“Let the Chef become your friend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shook!

Shook!
5-6F The Swatch Art Peace Hotel, No.23 Nanjing East Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)
021-23298522
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 12,416 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Japanese, International, Fusion, Asian fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: The Bund
Toronto/Montreal
“Let the Chef become your friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I literally (and unknowingly) bumped into the chef at Shook and he helped me out. Then I realised I had seen him in a picture and introduced myself to him. Chef Matthew Ona is the kind of guy you wish you'd bump into everywhere. Unassuming, funny, clever and most of all awe inspiring with his food creations. The service was very attentive with the (assistant) bar manager imploring me to tell him whatever I want to be happy. The desire to serve was completely genuine. The rooftop is being redone right now and I will go back when it is complete for sure.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
“New owner, too expensive!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I went to Shook last year (2012) for Valentine's Day and it was a great experience. The food was delicious, the service was impecable an the price was very reasonable. We loved it so much that I planned a group of friends and us to go (12 of us). I was so excited to share this great find in Shanghai with them! I was so embarrassed, surprised, and humiliated when they said there were new owners since the last time I'd been there, and the menu's prices were (no kidding) tripled! We shared some appetizers, our entrees, and shared desserts, plus two bottles of their cheapest wine (550 RMB each) and our bill totaled over 2100 RMB for each couple! I nearly fell out of my chair! The next day I sent them all apology e-mails as I felt like I put them all in severe financial straights! (Even though they said I didn't). It's a reasonable price, my husband says, for that kind of meal, but I was shocked to find out that they had made such drastic changes. We live in Shanghai and I'm once again amazed at how fast things change here. As we say over here, "That's China!". It's safe to say, I'll never go there again.

Visited April 2013
Beijing, China
“Best prawns ever. Extensive wine list, great steak and seafood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Four our final night in Shanghai my wife and i wanted something memorable. At the recommendation of one of the staff at The Fairmont a table was reserved for us. Shook has a great drink list and the suggested appetizer was "dancing prawn". The server told us how it was garnished but I didn't understand. They were undoubtably the best I have ever had. My wife had steak and I had seafood pasta. Her steak was garnished with asparagus and potatoes. My seafood pasta had scallops, shrimp and fish with Shanghai-style noodles.
This is a Malaysian chain from Kuala Lumpur. It is in the Swatch Peace Hotel on the top floor. Go in the side entrance off Nanjing St. East. The elevator is needed to take you to the fifth floor. Get reservations in advance. Our hotel called ahead of our arrival and we had a seat by the window with a delightful view over the Huang Po.
If you can't spend the money for great food and service don't go. But if you want to treat yourself this is one way to do so.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A great atmosphere, good menu of food and wines with fresh produce.
An attentive Head Chef and waiting staff.
Wine list is extensive but in line with Shanghais high prices for wine so no surprise.

Visited March 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Paying for the ambience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Located across the BUND in a old colonial building. Food was so so nothing spectacular. It is the view and ambience you are paying for.

Visited March 2013