“Good location for Shanghai Pudong airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong

You added Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.838 Dongfang Road/Weifang Road, Pudong, Shanghai 200122, China (Lujiazui)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #44 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Danville, Virginia
“Good location for Shanghai Pudong airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I chose this hotel really for the early flight out of Pudong, but found to be an excellent choice for staying in Shanghai next time. Very close to Century Avenue subway station and next to a shopping mall. Simply walk to the station and get off at Longyang Road station and get on the Maglev and 7 minutes later you are at PVG. The train runs 15 ~ 20 minutes intervals from 7 AM on. I think it took me about 40 minutes in total from the hotel to the airport. You could take the taxi and will take about that much time. I was upgraded to the executive floor and the breakfast spread was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with such a nice feedback and comments.

I am happy that you have had a pleasant stay and enjoyed the breakfast as well as the location of our hotel. I hope during your next visit you will have more time and will continue to explore Shanghai as there is definitely plenty to see and experience here.

I wish you safe travels and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taiping, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is truly a hidden gem! Location is good, the deco is the standard courtyard but the service is top notch. They are professional but they do bring the extra mile - warmth!

Georgina who's one of the managers there was real helpful, warm and sincere. I believe she's originally from romania

Additional bonus: the tailor in the lobby offers tailored made suits at very decent prices (especially for a hotel)

Tip: if you're staying at this hotel, do upgrade to the executive floor. the service there is excellent and not too crowded

there was a grumpy/somber guy in a suit that walks around - i believe he must be in senior management :) good thing his grumpiness doesn't rub off on the other staff!

Room Tip: i did enjoy the view of plaza 96 (shopping mall) as it made it feel quite open/wide space. i was on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about our hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised to read your kind comments and also to see that you remembered that I come from Romania. Thank you!

Your comments regarding the "top notch service" of our staff was also highly appreciated.

We look forward to having you stay with us again and offer you a very comfortable stay and more pleasant surprises.

Georgiana Nedelcu
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed more than once at the Marriott Courtyard in Pudong, Shanghai and have felt extremely welcomed and appreciated. Not only was I greeted by name at check in, but also in other parts of the hotel. The personal attention and care of all I came in contact with was impressive, including room service and the concierge. It is also in a convenient location for the #2 Metro line.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Your positive comments regarding our staff and service are most appreciated. I am happy that you have felt welcomed, after all, this is so important when staying far away from home.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

One does not usually associate a Courtyard hotel with great eating. More on that later. The location is super- with a caveat – more on that later, too.
The staff are excellent. Friendly, helpful, never in a snit. They combine the best of the Marriott tradition of service and the best of Chinese appreciation for guests. The executive lounge staff are superb – a couple of days in a row and they are calling you by name. Paying for an executive floor room is well- worth it: the lounge has really good food, morning and night, and excellent service, not to mention private check- in and check- out and complementary use of meeting rooms for a couple hours per day.
The rooms are good- sized, not super- large but comfortable. Fittings are all very good and modern, and done with taste. The one drawback is that there is precious little drawer space. You might not notice on an overnight, but for a week stay, get used to asking for extra hangers. There are all the usual extra amenities which you get in Asia hotels. The loo / sink / shower are partitioned by glass and located between the room entrance and the sleeping quarters – a bit oddly partitioned, but not unpleasant and not long to get used to it. There is a pocket door to separate the plumbing from the sleeping area.
On most days, at breakfast and at lunch, they have the BEST Shanghai Noodle chef I have ever seen. My Chinese colleagues also say he’s the best they have ever seen. He is a bit dour and functional – but who cares? He makes it look easy and most important, the taste is amazing. When he is pulling noodles you can ask for angel hair noodles and he’ll pull them extra-fine for you. There is a huge choice of ingredients to add to the broth (which is good enough on its own.) If you think it a bit strange to have noodles for breakfast – trust me, try them once and likely you’ll be back in line every remaining morning. The restaurant is temporarily moved to a floor above the lobby while renovations are made.
Around the corner is New Rushan Village, a collection of shops and restaurants, including a fantastic Szechuan restaurant which, so many beers later you can barely count them, only ends up costing €20 per head. There is also a nearby restaurant which has a nightly show of the “masked dancer” whose face masks change more quickly than you can see. Kitschy but fun. The concierge has a lot of ideas.
The neighborhood is not flashy like in some areas – but that keeps the price modest and the value high. But it is easily accessible. The Courtyard PuDong is in an excellent location for certain things. First, although no Shanghai hotel is “close” to the main international airport (PuDong), the Courtyard is a reliable 40 min away by car and because it is on the east side and clear of Lujiazui, relatively immune to traffic snarls – an extra ten minutes is the worst I have encountered in dozens of visits. Next, it is only a few hundred meters from a large metro station, where three lines (2, 6 and 9) come together. The number two (green) line goes to both PuDong and Hongqiao airports. From the Courtyard, it is only three stops on the green line to the MagLev station, which whisks you in eerie silence to PuDong airport in only 8 min plus or minus a bit for weather variations—so, for the cost of a few hundred meters on foot at the end, and an easy change from MagLev to Metro, you can beat the fastest auto service hands down, not to mention saving lots of cash. It is one stop on Line 2 to the Science and Technology museum and the “Fake Market” where the fakes are probably from the same factory as the originals; two stops to Lujiazui, where the east bank of the Huangpu River and the tallest buildings beckon, two more stops to People’s square. A ride of five or so stops costs €0.50, so there is little reason to not take the plunge, and there are adequate signs in English. You can ask for help and get a Metro Card which is loaded with credit – whatever you care to load on - and can also be used for cab rides so that you are never left fumbling for change or speechless in front of an indecipherable fare machine. (NOTE: write your name on the card if you plan to use it in a cab, or else risk that the cabbie deftly swaps your loaded card for one with zero balance!)
All in all: great value at the Courtyard Marriott PuDong.

