“Private Markets Extravaganza” 5 of 5 stars

$65*
and up
Ranked #3 of 160 Activities in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Springfield IL
10 attraction reviews
“Private Markets Extravaganza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked the private Markets Extravaganza. It was about $160 US for 3 hours, but our guide spent over 4 hours with us. We deviated from the usual program because we had specific needs. We had to find replacement chair covers for an antique Chinese Rosewood dining room set, and our guide took us to the best person in the silk market. She helped us find what we needed, explained all to the tailor, negotiated us a very fair price, and made certain all was delivered to our hotel within 48 hours! Then we needed to find a jade bracelet for a family member. She took us to the Pearl and Jade market and helped us through the myriad vendors until we found exactly what we were looking for, then negotiated a 75% discount (yes we paid 1/4 of asking price). This guide saved us many times the price of the tour, as well as taking us to other interesting markets during our time together. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND a private Market Extravaganza with UNtours!

Shanghai, China
“Thumbs way up for the Vegetarian Voyage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've only been in Shanghai for 1 week so far, but here are my observations thus far:
1. In many restaurants, "vegetarian" means "not too much meat"
2. In others, "vegetarian" means "various proteins, shaped and prepared like meat". Sometimes this is delicious, other times, it's a little weird/awkward/not that great.

Thanks to UnTour, I now know how to order some wonderful truly vegetarian dishes, and a few great spots where I can find real vegetarian fare, made with - who knew?! - actual vegetables!

Last night, recounting our favorite foods eaten so far, all were from the veggie voyage!! THANK YOU KYLE!!

Beijing, China
14 attraction reviews
“Great tour, guide, info and food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I took my mom, sister and a friend on an UnTour Breakfast tour last weekend. Living in Beijing and working for a culture center myself, I was incredibly impressed by all aspects of the experience. We visited everything from a traditionally bustling morning park to food stalls with a range of offerings. Our guide, Monica, was patient and full of knowledge, passion and energy, one of the best guides I've had in China. The customer service when booking the tour was top notch, and I would recommend these tours to long-time expats or newcomers to Shanghai. Thanks for the experience!

Melbourne, Australia
“Breakfast Street Eats with Kyle - must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I went on the Breakfast Street Eats tour with Kyle last week and it was definitely one of the highlights of my visit to Shanghai! Kyle was very gracious in going ahead with the tour even if it was just me going on the tour. I am vegetarian and we had a variety of dishes that catered for my tastes and were very delicious! I also enjoyed walking through the little alleyways where you see how locals really live and not the watered down touristy spots. Kyle was a fantastic guide and felt like I was meeting up with an old friend, not at all impersonal. He speaks Chinese too which was awesome to listen to. Definitely go on one of UnTour's tours - you won't regret it.

Shanghai, China
“Delicious Dumplings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I took the Untour Shanghai's Dumpling Delights tour- and the name says it all! Our tour guides, Jamie and Kyle, were very interesting and knowledgeable as they took us roaming the streets of Shanghai.They had the best dumpling spots picked out for us and they were delicious. A must for anyone - visitor and resident alike. I live in Shanghai and now know where to go for the best dumplings in town.