“Nice hotel under construction.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Shanghai

You added Hilton Shanghai to your Saves list
Hilton Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.250 Hua Shan Road,Jing'an District, French Concession, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #66 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice hotel under construction.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a beautiful lobby. There are multiple restaurants that serve good quality food. There is also a skybar that provides a nice view of Shanghai. During my stay there construction was occurring and while it wasn't on the floor I was staying, you could still smell the paint and construction materials being used. However, it did not affect my stay to a large degree. The one drawback to this hotel is the lack of wifi in the rooms and the fact that only free wifi was offered in the lobby for one hour a day. The cost for internet was rather extraordinary. This hotel would be good for people traveling for business and who can bill their business for amenities such as wifi. The employees at the hotel are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards from the Hilton Shanghai!

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I am particularly grateful for your positive feedback as you mention you have stayed with us on restaurant experience such as in Penthouse bar, and are satified with our services and offerings. My colleagues and I appreciate your encouraging words!

In addition, our property is ongoing a part of room renovation plan and please enjoy the new room facilities when it completes upon your next trip soon later, I do hope. Also, our internet expanding plan will be reviewed by top management recently.

We likewise look forward to your return! Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments you may have.

Assistant Front Office Manager & HHonors Manager
Kenny.Gong@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I can attest to the Hilton Shanghai pervasive mediocrity.

Having been a guest of the Hilton in Shanghai on many occasions and usually being allocated an un-renovated room, on my last visit I decided to upgrade to an Executive Room to ensure I had a comfortable desk and chair. The room was the same as the other renovated non-executive rooms- so OK, still have showers over baths like grandma house- but I was disappointed to find that the hotel charges executive’s' accompanying visitors in the executive lounge. Not that unusual I suppose but I have stayed in several hotels where one can bring a guest into the lounge or coffee or a drink and they are warmly welcomed and not charged.

When working from laptop in a foreign city it is great to be able to hold short meetings in the lounge with colleagues and expect them to be welcomed rather than checked overas if they are trying to cadge a free coffee. The staff on the executive level are generally unfriendly and officious, a bit like customs inspectors.

I was travelling with a group of six work colleagues so at breakfast (in the lobby), on two occasions, we were seated behind the waiters station next to a growing pile of dirty dishes. Buffet breakfast is very good at the Hilton (one Plus) but they have replaced their previously quite good coffee with brown weak liquid- at least you can drink several cups without getting edgy I suppose.

For some reason the porters done want to hail taxis to come to the entrance anymore.

The ladies of the night are less confronting now- they don’t seem to follow guests up to their rooms uninvited anymore but they do cruise the lobby cocktail bar leering at guests. To avoid them one could head up to the Level 35 Cocktail Lounge but only if one enjoys cigar smoke.

Room Tip: Higher floors are renovated
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your impressions of your most recent stay with us. Rest assured that your comments are very much appreciated, as we use feedback from our guests as an important tool in our training and improvement.

Having said this, we do appreciate for your valuable detail comments on our hotel facilities and service part. Particularly, as your mentioned on Executive lounge and restaurant experience such as breakfast, it will be surely shared in our concerned department head with necessary solution followed up.

Please know that any additional comments, questions or concerns you are willing to share with us would be welcome. I would be pleased to hear from you directly!

Assistant Fron Office Manager & HHonors Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Good location: 3 min to subway station (line 2, Jing'an Temple), about 10 min to Nanjing road by step, and around 45 min to the Bund.
A lot of molls and restaurants.
Great service.
Free wifi in lobby.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate any and all of our guests’ feedback as an important tool in our improvement and understanding what our guests value most.

I'm also very pleased to know about your great comments especially for hotel location as well as service part and WiFi issue. It will be surely shared in our team and encourage us to maintain good service continually.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon. Should you have any additional comments or questions, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to assist!

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hotel is nice, did the job. Pleasant, helpful, good english speaking staff. Room was clean. Food was good. Walking distance to popular shopping areas. Nice view of the Shanghai skyline. Very nice workout facility. I would recommend this property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate any and all of our guests’ feedback as an important tool in our improvement and understanding what our guests value most.

Having said this, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Particularly, I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel, and very pleased to know that my colleagues served you well and catered to your specific preferences!

Assistant Front Office Manager & HHonors Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent a very pleasant and comfortable weekend at the Shanghai Hilton. The room was up to standard and so was the food. In particular, we enjoyed their very reasonable priced Sunday brunch which had a large range of Western, Chinese and other Asian dishes.
I would advise anyone staying here not to sign for for extras but pay at the time with cash or card instead. We signed for an evening meal when we arrived and breakfast the next morning and were summoned to reception so they could increase the amount blocked on our credit card - as we had run up such a large bill!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 27, 2013

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

It's always so glad to hear from guest positive comments as such, especially for compliments on our Sunday Brunch part. In addition, I'm very pleased to know that you did enjoy our Food & Beverage service and facilities as the treatment for example!

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Good hotel in a good location. Food is OK. Bar is OK. Accessible to airports. Easy to get taxi. Restaurants are close. Walking distance to main shopping area. We did do a Spa treatment which we found very good. A nice pool, spa, work out area. Overall all a good hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 22, 2013

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Having seen from your comments, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Particularly, I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel, and very pleased to know that you did enjoy our SPA facilities as the treatment for example!

Woodbury Salterton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Some hotels in the Hilton portfolio don't live up to the quality once expected of this brand but the Shanghai Hilton is certainly up there with the best. Situated in the French Concession area of Shanghai the Hilton is handy for the main shopping areas and just a short cab ride away from the Bund with its views of the famous Pudong skyline. Ancient temples are also nearby. Rooms are very large by Far East standards and some have great views across the city. The hotel has a spa which I didn't use, my daughter reported it to be excellent but found it annoying that it was compulsory to purchase a swimming cap before using the pool. The breakfast buffet has to be one of the best in China with its generous mix of oriental and Western dishes. There is also an evening buffet with a wide choice of well-prepared dishes and another restaurant specialising in sea-food. However, I suggest you have a splurge and try the restaurant on the top floor. Wow but this is good! Very expensive by Chinese standards but worth every penny and the adjoining cocktail bar is worth it just for the view. A warning to non-smokers that there are a couple of smoking tables in this restaurant and many tables in the cocktail bar and ground-floor bar also permit smoking. My room flooded in the night due to problems on the floor above. It took just minutes to move me to another, and better room, and when I checked out the Duty Manager was waiting to apologise and to let me know that the General Manager would be contacting me at home to "put the matter right". I have stayed here before and will stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of your most recent stay with us!

I am very grateful for your encouraging words and your specific examples of what made your stay enjoyable. We rely on feedback similar to yours to understand what our guest value most in their visits to our property and also what can be improved.

Particularly, I am pleased to know you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel and the comfort of our rooms. Similarly, I am pleased that you enjoyed our Food and Beverage offerings throughout the hotel. However, your comments about the smoking-permitted areas as well as the regulations in our swimming pool have been well-noted to see how we may potentially address these inconveniences.

In regards to your comments about the flooding you experienced, I truly appreciate your patience and understanding, and I am glad to know my colleagues assisted you well to make sure your stay was not too troubled.

Should there be any additional comments you may want to share with us or any questions you may have, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to help! Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Olivia Ji

Magic Manager
8621-62480000 Ext.2800
olivia.ji@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Shanghai? Share your experiences!