Room Tip: The executive floor is well wortth the extra price
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write such an extensive review, it really feels like you have had a lot to share with us. I am very happy that you had a nice stay at our hotel.

Firstly, I appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff. We always emphasize the importance of dedication and resourcefulness to our associates and I am delighted when someone notices it. I will make sure to pass your kind words to our noodle chef, as well as the executive lounge employees.

In addition, I am very happy that you like the location of our hotel and found some time in your schedule to explore the surroundings. Shanghai is a huge city with plenty of things to see and I am glad you have managed to experience some of them.

I hope and look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in total. Great staff! Great location!
~10mins walk to Century Ave Metro station,
~3mins walk to Purple Mountain Hotel where the world-renowned Peking Duck restaurant has anchored its Shanghai Flagship. "Quan ju de" dubbed as the “Best No. 1 Restaurant” for authentic “Peking Duck”.
~2mins to 96 Plaza which has many restaurants...
~20mins walk to the bund
The only way to connect via WIFI is at the hotel lobby and/or at the restaurants during breakfast. You need to get a password from the staff where the password changes every 24hrs, and each password cannot be used for multiple devices. If you have 2 smartphones and ipad, you will need 3 passwords.
Internet connection in the rooms are wired, it is free when you become a Marriott member. I checked with the staff on WIFI in the rooms, and they mention that the rooms do have any the routers and hence no WIFI capability, which was a big disappointment to me and my wife.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with our customer service and the location of our hotel, being close to places that you are interested in.

Secondly, I would like to address your comments regarding the Internet access. Unfortunately, as you have mentioned currently we only have cable access in the rooms and password protected Wifi in the lobby. However, I am glad to inform you that starting from tomorrow our free lobby Wifi no longer requires any passwords. In addition, we are already planning a Wifi setup in all guest rooms that should be implemented in the near future.

I would like to wish you all the best and I hope to welcome you back at Courtyard, Pudong during your next visit in Shanghai.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Really very good experience in this Hotel, Staff in reception, bar, restaurants, room device and concierge are very keen to fulfil your needs and to help in every situation.
Just behind the hotel there is a big mall with many restaurants and cafeteria, including Costa coffee and Starbucks and many shops.
There is a metro station about 500 m. century avenue station from which you can go any where in Shanghai.
If you want to go to Superbrand mall very good but very expensive, you take line 2 from century avenue station to Lujiazui station (2 stops)

Room Tip: Higher floor better view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us, therefore you positive feedback is very much appreciated.

I am also delighted to hear that you find our location to be convenient and even found time in your schedule to explore the surrounding areas.

I would like to wish you safe future travels and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next stay in Shanghai.

Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The location is good since you can get to the Bund very easily and the hotel rooms are fine and clean enough. We found the restaurant, bar and breakfast to be horrible. Altough the hotel is located in Pudond area It takes a while to get from and to Pudong airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to send us your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
We are very happy that you appreciated our hotel's rooms and hope you had a comfortable stay.
We deeply regret that the experience that you had in our restaurant, bar and during breakfast time was not up to your expectations. We are undergoing an important renovation in our restaurant, as well as preparing an upgrade in our breakfast offerings.
I sincerely hope that this experience will not affect your decision in choosing our hotel again for your future stays in Shanghai and hope to have the opportunity of pleasantly surprising you in the near future.

Georgiana Nedelcu
Guest Services

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong? Share your experiences!