“Great location but under par service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mingtown Nanjing Road Youth Hostel

You added Mingtown Nanjing Road Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Mingtown Nanjing Road Youth Hostel
No.258 Tianjin Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Malaysia
“Great location but under par service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Booked 2 rooms in November for two nights. The location is quite good, being next to the popular Nanjing Walking Street. Metro (Line 2, West Nanjing Road) is about 5 minutes walking distance, and the room rate is quite cheap, since generally hotels in Shanghai is very expensive.

There are plenty of restaurants next to this hostel. In the evening, there are hawker stalls just across the street selling all sorts of local street foods.

The room is clean, so as the bed and towers. However since it's a hostel rather than hotel, there's no amenities in the room. There are shampoos and soaps for sale at the lobby though. The room has TV and aircond. Wifi is also accessible on the 3rd floor where my room was, but I couldn't get any successful connection on both my iPad and S4.

The hostel has two washing machines and a dryer. We didn't use any of those though.

There is a lift in this hostel, but it's only operational until 11pm. One night I found it to be switched off even at 10pm. The reason given was to reduce noise pollution at night, which I think is BS. Obviously there are other reasons they don't want us to know.

The staff do not smile. They do not greet us and they do not show any tiny bit of enthusiasm. When I asked about some information on dining at the Oriental Pearl Tower, the female staff just said they do not provide such service and asked me to book online. She could have politely told me that I can purchase the dining ticket at the base on the tower, or give me the website address where I can make my booking.

And it seems this is the typical attitude across all the staff. On the day we checked out, we decided to leave our luggage in the hostel since our flight was at midnight. I expected the staff to tag the luggage for us and bring our luggage to the storage room, but I was wrong. I was simply given tags to tag luggage myself. And I was asked to bring the luggage into the storage room. When I collected my luggage later in the evening, I was again asked to take out the luggage from the storage room myself. My luggage could have been taken by someone else since they never do any verification.

This is not the first time staying in YHA China Hostel. The service in this hostel was significantly under par. IMHO, being a hostel doesn't mean zero service. In contrast, the YHA China in Hangzhou offers much better service. They book show tickets for their guest at cheaper rate. That's another review.

If service is none of your concern, then I would recommend this hostel for budget travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jerusalem, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

You would think that with the abundance of Western tourists in Shanghai and many cheap sleeping options available, Nanjing Road YH would be more customer service oriented, but you would be wrong. We arrived with another couple of friends after we booked in advance by phone a double room for us for five nights and two dorm beds for them for one night. They were overbooked, so we were offered a 4 bed dorm room for a night, with no discount. The rude young man at the desk claimed to be the manager (obviously a lie) and refused to be helpful or even polite about the mistake. After several times raising our voices, he conceded to "allow" us a 10 Yuan discount for the night. How kind. Being after a 15 hour night train ride, we took it. We were given a room that made a dungeon look spacious, with a single "window" facing the interior common room. The next night we were moved into a double room, normal sized and moderately clean, but with an overpowering smell of incense. Later we discovered that the incense was there to cover up the smell of sewage emanating from the bathroom. The toilet was backed up and stayed that way for the duration of our stay, despite us requesting it be fixed 3 times. add to all this uncaring staff, terrible or non existent WiFi, thin walls, and a clothes drier that takes 9 Yuan to power but does nothing but leaving your clothes sopping wet, this place is a disaster. Only good thing is the good location and renovated space, but you are best off spending your money elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days during National Holiday and had a fairly good experience. It was my first time staying in this hostel (I had stayed in three different hostels on previous trips to Shanghai) We had a private twin room which was fine. It was clean and comfortable but there was nowhere to hang clothes which was disappointing. The location was excellent but unfortunately the metro station at East Nanjing was closed after 4pm when we were there and nobody at the hostel notified us of this (although they did know about it) which was fairly inconvenient when we first arrived. The only real problem we encountered was with our reservation. We had booked our room using hostelworld about a month in advance and had called them to change the date of our reservation but when we arrived we were told that due to a problem with their online reservation system our room had been double booked. They told us to stay in our twin room for the first night and that we would possibly have to move to a dorm the following day. After a lengthy, slightly heated, discussion with the manager we got our twin room for our entire stay. The manager was neither friendly nor apologetic for this error and was rather dismissive of us for the remainder of our stay. Overall it was a fairly enjoyable place to stay and I would stay there again but of the hostels I have stayed in in shanghai it is not my favourite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights and wish we found it before (as we stayed in Shanghai previously). The shopping area of Nanjing Road is literally around the corner so everything you need is in walking distance.

We stayed in a double room on the 4th floor. The bathroom looked brand new and the rooms were not only clean and spacious but nicely decorated. The only fault was the ceiling, one third of the ceiling had serious water damage and mouldy areas but we didn't mind. And having a window meant you could hear some noises from the street but all was quiet while wearing ear plugs.

The room had air-conditioning, wifi and a kettle. And the beds were really comfortable with good pillows - a rarity in China!

The staff spoke English and were very friendly and helpful. Every time we dealt with them they had a smile on their face.

The hostel offers a decent selection of food and drinks at a good price. But for something different, nearby is a wide selection of restaurants and fast food outlets.

This is a great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

It is in a great location and we had a good stay there for 2 nights. It is just a few hundred metres from the East Nanjing Road Metro station and has great facilitate.

The staff are all English speaking, very helpful and also very happy bunch! We were up on the 4th floor (Room 406) and by the lift, we thought it was going tp be noisy with people coming and going but it was not to bad at all as they shut down the lift at 11pm and people have to use the stairs.

They have a great little eatery on the ground floor with excellent value western and local meals and taste superb!

The rooms are quite spacious. have air con and our room had what looked like a new bathroom. We had good wi-fi from the room as well, so that was good.

Even though you are one street away from the very busy Nanjing Road, it is quiet at night and you can't here hardly any traffic as not too many people use the road for walking or sightseeing.

Oh...and it is worth booking early as they are always busy due to their reputation and prices! :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this hostel and were happy. The location is really central cause it's around 100m from nanjing road and the metro station (line 2). We booked a double room with private bathroom (n 210). The room was clean and quite modern. The negative point is the noise, you can hear your neighbour and the street. Furthermore the street around is really smelly cause of the street food. However You can have access to wifi in every floor. The service is good and speak English. Don't forget to bring your rent in cash as they don't accept card and you'll be charge 100 yuan deposit for the key. For few days in shanghai, it's a good place to stay :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at one of the double rooms on the third floor. No coomplaints as to the cleancliness, AC worked fine, bathroom was clean and well-kept. True, I had to go to the common room for the wifi connection but seriously - it's a hostel, so let's not be too picky. They will ask you for a 100Y reposit and promptly return it once you give your key back - since they are not taking a credit card, seems only natural. Yes, it was a bit noisy due to the street but who cares - and people who stay in hostels should always have earplugs handy anyway ;)

Hostel is literally five minutes away from the E Nanjing metro stop - but be sure to exit from exit 1, go right and then turn right at the first street - walk one block and you should see it.

Room Tip: 313 was great - bring earplugs though.