“Marriott Hotel Shanghai Pudong” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.838 Dongfang Road/Weifang Road, Pudong, Shanghai 200122, China (Lujiazui)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 4
Ranked #65 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Sacramento, California
“Marriott Hotel Shanghai Pudong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Excellent hotel in perfect location. Easy walk to Nanjing Road and then to The Bund and ferry. Must say Nanjing Road was a disappointment -- mostly for the younger set, both for shopping and food. Better food elsewhere! Expensive drinks and restaurant in the hotel, though the cafe was reasonable for coffee and snacks. Desserts looked better than they tasted -- texture weird! Staff did everything they could to accommodate, and stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: We were on the 27th floor, and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to send us your valuable feedback.

We were pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and also appreciated the hospitality of our staff.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past. The service is professional, quality is good and the rooms are clean. It is near to the metro (Century avenue) which is very convenient. If possible, upgrade to an executive room. The executive lounge is great in the evening, after a long day at the office, and the staff are fantastic.

I did have an issue with my room on this stay. For some reason, I could hear quite a bit of noise from the adjacent room. It was not enough to request a room change but; annoying and disruptive all the same. It is the first time this has happened and the room was a different room from the rooms I have had in the past. This room had a bathroom that you walked through to get into the room itself. Slightly strange but; not really a problem.

For those of you who are interested in the "fake" markets, there is a pretty good one at the Shanghai science and technology museum metro station. Take the line 2 metro one station to "Shanghai science and technology museum" and upon exiting the station, you will literally end up in the market. I find it a bit more civilised compared with Nanjing West road market.

There is a gym in this hotel which is ok however; there is not a swimming pool.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone with business in the Pudong area.

Room Tip: I suggest you request a room without the bathroom at the entrance to the room if noise from the adja...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post this review about our hotel.

We are gratified to know that you have enjoyed our Executive Lounge and will do our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible next time you come and stay with us.

Please know that we are happy to accommodate every request that you might have and are looking forward to welcoming you back here.

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I prefer Marriott properties for the Marriott benefits. This was a decent property. I stayed a week and plan to stay here again.
Pros: Good location. Just a short walk to the subway. Room was good, good breakfast, helpful staff.
Cons: Restaurant and drinks were expensive. Walk to the group of restaurants just behind the hotel. Much better prices and only a few steps away.

Room Tip: request a room on the opposite side of the adjacent construction. A building is going up just acros...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate the time that you have taken to provide your valuable feedback regarding your stay in our hotel.

We were glad to read that you found our hotel to be conveniently located near to the subway and that you enjoyed our breakfast and the service received from our staff.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon again.

Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This time I returned as a platinum member. Between platinum and gold, there is no difference in this hotel. We got a nice room on the high floor and free access to the lounge. This lounge accept kids and my daughter always got special attention. Apart from this attention there are no additional kids activities in the hotel, but there is plenty going on around. The staff is really friendly, at the lounge, at the reception, at the door, etc.. The rooms are a bit small for a family of three, with my card I was hoping for a suite.

I can recommend this hotel. A good alternative for one of the big names. Service and quality are the same, the price is less.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to mention your feedback about your stay in our hotel.

We feel very pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you have been well taken care of during your stay by our Lounge, Reception and Concierge staff.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon again and offer you more pleasant surprises.

Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Courtyard Marriott in Pudong was quite a surprise. To be honest, I was expecting it to be quite ordinary, but was happy to discover it was quite the opposite. In fact, everything about the Courtyard was Marriott comfort and professionalism at its best. The receptionists were friendly and efficient. I was checked in within minutes, and the receptionist then explained all that needed to be explained. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a junior suite which was nicely decorated and comfortable. The bed was what I have come to expect from Marriotts – extremely comfortable and cozy. The rooms are not equipped with wireless internet, but if you ask, the hotel is happy to bring a wireless router to your room: that to me is good service.
The business lounge provided a great selection of food and some really good wines: at least three whites and three reds. Breakfast was also good with one of the best egg chefs I have come across: his omelettes were really tasty.
Not all of the staff members are fluent in English, but they are able to communicate well. What they might lack in language skills, they make up in their willingness to please.
I ran a training course there, and was very pleased with the meeting facilities and the service provided by the banquet staff: all my needs were met, most anticipated.
I enjoyed my seven days at the Courtyard Marriott Pudong, and would be very happy to stay there again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and providing us with such an excellent feedback. Coming from a seasoned traveler and a top contributor as you are, we truly appreciate it.

First of all, I am happy that you have enjoyed your room. Unfortunately, currently we do not offer standard Wi-Fi service in the rooms, but as you have noticed, we try our best to set up a router in a room if it is necessary. However, in the near future we are planning to launch a wireless network that would be accessible from every room.

Furthermore, I will gladly pass your comments about the executive lounge to my associates, I am sure they will be very happy with your feedback.

Lastly, we are aware that some associates have lower English proficiency and we are conducting special English classes to improve it. Nonetheless, it is good to hear that you have not experienced any issues communicating with our staff members.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Juozas Natkevicius
Danville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I chose this hotel really for the early flight out of Pudong, but found to be an excellent choice for staying in Shanghai next time. Very close to Century Avenue subway station and next to a shopping mall. Simply walk to the station and get off at Longyang Road station and get on the Maglev and 7 minutes later you are at PVG. The train runs 15 ~ 20 minutes intervals from 7 AM on. I think it took me about 40 minutes in total from the hotel to the airport. You could take the taxi and will take about that much time. I was upgraded to the executive floor and the breakfast spread was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with such a nice feedback and comments.

I am happy that you have had a pleasant stay and enjoyed the breakfast as well as the location of our hotel. I hope during your next visit you will have more time and will continue to explore Shanghai as there is definitely plenty to see and experience here.

I wish you safe travels and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.

Juozas Natkevicius
Taiping, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is truly a hidden gem! Location is good, the deco is the standard courtyard but the service is top notch. They are professional but they do bring the extra mile - warmth!

Georgina who's one of the managers there was real helpful, warm and sincere. I believe she's originally from romania

Additional bonus: the tailor in the lobby offers tailored made suits at very decent prices (especially for a hotel)

Tip: if you're staying at this hotel, do upgrade to the executive floor. the service there is excellent and not too crowded

there was a grumpy/somber guy in a suit that walks around - i believe he must be in senior management :) good thing his grumpiness doesn't rub off on the other staff!

Room Tip: i did enjoy the view of plaza 96 (shopping mall) as it made it feel quite open/wide space. i was on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about our hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised to read your kind comments and also to see that you remembered that I come from Romania. Thank you!

Your comments regarding the "top notch service" of our staff was also highly appreciated.

We look forward to having you stay with us again and offer you a very comfortable stay and more pleasant surprises.

Guest Services

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong? Share your experiences!