the hotel's duty manager. After advising him to have a chat to the restaurant staff on how they could improve their service manner, I concluded by saying that I didn't really care whether he took my advice or not because I never intend setting foot in the "Okura" Garden Hotel ever again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel (shanghai). About what you have mentioned on the website, We are very sorry about what have happened, We will pay great attention to the problem, Also strengthen our training level to the staff of “ROSE CAFÉ”. We will try our best to improve our service in the future. We would like to extend our sincerest apology to you, Thank you again for your valuable advice to our hotel, We do expect to see you again.
Shenzhen, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I found this hotel to be old, the "superior room" had older furnishing and a pretty small bed. Compared to other hotels at its price range and location it felt like it wasn't keeping up. I see someone else said the gym was unacceptable, I never made it in since they wanted to charge me 50 RMB to exercise. I travel extensively in China for business this was the first time I ran into this situation. The mind set at the front desk when I brought this up is that this is normal, rather than the exception which it is.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel (shanghai). About what you have mentioned on the website, we will pay great attention to the problem, and we will try our best to offer the best service in the future. Thank you again for your valuable advice to our hotel. We do expect to see you again.
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Lovely hotel, opulent reception and lobby, matched well by the level of service and quality of room.
Location good, close to subway, rooms spacious , well decorated, good bed, and multifunction toilet with heated seat!!! We miss that!! Water is filtered and drinkable, which is a plus, and the shower was truly enjoyable.
Value for money was exceptional and we even walked round the gardens, beautiful!
We were not even charged for the lost hotel umbrella! All staff were very helpful esp concierge and bell staff!
We did not have the buffet bfast, it seemed quite pricey, so we can't comment on the quality of that.
We would definitely return and would recommend this to anyone and everyone!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at 1216, which does not overlook the garden, maybe the odd numbered rooms do?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel (shanghai), our hotel is always committed to offer the best accommodation, best cuisine and best service to our guest. Your compliment is the best reward of our hard work. We do hope you can choose our hotel again during your next visit to Shanghai.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel with its garden is an oasis in bustling Shanghai. As others have remarked it's a little dated, but I spent a comfortable 3 nights there at a reasonable price. The breakfast buffet is amongst the best I have experienced, and the Sky Lounge is a great place for an evening drink. I also had an excellent (but not cheap) dinner in the teppanyaki restaurant. Top marks for the service throughout.

One complaint - not confined to just this hotel - was the poorly fitting connecting door with the adjacent room, through which I could clearly hear everything going on next door. Why many hotels find it so difficult to adequately sound proof this door is a mystery to me. Luckily my neighbor was not a night owl.

Another issue is smoking. There's quite a lot of it going on here, my room had a faint stale smoke odor -not enough to really bother me - but I had to move seats in the Sky Bar to get away from a smoker. That's China I guess!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room without a connecting door!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 8, 2014

Been to Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!