“Nice hotel and mostly good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Shanghai

You added Hilton Shanghai to your Saves list
Hilton Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.250 Hua Shan Road,Jing'an District, French Concession, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #66 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Nice hotel and mostly good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Overall, satisfied with my stay. Room was good and reception service was ok too.

The downer is the concierge staff in front of the hotel at the cab stand. The hotel entrance does not attract cabs and the guy out front just would not do a thing to try to get cabs for guests. Most hotel staff would walk out to wave cabs in, but not here. Nope, he just shrugged and stared into space.

• Stayed July 2013
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear valed guest,

I would like to extend my most sincere appreciation for your wonderful feedback on your most recent experiences with us. It is always so rewarding for myself and the entire team to here from loyal guests like yourself. It will give me great pride and pleasure to recognize the team here and share this feedback with them.

We are looking forward to your next visit and I am confident that our team will find new ways to “WOW” you, and provide the unique personalized service you come to expect of us.

warm wishes
Gerd Knaust

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Louisville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very nice and in a good location. Service at the bar is pathetic though......... Rooms are clean and fresh, good temperatures help for a good nice sleep. Staff was friendly. Breakfast included with the room was above excellent and noodle bar was fantastic. It was a great experience but I'm a Marriott guy so will be staying at the Renaissance not far away which has better shopping.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards!

Thank you for taking your time to submit a review of your stays with us. We are always seeking to understand what our guests value most during their stays We truly appreciate your positive comments for our room , breakfast , my colleagues and the location.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any additional comments or questions you may have. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm wishes,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Decided to try the Hilton Shanghai for a second time, as normally I would stay at the Portman Hotel, but looking to get my HH program to Diamond as fast as possible. Let me outline my experience in the last 12 hours since arriving at the hotel.

Ordered Limo pick up from airport, the car that picked me up was a twenty year old lexus, smelt inside like smoke and had no wifi capabilty (like the car that picked me up the first visit), where is the consistancy in service, especially when you are paying 4-5x a taxi price for a nice car, anyway the driver was nice and effecient.

Check in with the new training lady Xixi was very smooth, checked into the room at around 11pm at night, as always this hotel takes around 30 minutes to deliver the bag to the room, I had to call and ask them for it.

I did not mind waiting as it was taking me that long to connect to the internet in the room, the wifi is terrible in room 3414, no signal unless you lay on the floor near the door, which I did for a few hours, I called the hotel, they transferred me to the philippines Docomo provider, the guy said he would reset the wifi near my room and improve the signal, but that did not work, anyway by around 1130pm I decided I cannot be bothered. I have now tried the internet in the room and in the club lounge, if you wish to access VPN (like 99% of the business world) this hotel does not support it, I have not been able to get onto VPN in any location of the hotel, hence I cannot work, not such a bad thing perhaps, but I think I will be checking out as soon as possible.

I did notice then I did wake up a letter on the desk that told guests that the hotel is improving the internet, should be finished by Sept 30, it would be nice if they told people that at check in so they did not waste one hour trying to connect to the web.

The club lounge is ok, rooms are ok, the breakfast in the lounge is ok, the manager in the club lounge is very nice and tries to help, the coffee is terrible so stay away from coffee in this hotel unless you are a lover of starbucks then it is perhaps great coffee, but for most coffee drinkers this coffee would be classified as rubbish in the Hilton.

Overall this is no where close to the Portman Hotel (which I get for around the same rate), the Ritz Carlton Portman is 5 Star international quality, the Hilton Shanghai is a 3-4 staff Chinese hotel, even the TV in the room which has 50 channels - 45 of them are in chinese!!!! I think this hotel is not suitable for international business travellers.

If you can get a rate under like 800 rmb then this hotel would be suitable, location is good, but the service/quality is not so great.

Room Tip: Check the wifi before going into the room (dont take 3414 as the wifi is terrible), dont get the lim...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Hilton Shanghai.

Thank you so much for letting us know your comments. I apologize that some of our service level doesn’t meet your expectation. My colleagues and I continue to seek a better understanding of what our guests value most and how we may anticipate their needs. Your comments are important in allowing us to improve in these regards.

I was already informed about your stay details, feedback and know that our colleagues have talked to you in person – Nicole and Mark. Please feel free to contact any of us if you have any other inquiries.

