“Decent hotel for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Atlantis Shanghai

You added Novotel Atlantis Shanghai to your Saves list
Novotel Atlantis Shanghai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.728 Pudong Avenue, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Special Offer
Free breakfast
Ranked #114 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
La Palma, California
“Decent hotel for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here during a recent business trip to Shanghai. Overall, it was a decent stay and for CNY 600 a night you certainly can't complain about much. The rooms are on the smallish size and somewhat spartan, but the property is clean and well maintained. I was on the 35th floor with a very nice view of the Shanghai skyline and riverfront. I also found the room to be very quiet, which was nice. On the negative side, the bed was very firm and I didn't sleep very well my first couple nights. I did enjoy that there was a selection of pillows of various firmness on the bed, but the mattress was just way too hard in my opinion.

The breakfast buffet was quite good and had a very wide selection, including both western and traditional Chinese items. The one thing it was a little bit lacking on was the fresh fruit. Most of the Asian buffet breakfasts I've encountered had a nice selection of fruit which I enjoy, but it was very limited here. Other than that I enjoyed the Dim Sum and other assorted Chinese items which were freshly prepared and quite tasty. There was also a nice selection of freshly prepared pastries.

Moving on to service. I wouldn't say it was "bad" as that certainly wasn't the case. However, by Chinese hotel standards it was just ok. I've stayed in many other Asian hotels where the staff was falling all over themselves when you asked for something, or even when you didn't ask for something. At the Atlantis they were mostly helpful when asked but didn't go out of their way otherwise. Again, for the price you can't really complain.

One "pet peeve" about my stay was the internet access. They require you to sign in using your room number and a password which is the last 6 digits of your passport number. Mine didn't work, so I called the number on the login screen for assistance. Unfortunately that number rang and rang and nobody ever answered it, so I called the guest service line and they insisted that everything was set up correctly and "there must be a problem with my computer." Grrrr...very frustrating. I was there on business and had a ton of work related emails to get through and I had never-ending problems getting online. Finally one afternoon I had a tech support person come up to my room to get me signed in but then I was back to the same frustrating drill the next morning. I really don't understand why they need to make signing into the internet so complicated! I hope management reads this and can find a better solution.

Overall, I would say this is a fine place to stay if you want a clean room at a reasonable price, but don't expect the level of service that you might find at some other hotels in Shanghai.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Daisy C, Public Relations Manager at Novotel Atlantis Shanghai, responded to this review, March 24, 2014

Warmest greeting from Novotel Shanghai Atlantis!

Thank you for your specific comments and I appreciate you writing to tell me what you experienced during your last stay with us. It will definitely help us to improve further.

I am truly sorry for the problems you encountered and I hereby copied this email to my Departmental Managers for their immediate actions and proper trainings for all their staff concerned. Please be rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

The using of your room number and a password which is the last 6 digits of your passport is strictly instructed by the Public Security Bureau. We are sorry to cause you much inconvenience.

I would once again thank you and really appreciate your kind support to us. I definitely would like to welcome you back next time, and ensure you have a more pleasant stay in future.

Novotel Shanghai Atlantis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed in Novotel Atlantis last November, taking the chance of special price of CNY 600, breakfast included. It is fine with this price, fair room. However, I will definitely not stay in this hotel if it costs CNY 900 - 1000 (it's normal price).

Also, breakfast is horrible, I have never seen such bad quality breakfast in my life.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Daisy C, Public Relations Manager at Novotel Atlantis Shanghai, responded to this review, January 15, 2014

Warmest greeting from Novotel Shanghai Atlantis!

Thank you for your specific comments and I appreciate you writing to tell me your experience during your last stay with us. It will definitely help us to improve further.

I noticed that you have some comments about breakfast. I am truly sorry for the problems you encountered and I hereby copied this email to my Departmental Managers for their immediate actions and proper trainings for all their staff concerned.

Please be rest assured that we are taking measures to change our food varieties and improve our food quality to prevent future occurrence of this problem. And I am sure that you will have a more pleasant stay in future.

I would once again thank you and really appreciates your kind support to us, and we definitely likes to welcome you back next time.

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I asked for a hotel next to the airport because I was on transit.
The place is 45 mins away!! That was the only problem. Not their fault, it was totally mine.
I could see the river from my window, not that it matter at 2 am. Whwn you had to leave the hotel al 6.
Room clean and modern, spacius enough for two people, impecable service, their bell boy was cheerfull and exceptional helping. A superb service.

• Stayed January 2014
Daisy C, Public Relations Manager at Novotel Atlantis Shanghai, responded to this review, January 7, 2014

Warmest greeting from Novotel Shanghai Atlantis!

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share with us your impressions about our hotel and our service.

It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to adjust and better our services and facilities to meet the discerning needs of our guest.

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and particularly appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff. Your acknowledgement of our staff service and attitude will definitely motivate them to go the extra mile in assisting guests whenever and wherever possible.

Once again, thank you for your great support to Novotel Shanghai Atlantis! It is always a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Novotel Shanghai Atlantis the next time your travels bring you this way.

Sangho, Tunisia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I visited this hotel because of business meetings. Rooms conditions are good, well equipped, and big enough! Breakfast was good nothing special. Staff friendly helpful, good choice for family trip also. I like this band always the same in every country.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Daisy C, Public Relations Manager at Novotel Atlantis Shanghai, responded to this review, December 23, 2013

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The service was great and location very convenient. Food selection for vegetarians was okay and the staff willing to help. English speaking staff was a great help. The breakfast was elaborate and with good selection. Overall the experience was very good. Checkin and checkout was smooth and the Le Club Accor membership benefits were excellent both on room rates and dining.

• Stayed October 2013

Warmest greeting from Novotel Shanghai Atlantis!

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Your acknowledgement of our staff service and attitude will definitely motivate them to go the extra mile in assisting guests whenever and wherever possible.

Novotel Shanghai Atlantis

Been to Novotel Atlantis Shanghai? Share your experiences!