“Lovely food and ambiance - cozy and generous servings could be shared!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shook!

Shook!
5-6F The Swatch Art Peace Hotel, No.23 Nanjing East Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)
021-23298522
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #141 of 12,550 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Japanese, International, Fusion, Asian fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: The Bund
Hong Kong
“Lovely food and ambiance - cozy and generous servings could be shared!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My colleagues and I were very fortunate to have booked dinner here at Shook! restaurant, located at the corner of Nanjing East Road and the Zhongshan East Second Road (The Bund) for a late sit-down. It is a mild yet comforting fusion menu with very familiar but a nice twist to everything.

One thing is - most restaurants with a Bund view will unfortunately be north of the reasonable price tag, but if you consider the view, location and other establishments in the area of Western dining persuasion, their price is not out of the ordinary but be prepared to pay around US$160/head which includes a bottle of their lower-priced wine and full all-course meal (appetizer, entree, dessert, beverages and wine).

Their slow-cooked beef stew (Menu was from April 10 2013) is very good, and so was the seafood lobster noodles. Please note, however, the portions are very very generous - I do think that if 3 persons went, you could get away with 2 main courses and 2 appetizers.

When the summer comes along, do head up to the rooftop of this building to enjoy a drink - it's a more chilled / laid-back option than the building bar to its right (I honestly forgot the name of the other place).

A point to note: the food service maybe slightly slow on busy evenings but that just means a few more sentences amongst friends while your food is being prepared. Unfortunately we wanted to get home early so we did want quicker service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto/Montreal
“Let the Chef become your friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I literally (and unknowingly) bumped into the chef at Shook and he helped me out. Then I realised I had seen him in a picture and introduced myself to him. Chef Matthew Ona is the kind of guy you wish you'd bump into everywhere. Unassuming, funny, clever and most of all awe inspiring with his food creations. The service was very attentive with the (assistant) bar manager imploring me to tell him whatever I want to be happy. The desire to serve was completely genuine. The rooftop is being redone right now and I will go back when it is complete for sure.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
“New owner, too expensive!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I went to Shook last year (2012) for Valentine's Day and it was a great experience. The food was delicious, the service was impecable an the price was very reasonable. We loved it so much that I planned a group of friends and us to go (12 of us). I was so excited to share this great find in Shanghai with them! I was so embarrassed, surprised, and humiliated when they said there were new owners since the last time I'd been there, and the menu's prices were (no kidding) tripled! We shared some appetizers, our entrees, and shared desserts, plus two bottles of their cheapest wine (550 RMB each) and our bill totaled over 2100 RMB for each couple! I nearly fell out of my chair! The next day I sent them all apology e-mails as I felt like I put them all in severe financial straights! (Even though they said I didn't). It's a reasonable price, my husband says, for that kind of meal, but I was shocked to find out that they had made such drastic changes. We live in Shanghai and I'm once again amazed at how fast things change here. As we say over here, "That's China!". It's safe to say, I'll never go there again.

Visited April 2013
Munich, Germany
“Best prawns ever. Extensive wine list, great steak and seafood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Four our final night in Shanghai my wife and i wanted something memorable. At the recommendation of one of the staff at The Fairmont a table was reserved for us. Shook has a great drink list and the suggested appetizer was "dancing prawn". The server told us how it was garnished but I didn't understand. They were undoubtably the best I have ever had. My wife had steak and I had seafood pasta. Her steak was garnished with asparagus and potatoes. My seafood pasta had scallops, shrimp and fish with Shanghai-style noodles.
This is a Malaysian chain from Kuala Lumpur. It is in the Swatch Peace Hotel on the top floor. Go in the side entrance off Nanjing St. East. The elevator is needed to take you to the fifth floor. Get reservations in advance. Our hotel called ahead of our arrival and we had a seat by the window with a delightful view over the Huang Po.
If you can't spend the money for great food and service don't go. But if you want to treat yourself this is one way to do so.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A great atmosphere, good menu of food and wines with fresh produce.
An attentive Head Chef and waiting staff.
Wine list is extensive but in line with Shanghais high prices for wine so no surprise.

Visited March 2013