“My favorite hot pot in Shanghai” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hai Di Lao Hotpot

Hai Di Lao Hotpot
6F,588 Zhangyang Road, Shanghai, China (Lujiazui)
021-38713936
Cuisines: Chinese Hotpot
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lujiazui
Singapore, Singapore
“My favorite hot pot in Shanghai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I LOVE hot pots. Now I don't think this place has the BEST food but it has the best value. As written by others it has great service and by Chinese Standards it isn't the cheapest but the same type of food had in Hong Kong, Macau or Singapore will cost on average 2.5 times as much.

Quality wise you can choose from really quality beef to regular "fei niu".

Service is excellent and I have this everytime I visit Shanghai, at least once!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
“Victim of its success”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Don't expect to head there without reservation. ...up to 2 hours waiting time. How about giving a miss to this place for a while and let the crowds cool down. Will review again in 2014.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Manicure while you wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The branch at Pudong was very crowded when we were there without any reservation. But never fear, you can seat at a small table to wait for your number to be called. Meanwhile you are served tea and can choose to your shoes polished or surprise, surprise, have a nail manicure. The food is fresh and the array of hotpot dips is mind boggling. Service is excellent despite the crowd. It is also open 24 hours for those who cannot make it during the normal meal times. Since it is located on a very busy road in Pudong, surrounded by numerous shopping malls and restaurants, there are ample reasons to take a stroll either before or after a meal to work off the calories.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manila, Philippines
“Service - their main dish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

What struck me the most in this restaurant is their superb service! From the moment we enter, we were already welcomed with utmost hospitality. They made sure that everything is fine. They even gave me a wiper-microfiber for my eyeglasses which was the 1st time I've ever experienced in any restaurant or any commercial establishment.

Personally, it didn't suit my tastebuds. I don't know but maybe it wasn't just my thing. There's this off and odd taste which is a bit different from traditional hotpots. But I can say that the food was fresh and servings were great. Moreso the price is relatively reasonable.

And oh don't forget to order their noodles! You'll surely be entertained by the noodle dance done by their staff. This make for quite a spectacle, stretching dough into 10-foot-long ribbons with sweeping motions around their bodies.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Many enjoy but not my taste”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This restaurant chain is very popular with the locals and tourist alike.
However it did not suit our tastebuds and the staff working on this particular shift could not speak English, therefor making our experience not satisfying as we were not sure what we were ordering. The broths that we dipped our food into had a strange taste and made my mouth feel numb.

• Visited June 2013