“More than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong

You added Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.838 Dongfang Road/Weifang Road, Pudong, Shanghai 200122, China (Lujiazui)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #44 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Cairo, Egypt
“More than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Really very good experience in this Hotel, Staff in reception, bar, restaurants, room device and concierge are very keen to fulfil your needs and to help in every situation.
Just behind the hotel there is a big mall with many restaurants and cafeteria, including Costa coffee and Starbucks and many shops.
There is a metro station about 500 m. century avenue station from which you can go any where in Shanghai.
If you want to go to Superbrand mall very good but very expensive, you take line 2 from century avenue station to Lujiazui station (2 stops)

Room Tip: Higher floor better view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us, therefore you positive feedback is very much appreciated.

I am also delighted to hear that you find our location to be convenient and even found time in your schedule to explore the surrounding areas.

I would like to wish you safe future travels and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next stay in Shanghai.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The location is good since you can get to the Bund very easily and the hotel rooms are fine and clean enough. We found the restaurant, bar and breakfast to be horrible. Altough the hotel is located in Pudond area It takes a while to get from and to Pudong airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to send us your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
We are very happy that you appreciated our hotel's rooms and hope you had a comfortable stay.
We deeply regret that the experience that you had in our restaurant, bar and during breakfast time was not up to your expectations. We are undergoing an important renovation in our restaurant, as well as preparing an upgrade in our breakfast offerings.
I sincerely hope that this experience will not affect your decision in choosing our hotel again for your future stays in Shanghai and hope to have the opportunity of pleasantly surprising you in the near future.

Georgiana Nedelcu
Granbury, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Not much a a world traveler, I was excited about my husbands new assignment in Shanghai, Pudong, China. And just a bit uneasy about our trip, but the folks at the Courtyard by Marriott made our visit effortless! John at the conceirge desk was especially help to both my husband and I. He arranged for a car with driver to drive my husband to and from work. I had all day to explore the city, John was very careful to make sure I knew how to tour the city and safely return to the hotel. We stayed in the Deluxe Jr Suit (17th floor), it was comfortable and clean. The bed was amazingly comfortable, told my husband we would have to buy that brand for our own home! The hotel has two restuarants, 1 (lowwer level, ask for Elvis or Peter) serves a more western type food, the other serves traditional Chinese food (I recommend the chicken soup, it was delish),. The pictures were especially helpful when ordering, as neither of us read Chinese. We were not disappointed with anything about this hotel, except having to return home. I would recommend anyone to stay there, only draw back is there is no swimming pool on site. Other than that, our every need and wish was fulfilled, with much joy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with such an energetic and positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and I hope that your experience in China was nothing but great. I am glad that we were able to assist you and your husband with your needs and I will make sure to pass your kind words to our Chief Concierge John. We always strive to provide our guests with the most comfortable and effortless experience, so please do not hesitate to ask for any assistance should you travel to Shanghai and stay at our hotel once more.

I would like to wish you all the best and I hope to welcome you back at Courtyard, Pudong in the near future.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here last May and was wonderfully surprised that this was a Courtyard. It is more like a normal Marriott in the US. My room was very spacious. Of course being Platinum with Marriott helped as I got to use the executive floor for check-in and happy hour every evening. The restaturant bar was very nice and I will always remember Sunny at the bar for being, well sunny. She was always bright and cheerful and it was great fun to teach her about American Football. I have not had a chance to go back but Iook forward to when I can.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the higher floors. Decent views from there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Stephen,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your positive feedback.

As our Elite Platinum Member, it is always our pleasure to have you staying with us at our hotel. Even more satisfying is to get such a nice review. I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to forward your compliments to our Spice Café waitress Sunny.

I wish you all the best and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard in April of 2012. There was a very interesting deal on Deluxe Suites when booked more than a month in advance (not refundable). It came to about the same price as a Superior room. I was really impressed by the size of the room, the quality of the furniture, the overall cleanliness and the executive level service. The bed was really comfortable.

The staff was friendly and eager to please. The lobby is large and welcoming.

The executive lounge is top quality. The food was good and the atmosphere was really relaxed. The young ladies working at the lounge were very nice and polite. One afternoon, as I was enjoying a bear, I saw a senior attendant giving English lessons to new attendant to better serve customer. Nice attention!

The hotel is not really close to touristic attractions but at walking distance from the gigantic Next Age shopping mall and a couple of subway stations away from the famous Pearl tower and from the Bund. The Shanghai subway is very simple to use and indications are clear. I enjoyed walking in the neighborhood of the hotel.

If I have the chance to return to the wonderful city of Shanghai, I would return to the Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong without any hesitation.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your extensive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed staying at our hotel. We always strive to provide our guests with the most comfortable experience, therefore I appreciate your compliments, particularly regarding your room and the executive lounge.

I hope you will be coming back to Shanghai in the near future and we will be able to welcome you at our hotel once more.

Poway, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just like the title says....

Pros:
Nice Lobby, Friendly staff, Very reasonable rates, recently remodeled, decent food, inexpensive meeting room rates, [typical Marriott] At Your Service staff attitude, many restaurants within walking distance

Cons:
Staff English could improve; A/C in rooms functional, but not great, buffets are okay (but not great like renaissance or Marriot City Centre), executive lounge not 24/7, charge for printing at business center is higher and even higher at lounge), executive lounge and rooms at middle floors, floors 1 through 4 (not ground) show signs of age (beat up doors, molding, non-remodeled bathroom). No pool. There appears to be a hospital leasing out part of the hotel, which is odd. There are escalators that go no where.

I would stay here again for the rate. I would definitely do another event here. Leo, Cynthia, and entire staff were pleasant to work with, responsive, reasonable, wllling t succumb to my negotiations, and did not stress out over the little details (i.e. let me cancel rooms at 11 PM)..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff. I will definitely make sure to pass your positive feedback to our At Your Service and Event management associates.
As you have mentioned, we are aware that some of our employees lack the English proficiency, but I would like to assure you that special language classes are being conducted and hopefully during your next stay you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Furthermore, I would like to assure you that there are no hospitals operating at our hotel. However, there is a medical check center on the 3rd floor in the office building which is accessible through the side entrance and those escalators are for their convenience. I apologize for any misunderstandings that it may have caused you.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stopped here for food because everything was closed. I tried two different mixed drinks, both of which were not good (including a long island iced tea). I also had the wonton soup, which was unappetizing. I wouldn't recommend eating here. They were very prompt and attentive.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

It is very unfortunate that you had an unpleasant dining experience at our hotel’s restaurant. I have already informed our Director of Food and Beverage and our Executive Chef about your comments regarding the taste of the food and mixed drinks. I can assure you that we will be monitoring the quality of these items to make sure they are of high standards.

I would like to wish you safe future travels and I hope on your next visit to Shanghai, I will have an opportunity to welcome you at our hotel.

Guest Services

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong? Share your experiences!