I was skeptical about staying at a Howard Johnson, since in the U.S. it is associated with lower quality hotels. But this place was fantastic! The lobby was very grand. My room was huge-a sitting room, 1 gorgeous bathroom with shower and tub plus another 1/2 bath. It was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was huge, very quiet and had all the necessary amenities.
The staff was very friendly and spoke great English. They exchanged money on-site (not every hotel will). The location was wonderful-in the heart of the action and about 15 minutes walking from The Bund. I had the breakfast buffet for about $17 and it was great. ( heard others say that the dinner wasn't very good, though.) They let me store a bag there for several days for free.
I stayed in another hotel right down the street for more money. It was nice, too. But I felt this hotel was a better value and overall much nicer.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. I wish I had more time in Shanghai.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Plaza Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Howard Johnson Plaza Shanghai Hotel
- Howard Johnson Shanghai
- Shanghai Howard Johnson
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Shanghai is an international five star hotel in the heart of downtown Shanghai. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Otel, getaroom.com, Ctrip DaoDao, HotelTravel.com and Venere so you can book your Howard Johnson Plaza Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.