“Lacking information and overpriced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Newman Tours-Shanghai Private One-day Tour

Newman Tours-Shanghai Private One-day Tour
Suite 311-313, 3rd F, Tower 3, Donghai Plaza, 28 East Yuyuan Road, Shanghai 200040, China
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Our "2013 Tripadvisor Certificate Of Excellence" winning company use native English speaking guides, iPads, and Chinese cultural activities to ensure your tour is informative and memorable. We have more than three years' experience leading historical and interactive tours in Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, and of course Shanghai. So what are you waiting for? Sign up for one of the following amazing Shanghai tours today: The Shanghai Ghost Tour, The French Concession Tour, The Gangster Tour, The Bund Tour, The Kung Fu Tour, The Ancient Shanghai Tour, The Shanghai Museum Tour, The Jewish Ghetto Tour...
Shanghai, China
5 attraction reviews
“Lacking information and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had heard that these tours were great, so took my family of adults on the Gangster tours as we wanted some more information about the history of Shanghai. The price was a little high, but we thought it must be worth it. We joined other adults, so there were 7 adults on the tour which started out like a bad child's play (poor acting and awkward guides). We had 2 guides who had recently moved to Shanghai and seemed to have limited knowledge of the topic of the tour. One of the guides often lead us the wrong way and used the excuse that she was bad at directions. This is no excuse you are a tour guide. We walked the streets stopping briefly at the important sites, where only minimal information was given. When asked for more information or questiona the guides didnt seem to know and would make something up. We were not given any real idea of the histroy and the information was given unorganised, so it was hard to follow. At the end the tour concludes with a drink (35RMB max) and some old gambling games. Both the guides were not 100% sure of the games or the rules and this was the worst part of the tour. If you are a guide you must have knowledge of the topic, you cannot just fob it off as "I not sure". All participants ended the tour with a feeling of being overcharged for a tour that gave us no real information and finished with an anti-climax. For $50 NZD you would have expected more. The best part of the tour was that the group (who didnt know each other previously) decided to share how bad the tour was over a dinner together at a local restaurant. If you are going to charge that much you need to make sure your guides are knowledgeable. Some other tours might be better and I know some of the other guides may be more informed, but the tour for us was a big let down! I dont think I would be recommending this tour to anyone.

Visited June 2013
Newmantours, Owner at Newman Tours-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear ExpatNZers

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate feedback from our guests, and we are sorry that you felt your Public Gangster Tour did not live up to your expectations.

The Public Gangster Tour is an Interactive Tour, and as we mention on our website, our guides present the tour in the persona of a colonial gangster. This aspect of the tour has always received positive feedback, so I’m sorry that you did not find it entertaining. Perhaps you would have preferred one of our more traditional History Tours, which include the French Concession, Bund, and Shanghai Museum Tours.

The leader of your Public Gangster Tour has lived in Beijing for two years, has a bachelor's degree in Chinese Studies, and has been leading tours in Shanghai for more than two months. In addition, he is very well read when it comes to Chinese history, and has received a number of 5-star Tripadvisor reviews in response to his leading the Gangster Tour that you went on. As such, it comes as a surprise to hear that you felt he lacked knowledge on the subject of colonial gangsters, particularly since the Gangster Tour is very carefully researched, scripted, and trained. We would therefore greatly appreciate it if you could email us any particular questions you felt he was unable to answer so that we can look into this in more detail.

The assistant guide on your tour was, admittedly, less experienced, but only delivered a few short speeches during the course of your tour. We apologise if you felt this was to the detriment of your experience, and will review our policy to ensure that we maintain the high quality of our tours.

If you are interested in going on another tour in the future then we would love to take you on one of our History Tours so that you can see the more traditional side of what we do. If you do so I feel confident that you will be able to see for yourself why we have just been awarded a “5 Star Certificate Of Excellence For 2013” by Tripadvisor.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Newman

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Historical Bund Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We are two seasoned travellers in our 60's. This walk was an excellent mix of historical facts and entertaining anecdotes enhanced by the use of ipad pictures and maps. First and foremost our two guides, Chloe and Ariel were fun, engaging and extremely well informed about all aspects of the area.
This was our third visit to Shanghai but the first time we really felt connected with the Bund. You can see but not really understand what you are looking at even with a guide book. This tour was a very worthwhile experience which we would highly recommend to other people.

Melbourne
10 attraction reviews
“Great fun tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband, daughter and I participated in the Gangster tour recently and we were the only ones participating. It is a tour that involves participants to partake in games and activities so we could not get the full impact of the tour but we did have a good time. Our guides were "Bill and Harry" and the tour of around 2 hours was set in the 1940"s and we walked around a part of the French Concession area looking mainly at 2 influential families and their properties gained from bribery, corruption and opium. It was very interesting to learn more of the history of the British, French, Russians and Jewish people in Shanghai.

We ended up at Sasha's Bar and Restaurant with a complimentary drink and in the end, had dinner.

It was a great tour and we highly recommend it to learn more of the history of Shanghai

14 attraction reviews
“A nice trek around Shanghai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Trip was fun and informative about the ghostly happenings in Shanghai. Some good illustrative pictures on the iPad and well researched.

My eighteen year old son and his girlfriend also enjoyed it.

I would have preferred a few more stories from the 1920s and 1930s period and perhaps some stories of people who had been buried in the Bubbling Well Cemetery.

Hong Kong, China
3 attraction reviews
“Rain didn't matter - the tours were so much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was a really rainy Friday morning and I almost canceled the tour - Chloe emailed me ahead that I am the only one left to confirm (everyone else canceled), and I didn't want to force her to go into this weather. Luckily, she wrote that she is to go anyway along with a couple of her colleagues... Well, I am really happy I came along!!! Chloe is a fantastic tour guide - knowledgable, engaging, energetic and very friendly! She had lots of stories to tell on "The Bund Tour" (in the morning) and the "Ancient Shanghai Tour"(in the afternoon), lots of very interesting pictures to show on her iPad, certainly has a great wealths of history and language knowledge. I find that for me it's the best way to learn new things and remember them for a long time. Ariel and other people that went along were all adding to the fun conversations! I had a wonderful experience on these private tours, and would certainly go on other activities offered by this company when i am back in Shanghai. I highly recommend them to my friends going to Shanghai for a visit. I would have given more stars:-) Thank you very much, Chloe, Ariel and Ross and others !!!