“Skip breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai

Save Saved
You added Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.58 Maoming South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200020, China (Huaihai Road)   |
Ranked #60 of 3,847 Hotels in Shanghai
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Skip breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel would benefit from a gentle updating in some areas and perhaps a more determined effort in other areas.

My room was in better order than those of some of my colleagues.Breakfast was poor and the staff disinterested to attempt to improve the experience.

Dinner in the European restaurant on the top floor was excellent with an attentive staff. The bar on the top floor is a good spot for an hour or so.

Reason to go back? The top floor restaurant and bar and that's about all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel(shanghai), your evaluation and advice are very important to our hotel. We do hope that you can choose our hotel again, we will extend our sincere and warm welcome as always.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Having some business to attend to at the nearby Qantas offices last Friday (16th May), I decided on a late lunch at The Rose Cafe of the Okura Garden Hotel. The main reason for my choice was that I have enjoyed the hospitality of the Okura chain in Japan and was looking forward to more of the same in Shanghai. Sadly, I was disappointed! The Garden Hotel may have the "Okura" cachet but it certainly doesn't even attempt to reach the heights of decor, taste and service of the original.
Decor. The Rose Cafe is a sad, wilted old flower indeed. With no windows at all, the famed garden could be illusory. The decor inside is simply dated and the place has all the elegant ambience of an overly large Chinese cafeteria!
Taste. I earnestly kept trying all the dishes looking for some but found very
little.
Service. What service? The young waitress was not only linguistically challenged, she could barely utter a word in English, but she seemed handicapped in the personality department as well, with a cold stone face covering any human emotions. The worst part of the service, however, was the elderly restaurant manager, who should have known much better. What hope for the young if their elders don't lead by example? Nothing wrong with her English but it became clear from her behaviour at the end that customers weren't people to her but mere walking wallets and when they've paid up they cease to matter. She wasn't overworked but when I left there wasn't a smile, a word, a wave from her. Nothing. I don't expect servility, that never, but good old fashioned service? Yes! In an authentic Japanese Okura one would have been graced with honest, friendly, efficient service, and no servility.
To add insult to injury, the meal wasn't cheap either. Appetiser, main course, side salad, fruit platter, and double espresso; all washed down with bottles of Perrier and a playful but still jejune German Riesling - $AUD 250. Ouch! That, madam, should have been worth a smile, no servility ... just a token of friendly service!
I did go to complain to the hotel's duty manager. After advising him to have a chat to the restaurant staff on how they could improve their service manner, I concluded by saying that I didn't really care whether he took my advice or not because I never intend setting foot in the "Okura" Garden Hotel ever again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel (shanghai). About what you have mentioned on the website, We are very sorry about what have happened, We will pay great attention to the problem, Also strengthen our training level to the staff of “ROSE CAFÉ”. We will try our best to improve our service in the future. We would like to extend our sincerest apology to you, Thank you again for your valuable advice to our hotel, We do expect to see you again.
Shenzhen, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I found this hotel to be old, the "superior room" had older furnishing and a pretty small bed. Compared to other hotels at its price range and location it felt like it wasn't keeping up. I see someone else said the gym was unacceptable, I never made it in since they wanted to charge me 50 RMB to exercise. I travel extensively in China for business this was the first time I ran into this situation. The mind set at the front desk when I brought this up is that this is normal, rather than the exception which it is.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel (shanghai). About what you have mentioned on the website, we will pay great attention to the problem, and we will try our best to offer the best service in the future. Thank you again for your valuable advice to our hotel. We do expect to see you again.
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Lovely hotel, opulent reception and lobby, matched well by the level of service and quality of room.
Location good, close to subway, rooms spacious , well decorated, good bed, and multifunction toilet with heated seat!!! We miss that!! Water is filtered and drinkable, which is a plus, and the shower was truly enjoyable.
Value for money was exceptional and we even walked round the gardens, beautiful!
We were not even charged for the lost hotel umbrella! All staff were very helpful esp concierge and bell staff!
We did not have the buffet bfast, it seemed quite pricey, so we can't comment on the quality of that.
We would definitely return and would recommend this to anyone and everyone!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at 1216, which does not overlook the garden, maybe the odd numbered rooms do?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel (shanghai), our hotel is always committed to offer the best accommodation, best cuisine and best service to our guest. Your compliment is the best reward of our hard work. We do hope you can choose our hotel again during your next visit to Shanghai.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel with its garden is an oasis in bustling Shanghai. As others have remarked it's a little dated, but I spent a comfortable 3 nights there at a reasonable price. The breakfast buffet is amongst the best I have experienced, and the Sky Lounge is a great place for an evening drink. I also had an excellent (but not cheap) dinner in the teppanyaki restaurant. Top marks for the service throughout.

One complaint - not confined to just this hotel - was the poorly fitting connecting door with the adjacent room, through which I could clearly hear everything going on next door. Why many hotels find it so difficult to adequately sound proof this door is a mystery to me. Luckily my neighbor was not a night owl.

Another issue is smoking. There's quite a lot of it going on here, my room had a faint stale smoke odor -not enough to really bother me - but I had to move seats in the Sky Bar to get away from a smoker. That's China I guess!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room without a connecting door!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
bologna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

The hotel location is ok.
But the gym! It is incredibly old, with crappy old machines, full of wires in the cardio area and very very old resistance machines.
Not acceptable in a 5 star hotel.
All equipment should be replaced with new Technogym products, the real standard in top class hotel gyms.
Staff is nice, but the knowledge if English should be improved.
And the breakfast is simply poor: incredibly poor at the Executive floor (just a tea and a salad!) and very poor at the main lobby, where you can hardly find any ham or salami, nutella, fruit yogurts and a decent espresso.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for giving us the comments here. We are very glad to know you like our location, which will bring our guests great convenience to better understand the city.
About what you have mentioned on the website, we will pay great attention to the problem, and we will try our best to offer the best in the future.
Hope you will stay with us again.
Pleasanton, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The location is good if you're staying or doing business in that part of Shanghai. There are good restaurants within walking distance. It will cost around 170 RMB for a taxi from PVG to get there.

The place needs an upgrade. Everything is dated. They have internet, but the QoS is poor. Don't expect to be able to use Skype for phone calls without many issues. You also cannot get to certain web sites thanks to China policies.

The hotel seems to cater to westerners and Japanese. They have people on staff that speak those languages to at least some extent.

My "non smoking" room has ash trays in the bathroom and in the main area. Perhaps to make it convenient for me if I wanted to start smoking? All of the public areas in the hotel smell of stale smoke, and if you're sensitive to that like I am you might smell it in your room as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!