“JW Rating is misleading” 3 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.399 Nanjing West Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200003, China (People's Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 4
Ranked #15 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“JW Rating is misleading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Before i write this report, i must make clear that i am a huge Marriott fan and use them all over the world on a monthly basis. OK, there is a defined line between Courtyard Marriott, Marriott and JW Marriott levels. I had been looking forward for years to get the opportunity to stay in this amazing looking Hotel. The actual experience was far from thrilling and rather misleading. Yes this is a good hotel, but is it a great hotel worthy of JW status - no way in a million years, sorry. The price and quality of this hotel is certainly OK for Marriott level but not JW until upgraded. Gym was fine, Restaurant food was basic in the Chinese and service was way too fast - in and out in 15 minutes - crazy. I went to the bar area once for a couple of minutes,it was packed with kids running around and the whole experiece around the reception area and bar is like a train station in rush hour. finally i went to the cool looking bar on the next floor for some santury. Nope, it was thick with cigartette smoke. At this point i gave up and went to bed, checked out the next day and left for the Marriott Manila. subsequently to me complaining the feedback from the hotel was amazing and very understanding, so i have no complaints with the level of customer service or help from all the staff, but sorry, this is not a JW Marriott. TWO constructive pieces of critisizm for the management. 1. Check out mood lighting - go on a course, it really helps . 2. Visit some other JW's, Bangkok is a good example of what a JW should be. Sorry, i should add the club lounge was fine and the hotel does have amazing views when its not hazed over with pollution -

Room Tip: i think you wil get a good view from every room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Minnie Z, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your experience with the JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square. We apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

Your comments are very detailed and useful in helping us to continuously improve. This will certainly be reviewed and we hope to be able to deliver to your standards when you next come for a visit. On the same note, we would like to say sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. It is of course, a disappointment to us, but we commit to improving each time.

Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. If I may request that you send me a note before arrival then so I can make the necessary arrangements..

Thank you again for your comments and your time. We are glad to be at your service and looking forward to seeing you very soon

713 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Genoa, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have stayed for 5 nights, brieftaking view from my window particularly during the night for the multicolor light. The hotel atmospere is very warm with very cooperative people. The room was pleasant and quiet.

Room Tip: None as the people are so keen to provide you full assistance to make your staying to feel like at h...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Three American gals stayed at this hotel for 6 nights.

We arrived on Jan 5 after a whirlwind tour/cruise of SE Asia. First, the check in was flawless, everyone greeted is with a smile and willingness to make it speedy so that we could get to our rooms.
First- This property is BEAUTIFUL. It is the 38th through 50-something floor of this skyscraper. The views are nothing short of amazing. Our rooms were amazing, beautifully appointed and views of Shanghai form the 42 floor spectacular.

The breakfast buffet is fantastic and I urge everyone to try the Pho soup daily.
What separates this hotel from all other hotels is the staff. I counted no less than 10 staff at any given time in the lobby available for assistance. Thesis in addition to hotel desk staff and concierge staff.

Sylvio, the GM, would constantly be walking the public rooms and introducing himself to guests. I know of any GM that will do that. My impression is that they think they are too important to walk with the common folk. It was such a breath of fresh air to meet Sylvio, who promptly handed me his card and told me to let him know if there was anything he could help with. As it turned out, because of the weather in the states in early Jan, many flights were cancelled ad I reached out to Sylvio for help.

Marriott has a Guest Services dept, and before Sylvio could even try to help, my angel, Kimberly from Guest Services appeared. I have never been so well taken care of as I have been by Kimberly and I have stayed at many 5 star hotels including Ritz, Four Seasons and other 5 star properties. I had a nasty Bronchial infection due to pollution when I checked in. Kimberly had her assistants find medicine for me and also arranged for the chef to make me a special soup (twice) that helped with respitory infections. I will never forget my angel and her care. The service I received from Marriott goes beyond and above anything that would be expected.

Because of the care I experienced, I will be switching my loyalty from another well-know hotel chain to Marriott.

Simply put, the service here is as good as it gets.

Room Tip: Views Are Amazing, Service is 5 star!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Beautiful hotel. Great location. Staff was very friendly. Rooms were very nice. Nice park across street. Concierge lounge was ok. Not as nice as some of the other locations in China. Overall, nice place to stay for business

• Stayed January 2014
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed there for one night with my parents because I wanted them to experience one of the most luxury hotels in Shanghai. The concierge team and service team were very helpful and professional. However, I got bad attitude from the switchboard lady when I phoned the hotel. I tried not to speak English to them but mandarin. I guess that’s the reason I was not treated with respect. The front desk never showed smiles when I checked in. Of course no greetings either. I found the bell boys on the ground floor tended to greet white people only. Okay whatever.
We stayed on the 43rd floor and did get a great view of the city but the room was outdated. It was a pity that I missed the opportunity to check out the Lounge because of miscommunication. Not sure if I will return to this hotel. Nothing really special except the nice view.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here for a week middle of Dec. The staff are very nice, had good view in room,high floor,lobby bar are so comfortable to seat,with perfect location, close to "Nan Jing shopping street", best choice in Shang Hai,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family stayed in JW shanghai marriott on Dec. 23, 2013 for transferred. Our room is little outdated but very clean and neat. What impressed us the most though was the service especially the housekeeping who returned our little son's necklace to the front desk and send us email before we realized we lost it. What is honest staff. Staff spoke good english. it was an absolute pleasure staying at this hotel and we certainly would stay here again in this summer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square? Share your experiences!