“Shanghai Lilongs - time travel” 5 of 5 stars

City Center, Shanghai, China
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Let us guide you... we know the way!Shanghai is there to be discovered: temples, wet markets and street vendors, idyllic parks, beautiful Art Deco heritage, splendid villas mysterious old lanes and glittering sky scrapers... Shanghai has it all! And there is no better way to explore this exciting city then on foot! The choice of what to see is overwhelming, so why not join some passionate walkers who are living in this city for years and know exactly where to go? The Noodle team takes you on a tour off the beaten track, shows you the backstreets and the real life of Shanghai. We just love this city and we would love to share it with you!Noodle Walking Tours offers private, tailor-made walking tours for groups or just for one person. Our guides speak English, Dutch, German and Chinese. Why not treat yourself to a unique city experience, go places where you normally wouldn’t (dare to) go? Join us for a walk and let us guide you… we know the way!
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Shanghai Lilongs - time travel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Do this tour early in your Shanghai stay to avoid tourist traps!

Noodle Tour guide had my head in a spin. One minute we are dodging Shanghai traffic and the next transported back in time wandering through a peaceful lilong.

A truly memorable tour.

3 hour walking trip in the rain zooshed past very quickly and enjoyably.

Glad I had rainproof overshell on the day.

Highly recommended.

Visited March 2012
Zuiderling, Front Office Manager at Noodle Walking Tours Shanghai, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Thank you braving the rain and cold with me, but most of all thank you for sharing your very special family history with me. I do hope you come back to China with your family one day.

3 attraction reviews
“Great !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

A nice trip among streets, lanes and history of the French concession !
Thanks to our guide, we have learned many anecdotes which help us to understand nowadays life in shanghai (the Chinese, the French, the Russians, the Americans & the English former relationships in Shanghai).
I warmly recommend world of noodles tours !

Thank you very much!
Shanghai
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've been on the walking tour that starts at The Bund and goes to Suzhou Creek and I liked it very much. We've got a lot of information about the neighbourhood, the English Consession, seen beautiful buildings and a lot of how the local people live. I learnt a lot and have made many pictures.
Thank you Tahlita for showing us around. It was great!

Visited December 2011
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“A walking tour through Shanghai History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I recently visited Shanghai fro the second time - but with 14 years in-between! When we visited in 1997 we were traveling independently and the visit was hard work - leaving not much time to just enjoy the places we had seen. We were eager this time to explore the city again and discover more about the history, people and culture. We contacted Noodle Walking Tours as they seemed to provide something a little "different", and because my husband was looking for a dedicated photography tour as well as some history and "off the beaten track" insights to the city. From the first email contact Noodle Tours were professional but friendly and flexible. Although they did not meet us at our Hotel, the meeting points were detailed and easy to find. We booked two tours and would have the same guide for both.
When we first met our guide, Talitha, she sat us down to discuss the history of Shanghai and why the concession areas had been created. She then led us first through the more famous area of the Bund to and then to the areas no tourist routes usually visit, and explained to us the historical background of each place.
Talitha, despite not being a local, was very knowledgeable of the city and provided extra insights into the history and everyday life of Shanghai not found in the guide books. As she is also a photographer, she was able to point out small details and scenes she had found on her photography "jaunts" that we would not have noticed otherwise.
When we mentioned we might be planning to come back for an extended stay in Shanghai, Talitha went out of her way to give plenty of tips and suggestions for how to live in the city as a foreigner.
The next morning when my husband was due to take the photography tour we woke to rain. Talitha was very flexible, however, and simply changed the tour to a combined History and Photography focus.
We can recommend Noodle Walking Tours to anyone wanting an insight into Shanghai.

Visited November 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“If you want to experience the real Shanghai, go with Noodle Tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

After reading the fantastic reviews, I decided to also try this tour. I love to learn about other cultures, and going on regular touristy tours just wouldn't do it for me. Noodle walking tours was worth every penny. I saw things that I know for sure I wouldn't see by myself or in a big tour group. My tour guide took me through the backstreets of Shanghai where the real action is. Took some great pictures of the market place and daily Chinese life, and had some very yummy Chinese dumplings. My guide, Elke, was informative and very professional. She designed the tour to my needs and interests. Highly recommend Noodle walking tours.

Visited October 2011