As the first 5 star international branded hotel in shanghai, we will continue to upgrade the hotel s facilities.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

warm wishes
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I love this hotel, I've been coming here for so long and it just feels so comfortable. Location is excellent with many restaurants close by and the metro 10 minutes walking.I usually stay on the Executive floor which gives me access to the lounge which I use for breakfast, working through the day the happy hour in the evening. The staff on the lounge floor are great, always there to help with a ready smile. The rooms are reasonably spacious with a large comfortable bed and good air conditioning. Downstairs offers a nice location for coffee or a drink and the restaurant on this floor offers 24 hour service. Perhaps a little expensive but very convenient with good service. The top floor offers a fantastic panoramic view of Shanghai at night. The gym has a good selection of equipment and the pool is a generous size. the only negative last stay was the internet was very slow and intermittent in it's service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to submit your impression of your most recent stay with us. We rely on the feedback from our guests to understand what training and improvements are required at our property as well as what our guests value most during their stays. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our Executive Lounge, outlets and our executive room.

Please know that I would welcome any additional comments you may have about your stay. Otherwise, I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

with kind regards
Graz, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We, family of three with a 4 year old, booked an executive room for the weekend. We usually love the service of the executive lounges at Hilton, but NOT here!
As we arrived by car, nobody was there to help us with our luggage, three guys where happily chatting in the lobby, where it was nice and cool and only came out after my husband went up to them and directly asked for help.
We checked in at the executive lounge where they, by-the-way, told us, that children under the age of 12 were banned from the lounge. So, why didn't they tell us when we booked?? There is no point in paying the extra charge of an executive room if you don't get to use it!! And it is no fun for the parents to take turns to have a glass of wine or whatever while the other has to stay in the room with the child!!!!!!! Never ever found this policy in any of the Hiltons we stayed at across China.
The rooms have been pimped, but the bathroom really shows its 25 years of life, especially the not really nice curtain of the bathtub/shower, which was quite out of date!
The staff is very proud of being celebrating the 25 years anniversary of the hotel and seems to be very busy in being proud. We would have appreciated if they greeted the (paying) hosts when crossing them instead of proudly walking by!
Breakfast buffet was nice, good quality food. Service okay.
We will never go back to this Hilton, the one in Hongqiao has much nicer rooms and the staff is way more friendly. Also lots of good Hotels in central Shanghai, so no need to go where you do not feel welcomed at all!
My tip for families: go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai.

Thank you for writing us your feedback here in Tripadvisor. My colleagues and I continue to seek a better understanding of what our guests value most and how we may anticipate their needs: your comments are important to us.

On the website of the hotel, it was stated that Children under 12 years old is not allowed in the Executive Lounge. This policy was made after many feedbacks we have gotten from our guests. Hilton Shanghai is a business hotel with only about 80 seats up in the lounge. The number is limited while 80% of the customers here would like to have a quiet environment to work and have a business gathering. The benefit of Executive Lounge includes free buffet breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktail. We have done many market survey and food tasting, it is city wide recognized that our Lounge is one of the best in shanghai not only for the food quality ( and quantity ) but also for the service. I fully understand parents want to have kids around and that s why we would like to make an exception for you to take your food down to your room for your children.

Again, thank you for your comments and we will share it among our team members and will emphasize the training and enhance the service standard.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

with kind regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I love this hotel although this is my 1st review (been staying here for 5 years) ... the location is fantastic the staff are so helpful, the service is amazing the rooms (even the basic ones) are spacious and comfortable, the fitness centre is well equipped and the breakfast in out of this world... if you are in Shanghai... stay here its that simple

Room Tip: all rooms are good but if you can stretch to the Exec floor do it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to submit a review of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your feedback as an important tool in our improvement and development. In particular, we are pleased to know what our guests value most. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my colleagues served you well during your stay as well as the central location of the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any additional questions, comments or concerns, as I would be eager to assist. Otherwise, I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I was there on business and found the 2 nights I stayed there very disappointing overall compared to the other amazing hotels I stayed at in China while there (and during previous trips). Firstly the rooms are very tired and I was given a room with twin beds even though I was travelling alone. The whole Internet setup is terrible. Firstly it costs you 120RMB per day, is only wifi in some parts of the hotel and is hit and miss overall (I spent half an hour on the phone to their Internet service provider support trying to get my laptop working in my room so I could do some work). The service is only OK (with the exception of the concierge and transportation desks - they were awesome!). The food OK. The jazz bar at the top of the building is quite good though - good cocktails and service. Breakfast is OK, but nothing special. The location hasn't got as much to offer on foot as staying in The Bund. I won't be back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Kindly Greetings from the Hilton Shanghai and I do hope this message finds you so well!

I have taken notice regarding your valuable comments on room accommodation and internet issue. Please be kindly informed that our hotel has made majority room renovation and will do the remaining part shortly. Your room preference will be saved in profile for recognized in future. In addition, we are upgrading our internet service with more efficient speed now.

Thank you for compliment on our concierge and transportation team service and it will be surely shared in concerned team then. As well, I do appreciate for your comments on Food and Beverage experience.

Once again, Thank you very much for choose Hilton Shanghai as your temporary residence in Shanghai.

Gerd Knaust

Been to Hilton Shanghai? Share your experiences!